Judiciary Commitee Recommends Alito (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:28:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Judiciary Commitee Recommends Alito (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judiciary Commitee Recommends Alito  (Read 6896 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: January 24, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »

Roe is not in any potential danger unless Stevens, Ginsburg or Kennedy leaves before 2008.

Besides, the relevant precedent in most abortion cases is now Casey, not Roe, for the most part.

I think Stenberg is probably going to bite the dust, however.  This is something I have little problem with.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »

I certainly hope the federal partial-birth abortion ban is not upheld, but after that constitutional atrocity known as Raich, who knows?
As matters currently stand, only one conservative--Justice Thomas--will likely vote against the federal partial-birth abortion ban on commerce clause grounds. The two other principled defenders of federalism, Rehnquist and O'Connor, will have already left. Scalia is only a fair-weather federalist, and I suspect that Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy would all vote to uphold the ban.

Well it doesn't matter. Even if Roberts, Alito, Kennedy, and Scalia all vote to uphold it they'll be outweighed by the loons plus Thomas

Uh, Stenberg v. Carhart struck down the Nebraska law which banned partial-birth abortion because it presented an undue burden on the right to have an abortion.

I don't see what this has to do with federalism.

Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer, Stevens and O'Connor formed the majority.

Kennedy, Rehnquist, Scalia and Thomas formed the dissent (each writing his own separate dissent).

Even though Kennedy has had a tendency to move left, this lengthy dissent is fairly forthright from him and leads me to believe he probably hasn't changed his mind here.

Quoting from the dissent:

Ignoring substantial medical and ethical opinion, the Court substitutes its own judgment for the judgment of Nebraska and some 30 other States and sweeps the law away. The Court's holding stems from misunderstanding the record, misinterpretation of Casey, outright refusal to respect the law of a State, and statutory construction in conflict with settled rules. The decision nullifies a law expressing the will of the people of Nebraska that medical procedures must be governed by moral principles having their foundation in the intrinsic value of human life, including life of the unborn. Through their law the people of Nebraska were forthright in confronting an issue of immense moral consequence. The State chose to forbid a procedure many decent and civilized people find so abhorrent as to be among the most serious of crimes against human life, while the State still protected the woman's autonomous right of choice as reaffirmed in Casey.

The Court closes its eyes to these profound concerns.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

Uh, Stenberg v. Carhart struck down the Nebraska law which banned partial-birth abortion because it presented an undue burden on the right to have an abortion.

I don't see what this has to do with federalism.

Uh, did you read the quotes before posting that? We were talking about the federal partial-birth abortion ban.

Nah, I'm still stuck on Stenberg.  As for partial-birth abortion bans, I basically think state laws are ok, federal laws aren't.  Which means I probably agree with you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies