Korematsu v. United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Korematsu v. United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion of the ruling
right

wrong

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Korematsu v. United States  (Read 3069 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/korematsu.html

Wrong decision, and one of the worst ones the Court ever issued.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:59:19 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:25:01 AM »

I can't say I agree with Korematsu.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:42:15 PM »

Option 1
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »

Solid decision and an example of the proper response of courts in wartime.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »

Horrendous decision. The Supreme Court simply ignored the habeas corpus clause, the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment, and the separation of powers.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 02:11:21 PM »

Horrendous decision. The Supreme Court simply ignored the habeas corpus clause, the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment, and the separation of powers.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 03:17:44 PM »

As much as people like to focus on Korematsu, it was simply the natural result of the unanimous Hirabayashi v. United States.

Justice Roberts's point about contradictory proclamations was as dubious as the "substantive due process" doctrine that supposedly made it relevant.

Justice Jackson focused on the racial discrimination element and harshness of the measure. What the first has to do with anything, I'm not sure. The latter matters only if one believes that the federal government is restrained by its enumerated powers, and must, under the Necessary and Proper Clause, show a means-end fit. Since Jackson shared in the New Deal Court's silent denial of the enumeration principle, this second point is also irrelevant.

Justice Murphy, as usual, was the most passionate dissenter. "[T]o infer that examples of individual disloyalty ... justify discriminatory action against the entire group is to deny that under our system of law individual guilt is the sole basis for deprivation of rights." Of course, Korematsu was not being treated this way for the crimes of other individuals, but because of his race.

Murphy's point was that the measure was racially discriminatory to an extent that could not survive strict scrutiny. The argument that there was no time to "treat ... on an individual basis by holding investigations and hearings to separate the loyal from the disloyal, as was done in the case of persons of German and Italian ancestry," he wrote, was refuted by the facts: "Nearly four months elapsed after Pearl Harbor before the first exclusion order was issued; nearly eight months went by until the last order was issued; and the last of these 'subversive' persons was not actually removed until almost eleven months had elapsed. Leisure and deliberation seem to have been more of the essence than speed."

Thus, Murphy concluded, "the order deprive[d] all those within its scope of the equal protection of the laws as guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment."

There is only one problem with this argument: there is no such provision.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2006, 03:47:18 PM by Emsworth »

Thus, Murphy concluded, "the order deprive[d] all those within its scope of the equal protection of the laws as guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment."

There is only one problem with this argument: there is no such provision.
This sounds like a precursor to the Bolling v. Sharpe.

It is true that none of the dissenters made valid arguments. For example, one could have easily pointed out that the federal government had deprived Korematsu of liberty without due process of law: he was imprisoned pursuant to an executive order, not an Act of Congress. Even more clear is the Fourth Amendment argument: the internment of the Japanese clearly constituted an unreasonable seizure.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »

Was there no statute involved? I know in Hirabayashi, the Congress effectively ratified FDR's action by imposing penalties and such.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:48:36 PM »

Was there no statute involved? I know in Hirabayashi, the Congress effectively ratified FDR's action by imposing penalties and such.
If I recall correctly, there was a statute allowing the Secretary of War to exclude individuals from "military zones." I am not aware of any statute authorizing internment, although I may be wrong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies