The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last  (Read 28868 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« on: May 17, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2004, 08:52:20 PM by Gov. NickG »

I cannot oppose the personal choice to marry more than one person.

Migrendal-
You have said in another thread that you oppose cultural practices that encourage women to stay at home to care for children.

But don't you think that most exisiting cultures that sanction polygamy are oppressive to women to an even greater extent (e.g. fundamentalist Mormon and Muslim communities)?  

I would go so far as to say that polygamy, like pedopilia, is inherently oppressive, at least in the forms that it is seen in real life.

I don't think polygamy is comparable to gay marriage, where the same concerns about oppression don't exist.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 09:28:24 PM »

But the personal choice to marry whom one chooses must be there, even it means legalized polygamy.
Should a first wife have to approve before a husband can marry a second wife?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37:47 PM »

No, it is the husband's choice. But she is free to find another husband without her current one's consent.

But isn't a marriage a contract between people stating that they will remain faithful only to each other?  Why should one person be allowed to unilaterally break that contract?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:35:15 PM »

Migrendel, of course, is going to ask "says who?". And that's a good question- who says? Why do we follow morality? Why do we do good and not bad? What is the purpose of right and worng?

A perfect example of how marriage has been diminished is proven by Migrendel's belief. First marriage is between a man and a woman. Then it's a man and man. Then it's three men and three women... why doesn't the entire world just forget about marriage?

Then have a big sex party!! haha just joking.. I tell you why we need it. Because it keeps order. With out morality, people would go around killing people. They would would be like Iraq was on a bad day. I don't care who is gay or not. Gay people don't need to get marriaged! If they want to get marriaged well then they are SOL.

There is a difference between universal moral principles, like acting such that you do not harm others, and moral laws dictated only by specific religions.

Pres. Bush trying to outlaw gay marriage is no more acceptable to a free society than Pres. Kerry trying to outlaw eating meat on Fridays during Lent.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:37:39 PM »

I think you may be right.  In fact, on public radio this morning was a brief interview with a man who said all the images of two men kissing, or two women in love, etc, will ultimately help his case.  

So, not only are the foul bastards emitting the "rest of the story" but also they are unwittingly helping the traditionalists.  Now I have two reasons to impugn the press.

Certainly the media tend to be socially more liberal than the country as a whole.  But how do conservatives suggest the media cover this story in an unbiased way?  Everytime I see a discussion segment on the story, they always have both sides represented.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies