Does the forum have a right-wing bias?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:55:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does the forum have a right-wing bias?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does the forum have a right-wing or conservative bias?
Yes

No - it has a liberal one

No - it has a libertarian one

No - it has a communitarian one

No - it has no bias

Who cares

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Does the forum have a right-wing bias?  (Read 3765 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »

vote
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:12:56 AM »

I'd say there's a liberal-libertarian bias.  Certainly, there's a much higher percentage of libertarians here than in the general population.

It certainly doesn't have a conservative bias.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 12:25:07 AM »

I'd say there's a liberal-libertarian bias.  Certainly, there's a much higher percentage of libertarians here than in the general population

I agree.  Although among the upper-middle class 14-23 year olds we tend to be thats not unexpecgted. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 12:47:38 AM »

It has a very strong libertarian bias.  That implies both an economically conservative bias and a socially liberal bias.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 12:49:51 AM »

I think I compiled PC scores and got something like 0.8, -1.3.

So, I'd say it has a libertarian bias.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 12:59:48 AM »

Yes, for anyone paying attention it clearly has a right-wing bias.

A Republican can say the craziest, hateful things and no one says a word. Any slightly controversial thing a Democrat says and people go nuts, including people in their own party like Frodo.

If you don't recognize the right wing bias you're not paying attention.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 01:08:04 AM »

Yes, for anyone paying attention it clearly has a right-wing bias.

Forgive the ten of us who disagree with only you for not paying attention.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 01:48:30 AM »

It has a very strong libertarian bias.  That implies both an economically conservative bias and a socially liberal bias.

My thoughts exactly. Better a libertarian bias than a social conservative or Republican one.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 01:52:17 AM »

No, it has a liberal bias.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 02:46:54 AM »

No, and not a libertarian one either.

If you say a department should be abolished, or something should be privatised, a good potion of the forum cries about it being "economic injustice" or something crazy like that. lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 02:51:56 AM »

If you say a department should be abolished, or something should be privatised, a good potion of the forum cries about it being "economic injustice" or something crazy like that. lol

What's useful is to compare to the country as a whole. When only around 50% of the forum supports raising the federal minimum wage a dollar an hour so, that means that the forum is far to the right of general public on that issue, since 86% of them support that. Otherwise this is useless.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 02:56:52 AM »

There are a lot more people here who would likely agree than there are in the American public.  The simple fact that this forum is not as libertarian as the Libertarian Party's forum does not mean it does not have a libertarian tilt to it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 06:34:57 AM »

I think the bias ebbs and flows, but in general it has a right wing bias in some ways, times, and on some issues, coupled with at times and on some issues a libertarian bias.  But after all, libertarianism is a very right-wing ideology, and in practice acts as a support for the Religious Party, so yes, I would say the board has a clearly right-wing bias overall.

Btw, the most telling 'bias' of the forum is not about specific views, but about class - the great majority of people on here are from the upper-middle cass.  Not surprising when you think about it - the rich are a tiny class, and have better things to do, and the lower working classes probably don't have computers, or are busy toiling at the convenience store without internet access.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 06:45:02 AM »

I would say it has a libertarian bias; though there are significantly more small 'l' libertarians than big 'L' ones

Democratic libertarians, however, seem more moderate than Republican ones; while liberals are overwelmingly Democrat and conservatives Republican. Populists are mixed, but with a Democratic advantage

Dave
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 07:11:46 AM »

I would also agree- we have a libertarian bias, but libertarians of both left and right. As a forum we tend to be socially liberal (except perhaps on abortion) and tend to shout down those who make racist, homophobic or just plain dishonest comments, while still engaging with the argument. We also have an age bias, we have a very high number (myself included) of under 30's including many teenagers- perhaps the perceived mild libertarianism of the forum is an expression of the political attitudes of the youth of today.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 07:43:07 AM »

It doesn't really have much of a notable bias actually; in overall terms a slight tilt towards social permissiveness and an even slighter tilt to the right economically (which is more due to a larger tilt towards fiscal conservatism rather than towards right wing economic views in general). The impression of a genuine libertarian bias seems to come from the fact that the libertarians here (and there are actually less than you usually find in online political discussion things; well certainly a lot less than was common a few years ago) are just very, very vocal and like to be heard.
Bearing in mind the demographics of this forum in particular and the internet in general, there's nothing very significant to note IMO.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 07:54:11 AM »

It doesn't really have much of a notable bias actually; in overall terms a slight tilt towards social permissiveness and an even slighter tilt to the right economically (which is more due to a larger tilt towards fiscal conservatism rather than towards right wing economic views in general). The impression of a genuine libertarian bias seems to come from the fact that the libertarians here (and there are actually less than you usually find in online political discussion things; well certainly a lot less than was common a few years ago) are just very, very vocal and like to be heard.
Bearing in mind the demographics of this forum in particular and the internet in general, there's nothing very significant to note IMO.

Very true Al.  And in fact the 'bias' of the forum depends heavily on which sections you visit most, due to the composition of the posters who most frequent each of the sections.  Someone might say "Constitution and Law" has a libertarian bias, while "Individual Politics" is fairly even if not liberally slanted.  Some of the more election-oriented boards have a conservative lean to them.  "The Atlas" has a whining bias, etc.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »

It has a libertarian one, which is bad. Sad
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 09:18:57 AM »

Very true Al.  And in fact the 'bias' of the forum depends heavily on which sections you visit most, due to the composition of the posters who most frequent each of the sections.  Someone might say "Constitution and Law" has a libertarian bias, while "Individual Politics" is fairly even if not liberally slanted.  Some of the more election-oriented boards have a conservative lean to them.  "The Atlas" has a whining bias, etc.

That's a more nuanced analysis Ebowed, and I agree with your breakdown. Of course, things are not the same now as they were a year ago, and they'll continue to evolve as the forum dynamics do.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »

There is no significant overall bias on this forum. The libertarians or classical liberals are merely more vocal.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant, just look at the poll results for Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy that are in the FF/HP series. Also, there is definitly a very strong anti-PC bias, though that may be a good thing. On both issues, the forum is vastly different from the American public, which probably has at least 25% more support of Roe v. Wade than the forum, and is a lot more politically correct than anyone posting here.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 09:26:43 AM »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant, just look at the poll results for Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy that are in the FF/HP series. Also, there is definitly a very strong anti-PC bias, though that may be a good thing. On both issues, the forum is vastly different from the American public, which probably has at least 25% more support of Roe v. Wade than the forum, and is a lot more politically correct than anyone posting here.

I agree on judicial issues, but I don't agree on PC. The influence of the so-called PC is greatly exaggerated, not to mention the concept itself is grossly distorted. It's a terrible misnomer.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 09:30:40 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2006, 09:47:06 AM by Emsworth »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant...
I would disagree with that assessment. There are only three or four originalists on this board as far as I am aware.

Most forumites do not even have judicial philosophies. In fact, I would go so far as to say that most of the forum is very unconcerned about constitutional issues (except maybe those relating to the Bill of Rights). For many people, policy considerations appear to be much more important than constitutional law.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 09:35:17 AM »

I would disagree with that assessment. There are only three originalists on this board as far as I am aware: A18, Ebowed, and me.

But from what I've read of the constitutional threads, the only person able to put up a real argument against you guys is Peter Bell. Of the few people who actually understand judicial issues, it seems that select group is mainly originalist.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 09:36:20 AM »

I would disagree with that assessment. There are only three originalists on this board as far as I am aware: A18, Ebowed, and me.

But from what I've read of the constitutional threads, the only person able to put up a real argument against you guys is Peter Bell. Of the few people who actually understand judicial issues, it seems that select group is mainly originalist.

Wasn't migrendel pretty interested in legal issues? If he'd been around in the past year we might have had some interesting debates. Not that I'd understand much of them...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies