Does the forum have a right-wing bias? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does the forum have a right-wing bias? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the forum have a right-wing or conservative bias?
Yes

No - it has a liberal one

No - it has a libertarian one

No - it has a communitarian one

No - it has no bias

Who cares

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Does the forum have a right-wing bias?  (Read 3782 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant, just look at the poll results for Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy that are in the FF/HP series. Also, there is definitly a very strong anti-PC bias, though that may be a good thing. On both issues, the forum is vastly different from the American public, which probably has at least 25% more support of Roe v. Wade than the forum, and is a lot more politically correct than anyone posting here.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:35:17 AM »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant...
I would disagree with that assessment. There are only three originalists on this board as far as I am aware: A18, Ebowed, and me.

But from what I've read of the constitutional threads, the only person able to put up a real argument against you guys is Peter Bell. Of the few people who actually understand judicial issues, it seems that select group is mainly originalist.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »

On constitutional issues, there's definitly an originalist slant...
I would disagree with that assessment. There are only three originalists on this board as far as I am aware: A18, Ebowed, and me.

But from what I've read of the constitutional threads, the only person able to put up a real argument against you guys is Peter Bell. Of the few people who actually understand judicial issues, it seems that select group is mainly originalist.

Wasn't migrendel pretty interested in legal issues? If he'd been around in the past year we might have had some interesting debates. Not that I'd understand much of them...

I'm not counting him since hasn't been continously active in ages. However, would he return, my assessment would change, as he has the ability to tilt the scales. 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

But from what I've read of the constitutional threads, the only person able to put up a real argument against you guys is Peter Bell.
Well, jimrtex and muon2 are also very good debaters, but they post infrequently. The funny thing is that Peter actually agrees with us (the originalist posters) on a number of issues (for example, that the federal minimum wage is unconstitutional); almost all of our disagreements are over the Ninth Amendment.

That may have been the debate I saw, I don't read everything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree, but as someone who, for example, supports the minimum wage, but isn't constitutionally educated enough yet to have an in depth debate on the issue, it would be nice to be able to read educated (i.e. not Jfern, Scoonie) posts supporting my general view. Being one of the younger posters here, I have general views on a lot of issues, but not neccessarily in-depth ones, so I learn a lot from just reading the posts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies