Secretary of Forum Affairs Seperation of Duties Bill (WITHDRAWN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:43:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Secretary of Forum Affairs Seperation of Duties Bill (WITHDRAWN)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Secretary of Forum Affairs Seperation of Duties Bill (WITHDRAWN)  (Read 1438 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:10 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2006, 07:12:05 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

As per 5th slot for Forum Affairs I'll throw this on the floor.

Secretary of Forum Affairs Separation of Duties Bill

1. Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 2 shall be amended to read:

"The Secretary of the Department of Forum Affairs shall be responsible for administering all elections to the Presidency and the Senate, and the Deputy Secretary shall be responsible for maintaining the voter rolls."

2. Section 1 will take effect next Presidential term.

Sponsor: Sen. CheeseWhiz
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

I strongly support this, it doesn't make another Cabinet position and it seperates the powers. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:23:16 PM »

It's an improvement but as I said with the last bill of this nature I would like to wait and see what Q has to say before passing judgement.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »

Forgive me for interfering, but why does this need legislation? Surely, the SoFA and DSoFA can split up these duties themselves. Or, the President could simply issue an executive order.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 06:25:36 PM »

Colin: Q said it isn't too much work for him but he's very active, no offense to him but remember ilikeverin?

Emsworth: Unless I'm mistaken the Senate gets to decide what the positions are and do. As I said I could be mistaken.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2006, 06:31:23 PM by SoS True Democrat »

When I tried to reform the Froum Affairs department, I failed miserably.  As Senator, I tried to make the Forum affairs department be responsible for trying to increase new members in Atlasia, but nobody wanted it done.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 06:30:40 PM »

Colin: Q said it isn't too much work for him but he's very active, no offense to him but remember ilikeverin?

I do remember Verin and do you remember that I actually voted against, or abstained, on Verin's confirmation? Don't you remember that I was one of the two or three people that thought Verin, no offence, was unfit for the job when he in the confirmation hearing?

Again I would still like to know what Q has to say. Can'y he just issue an internal Department of Forum Affairs rule? Can't the President just issue an executive order on this matter and be done with it, as Emsworth so judiciously pointed out?

Oh and the President, since he is the head of the cabinet, is probably more powerful when it comes to deciding the inner workings of the cabinet since they are responsible to the President and are selected by the President.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »

It isn't too much work.  Maintainance of voter roles and census taking doesn't really interfere with tabulation of votes... I mean, no one really cares about whether the voter rolls are updated if there's an election, do they? Tongue
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »

Emsworth: Unless I'm mistaken the Senate gets to decide what the positions are and do. As I said I could be mistaken.
In my opinion, since the President is the head of the executive branch, he has the power to divide up responsibilities within any particular department however he chooses.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:52 PM »

When I tried to reform the Froum Affairs department, I failed miserably.

That wasn't Forum Affairs reform, it was Nasolation.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »

Forgive me for interfering, but why does this need legislation? Surely, the SoFA and DSoFA can split up these duties themselves. Or, the President could simply issue an executive order.

I have to agree with Justice Emsworth.

If the Department is to remain united under the title Forum Affairs, then it should be for each Secretary, in consultation with each President, to decide how the duties of the department are divided up. This body need not legislate it, especially when the absence of our present DSoFA shows a probable outcome of the legislation: One half gets neglected.

Also the benefits of continuing to have two men on the job on election days cannot be understated, this legislation would seem to undermine that possibility.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 07:10:14 PM »

No need, all citizens should be active in the affairs of their Government Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If the President can do that, then I definitely agree, but I don't know if he can.  Could Peter or someone tell us if he can please?  Thanks Smiley

EDIT:  Okay, he already did, so I withdraw this legislation (I can do that, right?)

Colin: It might not be too much for some people, but I do believe that it is a lot of work, and I definitely think it needs to be separated, so that things don't become "unfun" for the SoFA.

It isn't too much work.  Maintainance of voter roles and census taking doesn't really interfere with tabulation of votes... I mean, no one really cares about whether the voter rolls are updated if there's an election, do they? Tongue

Actually, it's important for the candidates and those reporting the results, so yeah, they do kinda care.  Anyway, it's not like the Census is really important, that's why I gave it to the DSoFA, but it still needs to be done, and it would be good for the SoFA to get a break from all that work inbetween elections.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 07:23:38 PM »

The legislation is withdrawn.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »

Whose idea was this originally?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »

Whose idea was this originally?

Joe Republic, I'm pretty sure.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 12:17:01 AM »

Now for question #2: What do we do about Yates?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 12:25:26 AM »

Now for question #2: What do we do about Yates?

Well, I suppose the reality is that he isn't going to be returning to us.  I've been debating as to when it would be appropriate to ask for someone to replace him.  That will take place before the upcoming federal elections, unless I can get in touch with Yates in the mean time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies