The Nym90 Campaign Express....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:42:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Nym90 Campaign Express....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Nym90 Campaign Express....  (Read 2876 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 09:43:13 PM »

If you hate him so much, why don't you run yourself, or form your own party or something Tongue

There loks to be no stopping (for the time being) the United Atlas Confused, but they will rip each other to pieces eventually

And that has anything to do with you... why?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 09:56:40 PM »

The Lakers and T'Wolves are playing 2 nights in a row?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 10:28:22 AM »

The Lakers and T'Wolves are playing 2 nights in a row?

Whoops... got the Indiana/Detroit & Minnesota/Los Angeles games mixed up Tongue

They're doing something important in the Target Center, that's for sure Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 02:06:33 PM »

Official Statement

Vice President Al Realpolitik will be making a tour of the South shortly.

P.Ollrigger
Al's Spindoctor
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »

ILV--

Get ready, I'll be in Minneapolis tomorrow! Smiley

I'll be sure to stop by and see you speak, if you find a place!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2004, 04:43:29 PM »

Official Statement

Vice President Al Realpolitik will be making a tour of the South shortly.

P.Ollrigger
Al's Spindoctor

DLC Invitation... how's abouts ya come  an'down ta Richmond and we have our selves a barnstorming... Smiley

But seriously Richmond ready for your tour… and I think the best place to kick it off from Wink    
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2004, 05:59:05 PM »

ILV--

Get ready, I'll be in Minneapolis tomorrow! Smiley

I'll be sure to stop by and see you speak, if you find a place!

I'll be watching it on the newly formed ILVNS... the ILV News Station (or Service) Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 08:23:27 PM »

All I tune into is ILVNS.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 08:37:16 PM »

Enjoy the slant? Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2004, 01:26:15 PM »

Today's campaign stop is in Minneapolis, MN.

Thank you Minneapolis. I'd like to thank Gov. ILikeVerin for being here today. He's been a gracious host.

*Applause*

I supported him in his campaign. I think he's doing a great job so far.

*Cheering*

Now, why have I come here today? I'd like to talk about the environment.

The environment is something that I think is important to all of us. Some say that those on the right don't care about the environment, that they want polluted water and air. Now clearly that's not true. I think everyone wants a better environment. I reject this old politics of the past. Instead of name-calling and partisan bickering, let's move forward on this debate and go towards constructive solutions.

*Cheers*

I am strongly committed to a clean environment. However, I don't want to cost us jobs in the process. Here's what I think we should do.

I feel that there should be more local considerations taken into account in environmental policy. Instead of handing down broad mandates from Washington, we should look at the overall air or water quality in a particular area before deciding what the standards are. That's not to say that the federal government should relinquish all control of standards. We still want standards, but there needs to be flexibility in looking at individual states and counties. We need to be sensitive to states where there are industries that may need slightly less restrictive standards in order to survive. A clean environment doesn't do us much good if we cost jobs in the process.

*Cheers*

However, I think there are a lot of areas in which we can improve our environmental policy without costing jobs. Take CAFE, for instance. No, that's not where you went to get coffee this morning.

*Laughter*

CAFE is the Corporate Average Fuel Economy. It's the minimum number of miles per gallon that all cars from a manufacturer must average. I think this can be raised. Currently it's only 20.7 miles per gallon. Folks, I think that the automakers can do better than that. We have the technology now, let's put it to use. I propose raising the CAFE by 1 mile per gallon each year for the next 20 years, until we get it up to 40 miles per gallon. That's not an unrealistic goal. It would give automakers plenty of time to adjust. We have hybrid cars now, that run on both gas and electricity. We need to continue to encourage their development. Already, there is a tax credit for those. We have one fine young man here today, Vern Simpson of Bloomington, who just bought a Toyota Prius the other day. He's definitely going to be enjoying that $2000 tax credit on his taxes for this year, aren't you Vern?

Vern: Yes Mr. President, I will. It's a fabulous car, too. Seats 5 people, decent cargo room, good power. I love it. And I get well over 50 miles per gallon!

Glad to hear it. Good luck with that car. I'd buy one myself, but the First Lady says we can't afford it. This job doesn't pay enough, she says.

*Laughter*

I think we need to help develop new technologies. And guess what, not only will this not hurt the economy, it will help it. That's right, America, if we can more fully develop industries such as solar energy, wind energy, geothermal energy, hydrogen power, and the like, it will open up entirely new possibillities for our economy. New industries will spring up and create jobs. I feel that the most important thing we can do is wean ourselves off of a fossil fuel based energy policy and onto a much more diversified economy in terms of energy.

*Cheers*

Not only will it be good for the economy, it will help reduce our dependency on foreign nations. The less oil we use, the less dependent we are on the Middle East, and other OPEC nations. I think we can all agree that would be a positive step.

I don't feel that we should open vast wilderness tracts to oil drilling if we don't have to. For one thing, any such oil that would come from these areas would take a long time to be of any use. And I don't feel that we should spoil vast tracts of wilderness like that. We only have so much wilderness in this country, and they aren't making anymore of it. I feel we should preserve what we have if it all reasonably possibly. We need to explore other options. I think I have a better plan. Reduce our dependence on foreign oil, then we can preserve the wilderness we have and have all the energy we need, too.

We can make for a better America. We can both create jobs and help the environment, too. It doesn't have to be either or. That's the old way of thinking. We are pursuing newer and more forward thinking policies. I have confidence in America, and I know that since we all want a cleaner environment, we can do it with these common sense solutions.

*Cheers*

Thank you, and good evening.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 01:38:20 PM »

clapclapclapclapclapclapclap!!!!!!!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »

You pandered to me Wink
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 04:03:55 PM »

After that stirring speech here in my home town, I am now ready to officially throw my support 100% behind the President's re-election campaign.

FOUR MORE MONTHS!  FOUR MORE MONTHS!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »

Harry extends an official invitation for the Nym90 Campaign Express to come and speak in Jackson and/or Madison, Mississippi, sometime on his tour.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2004, 11:47:27 PM »

Today's speech...Des Moines, IA.

Hello Iowa!

*Cheers*

It's great to be here in the Hawkeye State.

Today, I plan to talk about foreign policy and homeland security. This has been a very contentious issue of late. As you all know, China has threatened to cut off our trade if we don't support them on Taiwan. This is unacceptable. We will never bow down to a foreign power under a Nym90 Administration. We run our foreign policy, not China.

Now, what should we do about this? I've already made my recommendations, and I hope the Senate acts on them. We've negotiated with the IMF to stabilize world currency. This is absolutely criticial, and this is why the IMF exists. We need to make sure that the Chinese cannot devalue our dollar. We've taken postive steps towards this.

We've recommended that we go to the WTO and try to get China banned if they don't back down. This is very important because we cannot allow China to continue normal relations with other nations if they are going to show this kind of belligerence. They absolutely must be excluded from the world community until they back down. We support democracy in this country, always have and always will. And we don't submit to blackmail.

Sec. of State Gustaf has been doing a great job with this. This shows what can happen when we work together, folks, in a bipartisan fashion. Issues such as national security are not for one party or the other, they are for all of us. All Americans and Atlasians care about national security...to suggest otherwise is pure folly.

*Cheers*

Now, some have asked what my foreign policy principles are. I feel that the United States should not go to war except as a last resort. We should not go to war unless our vital interests are threatened...if our country is threatened, or an ally of ours. We absolutely should not get into any war without clear evidence of such a threat. Why is this so important?

War costs money and lives. War isn't pretty. We shouldn't use it unless we have to. Diplomacy is the key. I feel that we need to strengthen our ties with our allies, not weaken them. We need to reach out to other nations, and work with them directly. We need to listen to our allies. We must be strong, but also diplomatic at the same time... As Teddy Roosevelt said, speak softly but carry a big stick.

I feel that we must steadfastly support the war on terrorism. I do not, however, think that we need to abandon civil liberties in order to do so. Now, some have said we need to expand the Patriot Act. Others say we must repeal it. I support a third way, a better way that rises up above partisan pettiness. I support the formation of a commission to study the Patriot Act. We need to look at this piece of legislation, each and every word, and figure out what has worked and what hasn't. I'm sure that the defenders of it will have no problem defending it in front of a commission, and proving that it has reduced terrorism without curtailing liberties. At the same time, I challenge opponents to also come forward with their evidence, and show how or why it hasn't worked. There is no other workable solution that I can see. We need to come together on this, have a serious discussion that rises above politics, and review this Act. I myself have serious reservations about it. I'm a strong supporter of civil liberties, and I assure you that under a Nym90 Administration, civil liberties will always be highly valued. However, we also must understand that the world did change on September 11, 2001, and we must be ever vigilant in national security to defend ourselves from threats. I think that we can have both. We don't have to choose between national security and civil liberties, we can have both if we do it right. I fully support a bipartisan commission to study this issue, to look at this piece by piece, expand the good, and get rid of the bad. We can do it, America. We don't have to be mired in old tired debates, we can rise up and make America better instead.

Thank you!

*Wild Cheers*
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2004, 06:41:33 PM »

CNN News

Wolf Blitzer: The Nym90 Campaign Express rolls on today. After speaking in Des Moines, IA yesterday, the President will be in St. Louis today. The President's campaign seems to be picking up some steam as of late. Polls show the race tightening, with the President actually slightly in the lead now in some polls, and trailing only by single digits in most others. However, there's still a long way to go until Election day, but aides from both campaigns say they expect a close race. CNN's John King has been following the President's campaign. John?

John King: Thanks Wolf. The President seems to have hit his stride lately on the campaign trail. The crowds are getting larger by the day, and the enthusiasm surrounding the campaign seems to be growing. However, the President did suffer a couple of slight setbacks this week. He suffered much criticism for his economic proposals that he laid out in Chicago, and for his abortion position in Milwaukee. There was quite a bit of debate and some harsh words were exchanged between party operatives. His environmental and foreign policy and homeland security positions, however, which were laid out in the last two days, seem to have drawn praise from all parties so far. He seemed to be trying to reach out to the middle on these issues and come to common sense solutions. Aides say the President has been trying to stress his more moderate positions in the hopes that he can appeal to swing voters who are currently undecided.

Wolf: John, we've gotten word lately that the President and the Democratic Party have assembled a massive get out the vote operation. What have you heard about this?

John: Well, aides do say that this is true. The Party has put forth a strong effort to get new voters registered and to get out the vote among those who are registered, but perhaps don't fit the definition of "likely" voters. It remains to be seen how much of an effect this will have, however, the party clearly feels that thier outreach efforts have met with some success so far and that this will be a key component in the reelection campaign. With such a small percentage of undecided voters, they believe that this election could well come down to turnout.

Wolf: In the most recent WCN survey, the President actually held a 6 point lead, 42-36% over the Secretary of State. This was quite a reversal from earlier polls that showed the President trailing, sometimes by as much as double digits. Any reaction to that?

John: The President's team seems very pleased with the results, however, they are stressing that it is still very early and this result is still within the margin of error. Also, there was some doubt even within the President's campaign that the UAC vote may have been a little underrepresented in that poll. The Nym90 campaign's internal poll numbers still show him trailing, as they feel the UAC base is very excited and likely to turn out in high numbers. They feel, however, that if they can match that passion with that of their own followers, they can win this race because they feel that they have a larger potential base of voters within those who are not closely following the race at the moment.

Wolf: Thanks John.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2004, 08:29:31 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2004, 08:32:36 PM by President Nym90 »

Rolling on down to St. Louis, MO today.

Hello St. Louis.

*Cheers*

Today, I'm going to talk about crime. Crime is a problem that afflicts us all. Whether black or white, rich or poor, we all feel the effects of crime.

I believe that the most important thing to do to reduce crime is to improve education. Increased responsibility, better education, and better parenting. These are the things that we need to emphasize. I feel that this has a much greater impact than anything else we can or may do. If we can improve our public schools, bring the lower performing ones up to standard, it will greatly reduce crime. We need to encourage parents to be responsible, to take good care of their kids and educate them properly. We can do it together, America, if we take responsibility for our children, we can reduce crime.

*Cheers*

I don't believe that we should expand the death penalty. I don't feel that it acts as a deterrent to crime. Leaving aside even the humanity issues involved, which are indeed substantial, I just don't feel that it is a cost effective and useful way to deter crime. I also think it is wrong to continue the cycle of killing by having the government sanction killing. There's too much risk of someone being wrongly killed who is innocent, and that is too great of a travesty to risk.

*Cheers*

I also feel that we need to get more police on the streets. We need to hire more officers in high crime ares to reduce crime. In some areas though, this isn't enough. We need to educate our police, too, and refuse to tolerate any instances of police brutality or misconduct. In too many communities there is a disconnect, where the police don't respect the people, and in turn the people don't respect the police. This has to stop. We must make it clear that officers of the law will be held to the highest ethical standards possible.

*Applause*

Now, on gun control, I'm a strong supporter of the second Amendment. I do believe strongly in gun rights.

*Some boos heard*

However, I feel that we need to take a common-sense approach. I don't think that guns should be legal if they have no legitimate hunting or sporting purpose. I support the idea that guns should be registered. We register our cars, we register our boats, our motorcycles, in many cities even bicycles. Nobody seems to object to those too strenuously, I think that we can handle registering our guns. I think that something that has as much potential danger as a gun should be registered. That way, all gun sales can be tracked easily, and we can help to reduce gun crime and make it easier for law enforcement to solve crimes and bring criminals to justice. If you are a law-abiding citizen, you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain through gun registration. It's just common sense that when you have weapons like guns made available, that they should be registered. There are some who have some paranoia over this, but I think that the benefits to society, reducing crime and making it more likely that criminals be brought to justice, would be more than worth it.

I feel that we should start out with it on a trial basis in high crime areas first, and if it seems to work well, expand from there. I would be uneasy about implementing it on a national scale without some degree of experimentation, to be sure that the system works well and is without serious flaws or errors.

I come from a hunting area, and I'm an avid hunter myself. And I can tell you, America; under a Nym90 administration, there will always be strong rights for hunters and sportsmen. Hunting is a tradition in my family, and I strongly support hunters' rights.

*Cheers*

Thank you, and good evening.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »

Little Rock, AR

Thank you, thank you. It's a pleasure to be here in the home state of former President Bill Clinton.

*Cheers*

I'm here today to talk to you about an issue that is near and dear to my heart. Government efficiency.

The reason I mention President Clinton is because he had a brilliant idea, one that I think frankly he should have talked about a lot more. That was the idea of reinventing government. What does that mean exactly, you may ask? Reinventing government is about making government more efficient, more effective, making it work for you. You work hard to earn your tax dollars. When they go to Washington, you have the right to know that they are being spent in the most effective manner possible. That's where reinventing government comes in. We must utilize our resources in the best possible way to maximize productivity, and eliminate waste. The biggest problem that people have with government is that they think it is too big, and it spends too much. Well, they are right, government does waste money, and it does need to be cut back. But we can do this without any loss of services, if we do it the right way.

*Cheers*

Not by drastically cutting vital social programs. Rather, there are small things that government can do to reduce red tape and bureaucracy. There are 10 fundamental principles that government MUST adhere to, I feel at all times.

1) Steer the boat, but not necessarily row the boat. It is not government's obligation to provide services, but to see that they are provided. This means government must not always think of itself as the be all, end all, but rather government is merely a means to an end. If government can do something better than private business, it should. If the private sector  can do it better, then we should turn it over to the private sector. But above all, if government does turn something over to the private sector, it must make sure that it is being performed adequately.

2) Empower communities to solve their own problems rather than simply deliver services. This means that government should attempt to think of ways to give funding directly to local communities who can often do a better job of knowing and figuring out how to spend the money. One example that's been done in my home state of Michigan, that I would like to see implemented nationwide, is something known as the "Cool Cities" program. This is a program in which the state gives grant funding to communities for the explicit purpose of cereating:

Walkable communities, with more pedestrian friendly districts in cities, convenience for walkers, bikers, and skaters, and making it easy to walk rather than have to drive between residential and commercial areas.

Business development, specifically the sense of a traditional downtown, which generates a positive atmosphere and environment, and attracts businesses, customers, residents, and visitors, promotion of economic diversity (not so dependent on just one or two industires), include young people and urban pioneers as part of the economic community in recognition of their impact on many different levels, and linking of business development to arts and culture.

Increased funding for arts and culture, specifically entertainment activities available at all hours, year round festivals and concert series, nightlife, and providing a setting to encourage a vibrant, culturally connected community.

This, and many other programs like it, I think could be used more effectively on a national level, with the federal government providing funding for communities attempting to achieve these goals, but not merely commanding and controlling them.

3) Encourage competition rather than monopolies. Government must make absolutely certain that no one single entity has a monopoly on any market. This includes both business and government. Government has the right and responsibility to the people to regulate business to prevent businesses from becoming monopolies; monopolies stifle capitalism, and inhibit the free market. Government helps promote the free market by encouraging competition.

4) Be driven by missions, rather than rules. This means that government must be accountable to the people, and not lose sight of their basic goals. Rules are necessary in government to ensure that everyone is treated fairly and to prevent chaos, but rules are not the end, rather the means to the end, and each agency must not lose sight of its core fundamental mission.

5) Be results-oriented by funding outcomes rather than inputs. This means that government must analyze every program, and see not just what is going in, but what of value and worth is being produced by the program. There needs to be oversight and accountability, so that we look at how much we are truly getting for our tax dollars.

6) Meet the needs of the customer, not the bureaucracy. Again, putting people first. That's what I think government needs to do. Government exists for the purpose of helping people, and guiding and directing the nation in a better direction. But ultimately government works for the people, and the people are our boss in government. We must never lose sight of that.

7) Concentrate on earning money rather than spending it. Government should not be thinking about how it can spend more, it should put forth innovative ideas to increase economic development, to bring people a better way of life. Increased economic activity will generate more revenue, so that government can continue to provide vital services.

8 ) Invest in preventing problems rather than curing crises. This particularly is important in health care; government needs to encourage and fund increased focus on keeping and maintaining good health, so that people don't get sick in the first place. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as the old saying goes. In all other aspects, too, government must focus on heading off problems before they start.

9) Decentralize authority. Government should not command and control from the top of the chain. Let people who work closer to the community and have a better sense of understanding of the way things really work in practice have more ability to make decisions.

10) Solve problems by influencing market forces rather than creating public programs. This is absolutely critical, and one of the cornerstones of reinventing government. Government should first do all that it can to get the free market to solve a problem on its own first. If the free market can't do that (and there are plenty of areas where the free market, unfortunately, acts against the needs of consumers if left unchecked), then government steps in. But government should not do something if the free market system can do it just as well.

That's my plan, folks. I know that doesn't sound like something you'd expect from a liberal Democrat, but I have new ideas for this great nation. I worked my whole life in the Engineering profession before I came into politics. I specifically focused, in both my college degree and in my workplace, on efficiency of operations and design. I am the right man to lead the Atlas Forum in this direction. If you are willing to give me another 4 months, I can do this for you. To me, this is not merely a platform or a program; it is a passion.

*Cheers*

Thank you!

*Wild Cheers*

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »

Come to Mississippi, President Nym90!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2004, 10:00:39 AM »

I will be there...right after I make a stop in Memphis, TN next...I don't foresee anything unusual happening there...I mean, I'm sure it will be smooth sailing, with a very receptive audience in Memphis.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2004, 10:21:22 AM »

Ooops... well sheesh.. this is a terrible accident and what an inopportune time.  Five trucks carrying a load of 100,000 nails have all had accidents where they dumped their load on I-40 and all routes leading from Little Rock to Memphis.  This is a terrible accident, Mr. President, perhaps you should cancel your stopover in Memphis.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »

CNN Breaking News

President's bus has flat tire on I-40

Wolf Blitzer: This just in, we are getting word that the President's bus, en route from Little Rock, AR to Memphis, TN, for a scheduled campaign stop in Memphis tonight, has gotten a flat tire. 5 different trucks, each carrying 100,000 nails a piece, have all had accidents this afternoon, and it appears that the President's bus, in addition to thousands of other motorists, are left stranded.

The President is unharmed, however, he was shaken as the bus nearly swerved off the road and flipped over. The driver, however, was able to maintain control of the vehicle, even after a car swerved toward him. The car was driven by a man who witnesses say swerved in front of the President's bus unexpectedly. Witnesses noticed it to be a Tennessee plate, with the license number HTM LDON. It is obviously a personalized plate, but calls to the Tennesse Secretary of State's office to attempt to identify the driver were unhelpful. SOS officials denied the existence of such a plate in Tennessee.

No certain word yet on when the President will resume his trip. Police are on site and the mess should be cleaned up soon, and luckily the President has a spare tire with him on his bus. The President is expected to make a brief statement shortly about this event, but the bus is expected to still make its way to Memphis tonight if the mess can be cleaned up in time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2004, 11:38:15 PM »

Great speech on Reinventing the Government, Nym, and your other speeches as well. I wonder what the other candidates have to say in response to this.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2004, 02:03:44 PM »

Memphis, TN

Hello Memphis!

*Cheering*

Well, we are really on the home stretch of this campaign now. Only a few more days to go. First off, I'd like to say what a wonderful experience this has been. I have travelled all across this great nation, by bus. Not on Air Force One, but rather right here in this bus, the Nym90 Campaign Express. Why have I done this, you may ask? Because I wanted to connect with you, the people. I want to listen to you, to your concerns. To your issues. My opponents have levelled a lot of charges against me, but there's one thing they can't accuse me of, and that's being an elitist. I was born and raised in the heartland, the Midwest, and I'll always carry those good old-fashioned Midwestern values with me, wherever I go. I'll never forget where I came from, and how I got here. America, win or lose...

*Boo*

Now now, I think we're going to win. I feel it in my bones, we've been behind this whole campaign, but there's a tide sweeping across this great nation, and I think it's going to carry us to victory this weekend. But, no matter what happens, I will never give up the fight for you, America. I will continue to fight for my ideals, my values, my goals, and my principles, but regardless of what office I hold, I will always fight for the people.

*Cheers*

Now, I've come to you today, to talk about an issue that is a real passion of mine. It doesn't get talked about much on the federal level, as an issue for government to deal with. But I think this is an issue that affects each and every one of us every day, especially those in urban and suburban areas. I'm talking about suburban sprawl.

In every city, we see sprawl, and we see why it occurs. The big cities get too dangerous, too much crime, and the housing costs go through the roof. What happens? People flee to the suburbs in droves, leaving the city shattered, broken, and even worse off. Taxes go higher and higher to attempt to make up for the loss of tax base, but this only makes matters worse.

What can government do about this? It is absolutely crucial that we bring back our tax base, and revitalize our great cities. Suburban sprawl is not only bad for the cities, it's bad for America. What's wrong with suburban sprawl, you may say? Well, for one thing, it's not an efficient way to design and lay out a city. When people have to drive long distances to get to their jobs, that's wasteful. It costs you more money in gas. Gas prices are high enough, I know you don't want to have to pay even more than you already do.

*Applauds*

All that wasted gas is bad for the environment, too. And think of all the time that you waste...time that you could be spending at home with your family, or doing whatever else it is you enjoy. Time is money, and suburban sprawl costs us both money and time.

*Cheers*

What do I propose? I have several things that I'd like to see the Federal Government propose. Renaissance zones, for one. Yes, I know this was Jack Kemp's idea.

*Smattering of boos*

Jack Kemp was right on this one though, folks. We have to renew our urban areas. We need to give tax relief to these businesses, so that they will feel the incentive to come back. Renaissance zones are areas that would be designated as tax free for a certain number of years for any business who wants to move in there. These areas are deserted and run down and destitute anyway...it's not going to hurt them to not collect any direct tax revenue for a few years. It'll help in the long run, to get businesses in there, and bring back jobs, and most of all, a sense of hope.

*Applause*

Most of all, we need to make our communities walkable, and livable again. You know, nostalgia is big these days. Why is that, do you suppose? Why do we always get this longing for yesteryear?

Because we've lost our sense of community, and place in this nation. Suburbia is losing its character. It's all just strip malls, shopping centers, huge massive parking lots, and traffic congestion. It doesn't have to be like that, America. Our cities can be better than that.

We can go back to how cities used to be, back in the "good old days". We can bring back the walkable communities, the pristine historic downtown, with the small shops and storefronts. Make cities safe, attractive, aesthetically pleasing, and most of all, bring back a sense of place. I think that's what America would rather have. Rather than shop at huge massive stores, parking in massive parking lots, people long for the more idyllic downtowns.

Now, I'm not talking about small town America necessarily. A lot of people yearn for that too, but in large cities, we need to revive the downtown, and give it a proper sense of community again.

I strongly support increasing government grants to local communities, so that they can achieve these objectives. This isn't a federal mandate from Washington, this is Washington saying, cities, we trust you to know what's best for your people, you are there each and every day working with the people in the community, and we'll let you decide how to best allocate the resources.

Now, at the same time, there has to be accountability. We're not just going to give them the money, we are going to require that they use it in certain ways. They have to clearly explain what it's going to be used for, and how that will help renew the downtown areas.

But this will help transform America. It will bring people back downtown, where they can interact, socialize, feel like they are a part of a community, not feel like lemmings packed into shiny metal boxes. Create affordable housing near businesses districts, where people can walk to the stores, not have to drive. That saves time, saves money, and helps foster a better sense of understanding of our fellow man.

*Cheers*

We've only got a few days to go. It's been a long campaign, and we've heard a lot of negative attacks and partisan rancor. Folks, it doesn't have to be this way. I've created a bipartisan adminstration. I have 3 UAC members in my cabinet, and I'd like all of them to stay in my next term. Yes, even Gustaf. He's a fine man, and I want him to be my Secretary of State again, if he is willing.

I've appointed 2 UACers to the Supreme Court. We already have a bipartisan government. We're working together to find good, pragmatic, solutions to America's problems.

Now, we've talked about a lot of issues in this campaign. Suburban sprawl and urban renewal, reinventing government, health care, the economy, taxes, affirmative action, trade, abortion, gay marriage, terrorism, foreign policy, gun control. On each and every one of these, I've laid out detailed positions, in speeches on the Nym90 Campaign Express, or in the debate. We have by far the longest and most detailed platform of any party.

Where is the UAC? Yes, they have a platform. It's not very detailed though. Gustaf has hardly even campaigned lately. He hasn't been out there talking to you, the people, about the issues that you care about. The UAC doesn't even have a postion on some of these issues. We'd like to hear what they have to say. Come on, let's have an honest debate. America deserves that. Where is Gustaf on these issues? What is his stance on urban renewal? What is his stance on health care, on a single payer plan? What is his stance on reinventing government?

Folks, the UAC hasn't done much to explain what they would do. What's their platform? It seems all they say is "we're centrist, vote for us" and then they produce negative attacks, distorting my record. I've run a postive campaign. I've said all along Gustaf would make a good President, but I don't think he's done a good enough job explaining his positions on these issues, which are vital to this great nation. America deserves to hear Gustaf's thoughts on these things. Even his party's own Senator, Beet, said he wanted to hear what the other candidates have to say in response. So far, there has been no response. We're the only ones talking about the issues that America cares about. And that's why, come this weekend, I think we're going to win. America is going to say that they want a leader who will fight for them, who is talking to them about the issues they care about, and most of all, someone who will listen to them and stand up for their concerns.

*Thunderous applause*
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2004, 12:45:31 AM »

Jackson, MS

*Cheering*

Wow, we've finally made it, folks. This is the last campaign stop of this election campaign.

*Cheers*

And it's no coincidence that I did so here in the great state of Mississippi. I decided to come here because my former Vice President, Harry, requested it, and I'm a man of my word.

*Roaring cheers*

Wow, what a campaign it's been. We've been all over this great nation, talking about the issues. We've addressed your concerns, and now, we're ready to win this election!

*Cheers*

We need a good turnout this weekend, folks. If there is a good turnout of registered voters, we feel confident in our chances.

*Cheers*

Now, there's one last thing that I wish to address on the eve of this campaign. I've stood on principle, and I've moderated my stances when I felt it would be productive and for the good of this nation. I'm a liberal, but I'm pragmatic. I'm willing to listen to reason and compromise.

*Cheers*

I'd like to thank you, Atlas Forum, for giving me the opportunity to be the President for 4 glorious months.

*Cheers*

We still have a lot of work to do, and I hope to get the chance to finish it!

*Cheers*

*Chants of 4 more months, 4 more months*

Thank you, and good evening! Everyone, get out and vote!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies