Independent far right candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Independent far right candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Independent far right candidate?  (Read 6610 times)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2004, 02:30:27 PM »

I don't know is this already discussed in the forum.

Is there any far right candidate in the horizon in this time with immigrants and Nafta issues?

I think it's only fair that Bush would be hurt by right wing candidate, because Nader took presidency from the Gore in 2000.
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 02:45:46 PM »

nope.  Bush has approval rating of 93 of those identified as conservatives and 65% approval ratings generally.

Is there any far right candidate in the horizon in this time with immigrants and Nafta issues?

I think it's only fair that Bush would be hurt by right wing candidate, because Nader took presidency from the Gore in 2000.

English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 03:11:34 PM »

Interesting question. Does the US have a far right party? Most countries do.
Paul
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

There's definitely room for an ultra-conservative candidate to Bush's right.  But who would it be?  The poster boy for the far right - Pat Buchanan - didn't do well at all in 2000; If the Democrat's alternative to Bush is a liberal, and it appears to be a close race, conservatives won't be running to a conservative third party candidate.  It may appear that an independent conservative could run, but who would it be, and what impact could they actually have in reality?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 03:23:09 PM »

Well, we have the Constitution Party (whose platform is down right scary), but they have virtually no power.

I don't see a far-rightist Independent running, but maybe Roy Moore (R-AL) would give it a shot.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 03:28:10 PM »

Roy Moore has his eyes set on Governor of Alabama I think.

Well, we have the Constitution Party (whose platform is down right scary), but they have virtually no power.

I don't see a far-rightist Independent running, but maybe Roy Moore (R-AL) would give it a shot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »

He couldn't win.  Even in far-right Deep south Religious right Alabama.

That is, I hope he couldn't win.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:33:50 PM »

So far there aren't any far right candidates who could make a dent in the election.

I've heard talk about John McCain (even though he's not far right at all) making an independent run, but as of now, he's not in it.

If McCain *did* run and cost Bush the election, he'd be shunned for the rest of his political life by the Republican Party - they'd get him big time if he hurt Bush's chances at all.

As far as far left candidates go...there aren't any at the moment either.  Nader says that IF he runs, it won't be with the Green Party, which would kind of split his vote - the hardcore Greens wouldn't vote for him in favor of whoever the Green candidate is.  So (right now) I don't see Nader making much of a dent, or at least not as much as last time.

And of course, there are those statements made by Howard Dean that hint at an independent run should he lose the nomination.  That, I believe, would hurt the Democrats, even worse than in 2000.  It wouldn't matter who the Democrats nominated (if not Dean), Dean as an independent would split their vote badly and cost them the election.  THAT would give Bush a landslide victory.  He might even win liberal states like California and (maybe) New York if the Democrats had their own Ross Perot in Howard Dean.
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 03:34:12 PM »

never know int he bible belt, he won statewide for Chief Justice and the Gov isn't as popular with tax increase proposal, which was soundly defeated.

He couldn't win.  Even in far-right Deep south Religious right Alabama.

That is, I hope he couldn't win.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 03:35:08 PM »

I can't get myself to believe Moore could win.  Please, don't let him win.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 03:37:39 PM »

I don't know that a third party will ever have the same influence of one of the two main political parties in the country.  Every once in a while a third party comes along and steals fifteen to twenty percent of the vote (Ross Perot's Reform Party, TR's Bull Moose Party).

The only way a viable third party could rise to a position of power is one of the two main parties (most likely the democratic party) completely collapsed.  But in that case it wouldn't be a third party, it would just be the new second party.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 03:37:49 PM »

I can't get myself to believe Moore could win.  Please, don't let him win.

Yea, I think Moore could win in Alabama.  They're all pretty ticked off at their current governor right now, and Moore has made a BIG name for himself and is seen almost as a victim in the state.  He could win.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 03:39:59 PM »

note: governor is not up till 2006 though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 03:39:59 PM »

Well, if the Democrats nominated a communist and the Republicans nominated another disaster (like Roy Moore), a centrist independent (McCain, Breaux) could win.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 07:24:15 AM »

I've heard that Don Sigelman(who was only beaten by a razor thin margin) might run again.
He passed up on a run for Senate this year...

Sigelman v Riley v Moore would be fun to watch... I've never seen an incumbent governer come 3rd before...
jravnsbo

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 10:54:06 AM »

Moore would not be running as an independant but a Republican int he primary.

I've heard that Don Sigelman(who was only beaten by a razor thin margin) might run again.
He passed up on a run for Senate this year...

Sigelman v Riley v Moore would be fun to watch... I've never seen an incumbent governer come 3rd before...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 12:18:01 PM »

Yes... but does Moore strike you as the sort of person that would respect the rules and not run if he was beaten in the primary?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 12:36:37 PM »

Yes, he strikes me that way.

To Miami -- YOU (not you personally, but liberals in general) created this monster.  He'd still be an unknown dinky little small town judge if you would have just let him keep his little wooden plaque on his wall.  But no, you had to challenge his plaque and make him a household name and now he's a big time policitican and the rest of us have to deal with the moron.  Thanks liberals, thanks a friggin lot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2004, 12:41:58 PM »

Dammit!
I hope that Riley wins the primary for two obvious reasons...
jravnsbo

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »

your right on both points!

To Miami -- YOU (not you personally, but liberals in general) created this monster.  He'd still be an unknown dinky little small town judge if you would have just let him keep his little wooden plaque on his wall.  But no, you had to challenge his plaque and make him a household name and now he's a big time policitican and the rest of us have to deal with the moron.  Thanks liberals, thanks a friggin lot.
jravnsbo

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2004, 02:14:03 PM »

Heard a MIssissippi Legislator on the radio the other night talking about a great idea!

He said the Legislature passed a bill to put the natoional Motto in every school ( maybe every classroom) in the state.  Then they had the funds raised privately so it didn't cost tax payers anything.  The ACLU was fuming but what could they say.

Outstanding Idea, and we should encourage other states to take similiar action!

your right on both points!

NHPolitico

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2004, 03:47:35 PM »

It's only fair? That's funny.

Bush sucked up all the money when the race was open in 2000. He's sucking up even more this cycle. You can't have a campaign without cash.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2004, 04:12:31 PM »

That's quite immoral behevior isn't it? Wink
jravnsbo

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2004, 04:13:01 PM »

How so?

That's quite immoral behevior isn't it? Wink