Florida GOP Rally 'Round the Sinking Ship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida GOP Rally 'Round the Sinking Ship
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida GOP Rally 'Round the Sinking Ship  (Read 1304 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »

Fla. GOP Rallies Around Harris for Senate

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated Press Writer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- If there was any remaining doubt that Florida's top Republican leaders weren't behind Katherine Harris's run for U.S. Senate, those leaders did their best Saturday to cast it aside.

At the state GOP's quarterly meeting, Gov. Jeb Bush said he would campaign for Harris and encouraged a crowded room of Republican activists to do the same. At a separate rally following his speech, Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings gave strong praise to Harris and told her "Go, run and win."

The campaign hasn't been easy for Harris since August when she announced her bid to challenge incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson. GOP leaders in Washington searched for another candidate, convinced that voters were polarized by her role as Florida's secretary of state in the 2000 presidential election recount and that she could not win.

Fundraising has also gone slower than she expected and she acknowledged Saturday that she gave her campaign $250,000 during the final quarter of last year. She said, however, that she raised more than $1 million in other cash contributions -- double the amount she raised in her first quarter of fundraising.

That compares to more than $6 million Nelson had in the bank by the end of September.

Harris shrugged off the numbers.

"We know that when we turn out the Republicans, we'll be victorious," she said.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:58:22 PM »

Go Harris!

Although I can't understand why Jeb doesn't run.  He can't run for president in 2016 on a record of 10 years unemployment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:12:58 AM »

Go Harris!

Although I can't understand why Jeb doesn't run.  He can't run for president in 2016 on a record of 10 years unemployment.

If the GOP retains the White House in 2008, I suspect Jeb will have his choice of cabinet positions if he wants one and if they lose, he'll be nicely positioned for 2012.  Also, if Florida merely has a limit on consecuctive rather than total terms, he can run for Governor in 2010.

Then there's also the possibility that he doesn't want to be president.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:12:55 AM »

If the GOP retains the White House in 2008, I suspect Jeb will have his choice of cabinet positions if he wants one and if they lose, he'll be nicely positioned for 2012.  Also, if Florida merely has a limit on consecuctive rather than total terms, he can run for Governor in 2010.

No, I believe all state government officers in Florida have 8 year term limits and they're done after that.

Then there's also the possibility that he doesn't want to be president.

No, it's a birthright!  None of the Kennedy brothers didn't try, Jeb eventually will too.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »

Isn't it kind of stupid to say "we only have to turn-out Republicans"? Isn't that sort of ignorant vis-a-vis independents?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:36:53 PM »

The GOP had a great shot at this seat and they blew it big time. Oh well, I'm not complaining.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »

No, I believe all state government officers in Florida have 8 year term limits and they're done after that.

Did some checking.  Florida has a 8 consecutive, not total, year ban so Jeb could run for the governor's mansion in 2010.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 08:11:29 PM »

Isn't it kind of stupid to say "we only have to turn-out Republicans"? Isn't that sort of ignorant vis-a-vis independents?

Such a thing would work in, say, Alabama, where the voting population is 48% Republican.  Unfortunately, I think she forgets that Florida is not like other states in the Deep South, given that its voting population is only 41% Republican, with 37% being Democrats (and 23% independents).  Perhaps Harris thinks she can win with 41% of the vote?  I don't know.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 08:52:54 PM »

Well, some of those Democrats are in name only, mostly in the panhandle and in the northern part of the state, so the party gap may in fact be much closer.  But some have said that Harris is in trouble exactly because she is not getting all of the Republican vote.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 08:55:28 PM »

Did some checking.  Florida has a 8 consecutive, not total, year ban so Jeb could run for the governor's mansion in 2010.

Well, I was mistaken.  That's a definite possibility should a Republican win in 2008.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »

Well, some of those Democrats are in name only, mostly in the panhandle and in the northern part of the state, so the party gap may in fact be much closer.  But some have said that Harris is in trouble exactly because she is not getting all of the Republican vote.

There are still only 41% of the voting public registered as Republicans, regardless of how conservative the Democrats are.  I won't argue with the notion that if she can get all of the Republicans, plus all of the conservative Democrats, she might win, but she declared that all she needs are the Republicans, which is simply demonstratably false.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »

Nelson: 55%
Harris: 44%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length