Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:59:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Poll
Question: Is the universe 12,000 years old?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but  (Read 28504 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 11:37:22 AM »

This thread is just hilarious, Nomo, you're making a fool of yourself.

If you want to know I believe the Earth is really old (by billions of years) and I believe God created the Earth and everything on it and it evolved from there. But oh noes, that's probably not what you wanted! Roll Eyes
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »

If you want to know I believe the Earth is really old (by billions of years) and I believe God created the Earth and everything on it and it evolved from there. But oh noes, that's probably not what you wanted! Roll Eyes

Don't insult. People are allowed to hold different opinions.

Miss Catholic for example is actually following Catholic teaching by believe what she believes.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 11:41:48 AM »

No, it's not - science is about finding the facts, not majority opinion.

democratic - i mean we are all here to discuss various ideas and principles. Science wants to listen to ideas and theories that have scientific backing.

But democracy is simply about majority opinion, not fact, and can be quite against discussion. There's no democracy in facts - they are what they are whether people like them or not.
MissCatholic

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

SO WHY DONT ANY OF YOU REPUBLICANS VOTE THEN?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 11:43:27 AM »

What does it matter from your point of view?  If there is no God, then everything is meaningless and has no consequence.

If there is no god, nothing is meaningless. In fact everything around us would take on more significance if it was discovered that there was nothing involved in its process.

Knowing that science believes the universe will decay into a pool of heat, I don't see how you find any significance in anything going on the universe, since ALL actions end in the same result.  You would have no purpose and no hope.  And without hope, I don't know how you find significance in your existence.

You're basically embracing hopelessness.
MissCatholic

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 11:46:16 AM »

only one republican has got the guts to answer the question.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 11:50:11 AM »

What does it matter from your point of view?  If there is no God, then everything is meaningless and has no consequence.

If there is no god, nothing is meaningless. In fact everything around us would take on more significance if it was discovered that there was nothing involved in its process.

Knowing that science believes the universe will decay into a pool of heat, I don't see how you find any significance in anything going on the universe, since ALL actions end in the same result.  You would have no purpose and no hope.  And without hope, I don't know how you find significance in your existence.

But one could give themselves their own purpose, completely free to decide it as they wished - I don't know if there's a God or not, so that's why I do, and I've got plenty of hope.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »

That's not going to get them to vote, it will probably drive them to attack you or not answer the poll.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »

That's not going to get them to vote, it will probably drive them to attack you or not answer the poll.

And considering only two republicans have voted in this thread, which hasn't even been here a full day, I don't see why she's bitching.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »

gee, thanks
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:51 PM »

Science is the only thing that can beat religion and free the millions of lost minds.

Coming from the person with the screen name "MissCatholic."  So, are you a lost mind?

I believe in God but the catholic faith doesnt tell people in a church paid for by the republican party that theuniverse is 12,000 years old. intelligent design is fact and theory of evolution is garbage.

my religion is not religious fascism.

So, in your case, you can have your cake and eat it too, but for everyone else, it's either "enlightenment" or "fascism," right?  Hmmmmmmm

Let's break it down real simple for you so you can understand.

1)  An incredibly small portion of "Christians" believe every fundamentalist thing you hear in the news, including that the Universe is only 12,000 years old.  However, you like to imply that all Republican "Christians" believe these things because they are brainwashed.  That is simply partisan blindness on your behalf, and ignorant of your history, especially when JFK was criticized for being Catholic, or with Rev. Billy Graham being a religious advisor for Johnson and Clinton.

2)  You can be religious and yet quite informed.  My "Christian" life never stopped me from learning about the inner workings of steam, diesel, and nuclear engines.  It doesn't get in the way of pretty much every other "Christian" out there either, no matter how hard you try to say other wise (again, isolating yourself from your own attacks by implying that it is a Republican-only problem).

3)  You never answered the paradox in your other thread when you proposed the Government telling people their religious beliefs are wrong. 

Look, obviously you just hate Republicans, and are using religious-based attacks to express your feelings.  However, you look awfully silly doing so when you still carry your MissCatholic screen name.  So why don't you do everyone a big favor and get over yourself before you make yourself look even more foolish with trollish threads as these?

A perfect example of what I just said.  Thanks for the material.  Roll Eyes
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 12:32:36 PM »

If the question is, "Is the universe only 12,000 years old," then:

No (R)

Where did this 12,000 years come from?  Don't creationists usually say 6,000 years?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »

It could be two seconds old for all I know.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »

Where did this 12,000 years come from?

Good question...yet you ended it in a preposition. Wink  Your question should read, "From where did this 12,000 years come?"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »

Option 2
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 03:25:21 PM »

Good question...yet you ended it in a preposition. Wink  Your question should read, "From where did this 12,000 years come?"

"This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put."
- Winston Churchill
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »

It's called "coming to terms with reality". Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »

- Winston Churchill

Dude, don't confuse the liberals on this forum...they may think that is correct. 

So, for all you liberals mothers:

"put up" is one word "put-up" and is therefore not a preposition and is ok to use at the end of a sentence....Churchill should have said, "This is the sort of thing with which I will not put-up."

Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »

- Winston Churchill

Dude, don't confuse the liberals on this forum...they may think that is correct. 

So, for all you liberals mothers:

"put up" is one word "put-up" and is therefore not a preposition and is ok to use at the end of a sentence....Churchill should have said, "This is the sort of thing with which I will not put-up."

Wink

Are you high?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »

intelligent design is fact and theory of evolution is garbage.

This is a precious moment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »

The creation-scientists use 6,000 years as the earth's age, not 12,000.  I don't think I've even ever seen anyone say it's 12,000 years old.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »

It could be two seconds old for all I know.
^^^^^
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 05:16:56 PM »

The creation-scientists use 6,000 years as the earth's age, not 12,000.  I don't think I've even ever seen anyone say it's 12,000 years old.

Aye, if you believe the traditional count we're currently in year 6010, although I calculated it myself once and got a a number just a little higher (approximately 6022 I believe).

Prior to Kings, where Biblical history finally begins to mesh with secular history, most people (myself included sometimes) have trouble taking scripture at face value. However, in Luke we see a geneaology stretching from Jesus to Adam. If we cannot take this list of Chirst's ancestors as literally true how can we take his ressurection Luke records as literally true?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »

Aye, if you believe the traditional count we're currently in year 6010, although I calculated it myself once and got a a number just a little higher (approximately 6022 I believe).

Prior to Kings, where Biblical history finally begins to mesh with secular history, most people (myself included sometimes) have trouble taking scripture at face value. However, in Luke we see a geneaology stretching from Jesus to Adam. If we cannot take this list of Chirst's ancestors as literally true how can we take his ressurection Luke records as literally true?

I didn’t mean to post this under my alternative moniker (Liberty).   Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I just spilled the beans on myself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »

I didn’t mean to post this under my alternative moniker (Liberty).   Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I just spilled the beans on myself.

You are slightly more bearable as Liberty Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies