A better abortion poll that is still horribly flawed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:46:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A better abortion poll that is still horribly flawed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What should be the penalty of abortion under typical circumstances (No rape, No immediate threat to life, but would permanently damage the abortive mother in some tangible way)
No Penalty.

A fine, some professional discipline, maybe some time in the county jail. A slap on the wrist. Abortion should be treated like any other petty and dumb thing like fighting, speeding and ripping off $100.

A Hefty Fine...some prison, just a couple of years though...abortion should be treated like a drug or sex crime or any other public order issue.

A long time in jail... not life. Abortion should be treated like more common violent crimes than what results in someone's death on purpose.

Life Imprisonment. Abortion isn't exactly murder, but it's right next to it or homicide statutes should be amended to make the definition of "person" any human chemical reaction caused by the union of One Egg and One Sperm, but I don&#

Abortion is Murder. The Death Penalty isn't. I'll go from there.

Abortion is an especially heinous crime that even the Death Penalty cannot give fair justice for.  I'm thinking torture, mutiliation, you know...something that may or may not lead to death for the convict, but would be worse than death.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: A better abortion poll that is still horribly flawed  (Read 2193 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »

Abortion is not a major issue for me but I notice that the question here is quite flawed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since when does a typical abortion involve a situation in which a the abortive mother would be permanently damaged in some way if the abortion did not take place?
The pregnancy was wanted, but other things came up that would make her unable to care for the child and difficult for her to put the child up for adoption or for the child to be adopted. OR The pregnancy is so unwanted, she might contemplate suicide or be unable to take care of herself or have other children if she brought the child to term.

And since when are those situations typical?  Also, while I'll certainly grant that carrying a child to term and then giving it up for adoption because the mother is either unwilling or unable to care for it after birth will cause a considerable disruption in that mother's life, it doesn't normally create permanent damage.

Well, the child may never be adopted and sometimes it does cause psychosis to carry a child to term and give it up on the spot. Then again, there are open adoptions and that lowers these incidents.

The demand for babies to adopt in the United States is such that even problem babies get adopted.  (There is a shortage of people willing to adopt older kids but that is at best peripheral to the issue of abortion.)  As for your psychosis, that is certainly not typical.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies