Comprehensive Energy Bill for the 21st Century
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:13:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Comprehensive Energy Bill for the 21st Century  (Read 2942 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »

Recognizing the growing threat that dependence on foreign sources of energy posses to Atlasia’s security, the Senate approves the following measures to alleviate the current energy crisis.

Section One:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of hydrogen fuel cells shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Two:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of a fusion reactor shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Three:

The tax break for the purchase of a hybrid car shall be raised to $ 1500 in the year of purchase and $ 750 every subsequent year the car is operated by the original owner.

Section Four:

The federal government shall establish a grant program to assist local authorities in the construction, expansion, and maintenance of a public transportation system. This program shall receive funds totaling 3750 million dollars each year from FY 2007 to FY 2011.
a)   The local authority must be either planning or constructing a public transportation system in at least part of their jurisdiction.
b)   A public transportation system shall be defined as a subway, light rail, bus, or monorail line.
c)   The local authority must be independently audited and must report upon the progress of the program at the conclusion of each federal fiscal year.
d)   If federal funds are misappropriated from the program, the funds for the subsequent fiscal year shall be cancelled.
e)   No authority may request funds in excess of 150 million dollars per fiscal year nor shall any authority receive funding in excess of such an amount.

Section Five:
The Senate will authorize a commission for the study of converting certain high use interstate highways into toll roads utilizing an automated payment system. This commission shall be appointed by the Senate and shall receive funding of 0.25 million dollars. They shall prepare a report within one year on the feasibility and the economic benefits of such a conversion.

[1] & [2] -These tax breaks will help spur investment into these technologies while retaining the competition of the free market.

[3] - The present tax break is $ 500 per year.

Sponsor: Sen. Jake
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:54:56 PM »

All I have to say is that I strongly support this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »

A quick look through this reveals no obvious horrible oversights; I must say that a bill like this is sorely needed in the 21st century, as we must, at some time, wean ourselves from fossil fuels.  Better sooner than later.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:17 PM »

Before going out and voting, someone should look up the Kennedy Energy plan, which Senator nation introduced.  I wrote it and I remember having provisions similar to what's here.  Everyone want to look that up and make sure that this changes things in the way you want.

One trouble we have as time goes on is that as the status quo here deviates from the status quo irl, it gets harder and harder to conceptualize problems and more and more complicated to solve problems, so everyone be sure to check that old bill out.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 10:17:15 PM »

I used the bill as my first step and built off a few of the provisions, namely Sections 1 and 3 IIRC.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »

I used the bill as my first step and built off a few of the provisions, namely Sections 1 and 3 IIRC.

Ah, good.  Just wanted to make sure, and I wasn't sure what the specific of the first bill were, so good show.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 08:40:26 AM »

I strongly support this legislation, and urge that the Senate pass it.

Before going out and voting, someone should look up the Kennedy Energy plan, which Senator nation introduced.  I wrote it and I remember having provisions similar to what's here.  Everyone want to look that up and make sure that this changes things in the way you want.

One trouble we have as time goes on is that as the status quo here deviates from the status quo irl, it gets harder and harder to conceptualize problems and more and more complicated to solve problems, so everyone be sure to check that old bill out.

Interesting -could you perhaps provide a link to that bill you are referring to? 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 08:48:02 AM »

Interesting -could you perhaps provide a link to that bill you are referring to? 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=8570.0
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »

Recognizing the growing threat that dependence on foreign sources of energy posses to Atlasia?s security, the Senate approves the following measures to alleviate the current energy crisis.

Section One:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of hydrogen fuel cells shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Two:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of a fusion reactor shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Three:

The tax break for the purchase of a hybrid car shall be raised to $ 1500 in the year of purchase and $ 750 every subsequent year the car is operated by the original owner.

Section Four:

The federal government shall establish a grant program to assist local authorities in the construction, expansion, and maintenance of a public transportation system. This program shall receive funds totaling 3750 million dollars each year from FY 2007 to FY 2011.
a)   The local authority must be either planning or constructing a public transportation system in at least part of their jurisdiction.
b)   A public transportation system shall be defined as a subway, light rail, bus, or monorail line.
c)   The local authority must be independently audited and must report upon the progress of the program at the conclusion of each federal fiscal year.
d)   If federal funds are misappropriated from the program, the funds for the subsequent fiscal year shall be cancelled.
e)   No authority may request funds in excess of 150 million dollars per fiscal year nor shall any authority receive funding in excess of such an amount.

Section Five:
The Senate will authorize a commission for the study of converting certain high use interstate highways into toll roads utilizing an automated payment system. This commission shall be appointed by the Senate and shall receive funding of 0.25 million dollars. They shall prepare a report within one year on the feasibility and the economic benefits of such a conversion.

[1] & [2] -These tax breaks will help spur investment into these technologies while retaining the competition of the free market.

[3] - The present tax break is $ 500 per year.

The vote is on final passage.  Senators may vote Yea, Nay, or Abstain.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »

Aye
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 03:48:56 PM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 03:52:23 PM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »

Abstain
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 03:54:39 PM »

Nay.  Good idea, (besides Section 4,) wrong time, sorry Undecided
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 05:28:51 PM »

Aye.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 07:07:20 PM »

Nay.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 09:15:30 PM »

Aye
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 10:28:10 PM »

Abstain
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 08:21:34 AM »

Hmm... this is probably my last vote so... hmm... this is probably needed and I do like the idea of helping out local authorities...

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass, Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »

how much revenue will these tax breaks cost the government every year?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »

With 5 Ayes, 3 Nays and 2 Abstenations this bill has passed. I present it to the President for his signiture.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »

That is why i voted against it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 02:08:27 PM »

It would have been nice if you had aired your concerns when the bill was opened for discussion instead of keeping your mouth shut, and then later voting against it.  Being a real-life member of the Green Party, one would have thought you would have been a natural supporter of the bill.   Tongue
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

Me, too.

Frodo, you're absolutely right, I should have said something, but I really didn't think about it until it was up for a vote.  It really couldn't have changed anything anyway, since that's the whole point of the bill, but I still should have said something Undecided
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies