The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:47:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last  (Read 28863 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:14 PM »

Fifty years ago today, our nation's highest court handed down a decision which to an oppressed people, was a clarion call of equal rights. Suddenly, the weight of injustice which had long strangled them under its imposing mass was beginning to be lifted.

Today, my home state has made another step forward for the equal rights of all of its citizens. For the first time in our nation's history, a state has extended the right to marry to all of its people, and has not confined them to a particular moral vision of a family. For the first time, they are free.

My soul is overjoyed. I have never before seen such an impressive step forward for civil rights. May this be the first step in a journey in which the walls of hatred that divide our country fall, once and for all.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »

Which people are they? What was the article?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:36:42 PM »

I cannot oppose the personal choice to marry more than one person.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 04:43:39 PM »

I do not believe morality should be the controlling point of the law.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 08:28:53 PM »

I would respond to that by saying that the change in societal mores has removed a great deal of stigma from the practice of bearing children out of the confines of matrimony. Therefore, the once clear relationship between marriage and reproduction does not exist any longer, and the concept of fertility within certain constraints is no longer a legitimate goal that the state may advance without maligning a broadened concept of equal protection.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »

Where in that post did I say we were?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 08:41:28 PM »

I'd have to study such relationships on a case by case basis to answer correctly, Brambila.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 08:48:48 PM »

Not a 10 year old. But when he attains the common law age of maturity as practiced, 14, I'd say it's his Constitutional right.

And don't let your gag reflex override your jurisprudence.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »

But the personal choice to marry whom one chooses must be there, even it means legalized polygamy.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »

If grounded in a theory of personal liberty and based upon current sociological evidence of maturity or a convincing analysis of legal tradition and interpretation, than yes I can support an age of consent, provided it is not excessively high.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 09:11:54 PM »

That might be, but you still have rights.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

No, it is the husband's choice. But she is free to find another husband without her current one's consent.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 09:44:09 PM »

May I ask if you've ever entertained the question of the implications of laws criminalizing polygamy with regard to liberty? And please, your rude comments as to the putative intelligence of my writings are unwarranted. Defend what you believe, don't insult.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »

Says who?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

From StatesRights:

If you are 15 you can have sex with anyone you want
 no matter what. If your parents are against it or stop you they can be arrested for violation of a childs "constitutional rights". If a 15 year old gets pregnant as a result of screwing around they can have an abortion w/out consent or knowledge of a parent. Then when she is ready she can marry 2-10 different men depending on her choice. She then can have as many children as she wants and never see them because she is using her right to go out and work and spend absolutely no time with her children because that would mess with their right to think for themselves and be independent. Then when the child acts out and puts her mother in the hospital the mother would have no right to spank her because that would be violation of a childs "rights".

Well, StatesRights, if you change 15 to 14 in the age of consent section that's about it.

And, John Ford, births in wedlock are growing less common and frankly, I don't see the moral difference.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 03:12:01 PM »

Well, no one has to bear a child, but some people decide to. And if they do it outside of wedlock, we have no reason to celebrate that child's birth any less. For at that moment, they have boundless potential.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 02:04:53 PM »

It is not my personal inclination to support that as a reason to have an abortion. However, I feel it is a woman's choice, and if she does not wish to give birth to a homosexual child, so be it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 03:06:09 PM »

Because a woman has a choice, aflteich. It is not my duty to pry into her reasoning. But in principle, I have to make my position, even if it means that I run the risk of never having been born.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 03:38:13 PM »

How much that statement resembles the sixth commandment. But much like the sixth commandment, it is an oversimplification not in keeping with the complexity of modern life and changes in the concept of morality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies