Religion & Political Affiliation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:57:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religion & Political Affiliation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Religion & Political Affiliation  (Read 15992 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2004, 11:20:56 PM »

Though isn't Ireland becoming less catholic--indeed less religious--as its become wealthier?

(I've seen some reports calling it the most globalized country in europe)

Yeah I read that in Foriegn Policy magazine that Ireland is themost globalized country inthe world.  I think that it is still by far the nation with the highest percentage of church attendence though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2004, 01:07:37 AM »

But wait...aren't most (I actually have to exclude myself here)...Lutherans scandanavian/german and midwesterners?

(I realize that in the carolinas there is a large amount of republican lutherans, but don't the majority live in the upper midwest?)

correct. Lutherns outside of here however tend to belong to the more conservative denominations. Outside of here, Iowa, Wisconsin and the Dakotas, you won't find too many ELCA members.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2004, 03:35:53 AM »

Though isn't Ireland becoming less catholic--indeed less religious--as its become wealthier?

(I've seen some reports calling it the most globalized country in europe)

Yeah I read that in Foriegn Policy magazine that Ireland is themost globalized country inthe world.  I think that it is still by far the nation with the highest percentage of church attendence though.

Too much is made about Ireland's staunch catholicism. The Irish may go to church, but they're really not that religious. I think many of them go just for something to do! Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2004, 08:22:31 AM »

But wait...aren't most (I actually have to exclude myself here)...Lutherans scandanavian/german and midwesterners?

(I realize that in the carolinas there is a large amount of republican lutherans, but don't the majority live in the upper midwest?)

No.  

The Lutheran churches are an exception to the general decline among old line protestant churches in the United States.  There has been a quiet and general expansion of lutherans as many protestants flee the politically correct 'churches.'  

No, the majority of American Lutherans do NOT "live in the upper midwest."

Acutally as Scandanavian Americans slowly drop their historical membership in Lutheran churchs (which has been going on for more than two decades) the percentage of Luterans residing in the "upper midwest" has been slightly declining while it has been growing nationwide.

Ethnically, the largest component of lutheran churches in the United States is probably (surprise) people whose historical antecedants are German.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2004, 01:44:48 PM »

Mexico, Brazile and South Africa were sending missionaries into England.  Quite an ironic twist.

I hate those arrogant bastards.
pieman
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2004, 02:01:56 PM »

No.  

The Lutheran churches are an exception to the general decline among old line protestant churches in the United States.  There has been a quiet and general expansion of lutherans as many protestants flee the politically correct 'churches.'  

Acutally as Scandanavian Americans slowly drop their historical membership in Lutheran churchs (which has been going on for more than two decades) the percentage of Luterans residing in the "upper midwest" has been slightly declining while it has been growing nationwide.

Ethnically, the largest component of lutheran churches in the United States is probably (surprise) people whose historical antecedants are German.

The lutheran churches in the rural parts of Minnesota are much more conservative than the lutheran churches in the metro area.

Lutheran churches in Minnesota tend to reflect the general population in the area they are located rather than being strongly one party or the other in general.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »

No.  

The lutheran churches in the rural parts of Minnesota are much more conservative than the lutheran churches in the metro area.

Lutheran churches in Minnesota tend to reflect the general population in the area they are located rather than being strongly one party or the other in general.

Like Baptists/Pentacostalists in WV?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »

No.  

Have you compared the Synod involved.

Wisconsin is very conservative, while Missouri is conservative and ELCA tends to vary from church to church (Scandanavia ELCA tend to be more liberal than German ELCA).

Outside of the the upper Midwest in some ELCA churches, Lutherans are pretty generally conservative.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2004, 09:15:41 PM »

Baptists are Strong Republicans
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2004, 09:55:52 PM »

Mexico, Brazile and South Africa were sending missionaries into England.  Quite an ironic twist.

Turnabout is fair play.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2004, 10:02:05 PM »

No.  

I live in "rural" Minnesota (it's actually a small but definately urban city who's Chamber of Commerce's motto is "A little Twin Cities. A lot Minnesota.", but it's 80 miles southwest of Minneapolis and definately not a metro area) and the ELCA churches here sure as hell aren't conservative.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2004, 10:22:05 PM »

As I previously noted, Missouri and Wisconsin synods are conservative, while ELCA varies, largely based on ethnicity of the congregation (irrespective of urbanity).
English

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2004, 05:33:43 AM »

Turnabout is fair play.

I had some moron thrusting Jesus in my face in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. He was most perturbed when I told him I was Buddhist. Hate people like that, if they want to believe in Jesus, good for them, however they have no right to go around imposing their views on others or worst of all, pouring scorn on other people's beliefs.
I'll tell them to f*** off next time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2004, 10:15:07 AM »

Not always... IIRC Southern WV has a large Baptist population...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2004, 10:26:58 AM »

Turnabout is fair play.

I had some moron thrusting Jesus in my face in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. He was most perturbed when I told him I was Buddhist. Hate people like that, if they want to believe in Jesus, good for them, however they have no right to go around imposing their views on others or worst of all, pouring scorn on other people's beliefs.
I'll tell them to f*** off next time.

What really pisses me off about them is their arrogant and hypocritical attitude (hey: a higher % of the U.K is Christian than most of their own countries. If they feel the need to convert others let them pleeeeease do it in their own back yard)...
Most of them seem only to be familer with Leviticus... none of the ones I've met/been verbally assualted by, seem to have *ever* read the Sermon on the Mount...
English

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2004, 10:34:07 AM »

Afro-American Baptists are staunch Democrats.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »

it's better to say SOUTHERN Baptists are staunch Republicans, other Baptist denominations are more liberal and not quite as much, like the American Baptists which Jimmy Carter belongs to.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2004, 12:16:52 PM »

Send any screaming evangelists to the UK and they will be run out of town! Some English evangelistss hijacked a church in Glasgow and have sandwich-board wearing loons on the street who get less attention from the public than a singing drunkard! 'Missionaries can come all they want, but one thing the British HATE more than anything else is religion being shoved down their throats. That doesn't mean we are unreligious, just that we are very private about it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2004, 12:57:29 AM »

Afro-American Baptists are staunch Democrats.

And that makes no sense at all when you compare it with the Democrat Platform.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies