Legality of Whaling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:47:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Legality of Whaling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should whaling be legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Legality of Whaling  (Read 2465 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

AFAIK, it's only legal in Japan and Norway (?) these days.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:23:09 PM »

No
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »

Definitely not!

It's also legal in Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Some of the Indian Tribes (or maybe just one) in the Northwest can hunt whales, although the environmentalists and hippies usually come out on boats and jet skis and try to stop them.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 06:34:12 PM »

Sure why not?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 07:13:55 PM »

Hell no!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:25:20 PM »

Japan and Norway are the only two countries that haven't agreed to the international ban on whaling.

It should be noted that, perhaps coincidentally, Japan and Norway have the highest life expectancy rates in the world.  The average Japanese and Norwegian lives 82 and 81 years, respectively.  Compare to mean longevities of 78 in the UK and Germany, 77 in the US and Ireland, 75 in Italy, 71 in Mexico, 66 in China, and 52 in Nigeria, all of whom are signatories of the international whaling moratorium. 

However, Japan does have the third highest female suicide rate in the world after China and Sri Lanka.  Norway has the second highest female suicide rate among OECD countries after Japan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »

Japan and Norway are the only two countries that haven't agreed to the international ban on whaling.

It should be noted that, perhaps coincidentally, Japan and Norway have the highest life expectancy rates in the world.  The average Japanese and Norwegian lives 82 and 81 years, respectively.  Compare to mean longevities of 78 in the UK and Germany, 77 in the US and Ireland, 75 in Italy, 71 in Mexico, 66 in China, and 52 in Nigeria, all of whom are signatories of the international whaling moratorium. 

However, Japan does have the third highest female suicide rate in the world after China and Sri Lanka.  Norway has the second highest female suicide rate among OECD countries after Japan.

Only a small minority in those countries eat whale meat, angus, and an even tinier number engage in the sport.  So I doubt that has caused their longevity. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:30 PM »

Yes, subject to a moratorium on taking those species that are threatened or endangered.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 11:01:14 PM »

I straddle the fence on this one. I think whaling should be illegal for people of "civilized" cultures Reason: the term "civilized" simply refers to a culture which is bent on maximizing the amount of harm it does to the planet. Reducing the level of harm by not systematically eliminating a species is an excellent policy.

However, Native American tribes are not bent on destroying the planet. Their way of life worked for them and worked very well for hundreds of thousands of years. Their way of life included whaling, and therefore they should be allowed to continue doing what has worked for them for such a long time.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 02:39:46 AM »

I agree with Yaks. It should be illegal for countries to hunt on a mass scale. But if a native tribe wants to hunt 1 or 2 whales a year, in accordance with their traditions, then that should be allowed. The problem is that whales are so endangered, even at that rate, it could be dangerous. Just look what happened to that poor baby whale in London yesterday.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »

I agree with Yaks. It should be illegal for countries to hunt on a mass scale. But if a native tribe wants to hunt 1 or 2 whales a year, in accordance with their traditions, then that should be allowed. The problem is that whales are so endangered, even at that rate, it could be dangerous. Just look what happened to that poor baby whale in London yesterday.

That "poor" baby whale probably died because it was sick. Not because it was hunted.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 05:34:39 AM »

I straddle the fence on this one. I think whaling should be illegal for people of "civilized" cultures Reason: the term "civilized" simply refers to a culture which is bent on maximizing the amount of harm it does to the planet. Reducing the level of harm by not systematically eliminating a species is an excellent policy.

However, Native American tribes are not bent on destroying the planet. Their way of life worked for them and worked very well for hundreds of thousands of years. Their way of life included whaling, and therefore they should be allowed to continue doing what has worked for them for such a long time.

I disagree, Yaks.  I think the answer is to ban whaling for everyone, but in order to recognize that it was the destructive cultures that caused the problem, they should be taxed to pay a large compensation to the more traditional ones that have been robbed of their sustainable whaling. 

Monetary compensation isn't always precisely to the point, but it at least admits responsibility and recognizes a loss.  I think given the severe danger of extinction this is preferable to allowing the natives to kill even a few whales.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 11:57:59 AM »

I vote legalize it. I'm usually in favor of saving endangered species but since the public is a bunch of idiots who focus on trying to save ones that I don't think should be saveD(the "cute" and 'cuddly" ones like pandas) instead of ones like various kinds of venomous snakes I say to hell with the public.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »

I vote legalize it. I'm usually in favor of saving endangered species but since the public is a bunch of idiots who focus on trying to save ones that I don't think should be saveD(the "cute" and 'cuddly" ones like pandas) instead of ones like various kinds of venomous snakes I say to hell with the public.

Why would you be in favour of saving endangered species, public-hater?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »

Whaling is extremely stupid and inefficient, plus the whale is an endangered species, so no.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »

That "poor" baby whale probably died because it was sick. Not because it was hunted.
The poor whale (not a baby) died because it was in a river. Not because it was sick. Not because it was hunted.

Anyways. As long as you keep figures tiny. The Makah are allowed to take, like, 8 whales a year, and not to sell the meat. If you allow the same quota to the Anglos or the Japanese, I don't think anyone would complain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »

Whales don't reproduce fast enough for that to be good Lewis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

Whales don't reproduce fast enough for that to be good Lewis.
No, I meant that the whole population of Japan be allowed to kill only 8 whales a year. I didn't mean proportional to population - Whales don't reproduce fast enough for that to be good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »

The poor whale (not a baby) died because it was in a river. Not because it was sick. Not because it was hunted.

True; they think it got disorientated by someones sonar or something like that. I got the feeling it was too late when the news said it was as far upstream as Battersea...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually that wouldn't be so bad I guess...
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 10:42:42 PM »

You're right. I wasn't saying it was hunted, I just meant that whales face a lot of threats today.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies