Bush loves the wire-tapping story...Dems want to join in!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush loves the wire-tapping story...Dems want to join in!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush loves the wire-tapping story...Dems want to join in!  (Read 1943 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:27:17 PM »

Bush brags about it every chance he gets...and NOW the Dems want to pass a law to ok what Bush is already doing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »

OK.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »

Yes, the people loved these guys as well:
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:07:37 PM »

Sadly, myself and majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one.  Rove and Bush are loving the 'negative' wiretapping press because it plays right into their "we'll keep you safe while the dem's bitch game plan".
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »

Sadly, myself and majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one. 

Nick, you need to stop listening to unsubstantiated right wing talking points!!

http://poll.gallup.com/content/?ci=21058

Look at the results of the independents.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:54:45 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2006, 10:02:55 PM by jmfcst »

Sadly, myself and majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one. 

Nick, you need to start using the reflexive pronoun "myself" in a reflexive way.

Try, "Sadly, I and the majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one."

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2006, 10:42:53 PM by Tredrick »

Nick, you need to start using the reflexive pronoun "myself" in a reflexive way.

Try, "Sadly, I and the majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one."

No, the best form for this sentence is: Sadly, I, along with the majority of the democratic leadership, walked right into a trap on this one.  If only we had listened to Tredrick, the smartest and sexiest man on this forum.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »

Sadly, myself and majority of the democratic leadership walked right into a trap on this one.  Rove and Bush are loving the 'negative' wiretapping press because it plays right into their "we'll keep you safe while the dem's bitch game plan".

It wouldn't be so effective if it weren't true.  I don't know if Bush can keep us safe, but I know the Democrats sure can't.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:37:12 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2006, 10:43:13 PM by Senator Gabu »

No, the best form for this sentence is: [a colon should not be here] [quote marks should go here] Sadly, I. alonf [??] with the majority of the democratic leadership, walked right into a trap on this one.  If only we had listened to Tredrick, the smartest and sexiest man on this forum. [not a complete sentence!]

Tredrick, this is unacceptable.  See me after class.

I think the best form for this sentence is as follows: "Tredrick, go take English class plz"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 10:40:09 PM »

No, the best form for this sentence is:

Sadly, I, along with the majority of the democratic leadership, walked right into a trap on this one. 

two pauses back to back is not very effective. 

Maybe "Sadly, I walk with the majority of the democratic leadership."

Wink

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 10:46:17 PM »

No, the best form for this sentence is: [a colon should not be here] [quote marks should go here] Sadly, I. alonf with the majority of the democratic leadership, walked right into a trap on this one.  If only we had listened to Tredrick, the smartest and sexiest man on this forum. [not a complete sentence!]

Tredrick, this is unacceptable.  See me after class.

I think the best form for this sentence is as follows: "Tredrick, go take English class plz"

No quote mark is needed since I used the colon to indicate a following example.

The second is an example of an advanced literary technique.  It leaves it up to the reader how to finish the thought.  It requries an intelligent reader which, being Candian, you clearly are not.

Finally, introducing typos to make me look foolish is beneath you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:49:26 PM »

You can't introduce something with simply "is" and then a colon, however.  It needs to be something like "is the following".

Also, you still typed "I. alonf".
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 10:54:57 PM »

You can't introduce something with simply "is" and then a colon, however.  It needs to be something like "is the following".

Also, you still typed "I. alonf".

Yes, you can.  Check the MLA manual.

If I did, it was a multi lingual pun involving English and the African language with the clicking sound.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 10:57:41 PM »

If I did, it was a multi lingual pun involving English and the African language with the clicking sound.

You're not getting out of this one that easily, young man; I caught you fair and square there.

Also, I am a literary genius who must be revered for his rhyming ability.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »

It requries an intelligent reader which, being Candian, you clearly are not.

Requries?  Candian?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 11:01:38 PM »

It requries an intelligent reader which, being Candian, you clearly are not.

Requries?  Candian?

Maybe Tredrick is drunk tonight.  I couldn't blame him, after a day of teaching those teenaged monsters.....Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »

My new name for Tredrick is "I. Alonf" and there's nothing he can do about it.

He may choose what he wishes the I to stand for.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 11:07:56 PM »

I just like how the democrats have changed their tone today.  Now they're saying "We have no problem with Bush monitoring communication in the name of national security.  Just let us debate what changes in the law needs to be made in Congress first."  Sounds like they are beginning to realize that Bush's executive orders are actually legal.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 11:12:14 PM »

I just like how the democrats have changed their tone today.  Now they're saying "We have no problem with Bush monitoring communication in the name of national security.  Just let us debate what changes in the law needs to be made in Congress first."  Sounds like they are beginning to realize that Bush's executive orders are actually legal.

...either that, or that the public actually doesn't mind the government listening to the conversations of known terrorist sympathizers.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »

what is everyone talking about? I haven't heard anything about dem legislators changing their minds on this stuff today...

link?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 01:33:52 AM »

what is everyone talking about? I haven't heard anything about dem legislators changing their minds on this stuff today...

link?

I saw several news clips today where the Dem leadership basically said, "If the President needs these powers to fight the war on terror, then we'll pass a law to give him the power.  All he has to do is call us."

They're asking Bush to throw them a lifeline.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 02:57:27 AM »

link?

I saw several news clips today where the Dem leadership basically said, "If the President needs these powers to fight the war on terror, then we'll pass a law to give him the power.  All he has to do is call us."

They're asking Bush to throw them a lifeline.

Re-read what they said. They didn't say exactly that.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »

As far as I can tell, he took a fox news story (which already has some rather suspitious looking elipeses), in which Senator Kennedy states that some actions involving calls to non-US citizens from outside the US could be considered legal under the FISA law and spun it further until he was dizzy.  (I suppose if you interpereted section 1802(a) of FISA, using a broad reading of the definition of foriegn power you might be able to put some instances within the gray area of the law, as long as you did not knowingly spy on American citizens without warrant and took appropriate precautions.

I have not been able to verify the quote from an alternate source (and thus find out what was ommited in the elipses), but Kennedy has stated that the if the president wanted the law changed he should have asked congress - and since his party controls it he would have had a good chance of succeeding.

I'm not sure about the comments of any other "democratic leaders" - perhaps if you provided a link or two to a legitimate news source (i.e. not a blog or rumor mill), or at least a few quotes from prominent democrats in context which I could run a search or two on...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 03:15:35 AM »

Let's translate what I think the Democrats were trying to say, in any case.

Sure, Bush you could have worked with us on this issue, where we'd have probably told you that anything you wanted to do that would actually helped fight terror was already legal, and that if you wanted to expand it to do unrelated stuff, that you could go to hell.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 08:48:48 AM »

No, the best form for this sentence is: Sadly, I, along with the majority of the democratic leadership, walked right into a trap on this one.  If only we had listened to Tredrick, the smartest and sexiest man on this forum.

You left out the "humble" part.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies