Madame President: is it possible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:30:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Madame President: is it possible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Madame President: is it possible?  (Read 8251 times)
cole
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2004, 11:41:36 PM »

do you think it's possible for a woman to be elected president in, say, the next 20 or so years? and if so, which party would do it?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 11:50:28 PM »

Republicans have the edge for breaking new ground regarding minorities and women for the presidency.  It's less scary for those who would vote against a candidate for those kinds of reasons.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:56:43 PM »

It won't happen in the next 20 years - we'll be at war, probably more severe than at the moment, for most of those 20 years.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:20:08 AM »

Yeah, it could definitely happen in the next 20.  A few possibilities ....

Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Dole, Mary Landrieu, Condoleeza Rice.
NewFreedom
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:16:25 AM »

I strongly hope it is... but she'd need lot's of connections do various companies, possibly more than a male candidate.
Other question: can someone become president with not at least ONE major Industry behind him or her? Wink
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:31:29 AM »

Ugh, I hope none of those people ever get elected President.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 02:58:09 AM »

Ugh, I hope none of those people ever get elected President.

I understand the beef with Clinton and Rice ... but why so down on Dole and Landrieu?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:02:28 AM »

Elizabeth Dole is just one of those people who gets hyped and hyped by the media and her party, but she rarely seems to et anything done.  Maybe I'm being unfair and if I paid closer attention to her Senate record I'd like her.

Landrieu is a perfectly nice Senator, but isn't cut from the Presidential cloth.  Not enough of that inner strength that shows through in great leaders.  But as a Senator, she's fine (for a Democrat).
zachman

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 06:20:04 PM »

Sure its possible just as it is possible for an African-American to become President. Here is my rule as to how this will happen:

1. The primary thing that people think about that candidate can not be that "Its a she" or "He could be a black President." I think Chris Rock could advance past this standard, and Barack Obama might be able to in 15 years or so. I can't predict that any current woman politician could bypass this rule.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 07:14:23 PM »

Sure its possible just as it is possible for an African-American to become President. Here is my rule as to how this will happen:

1. The primary thing that people think about that candidate can not be that "Its a she" or "He could be a black President." I think Chris Rock could advance past this standard, and Barack Obama might be able to in 15 years or so. I can't predict that any current woman politician could bypass this rule.

There's a chance of a female president, but absolutely no chance of a black president.  Maybe a VP ascending after a presidential death, but even that is unlikely.
M

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »

I think a female president could potentially be great, as could a black president. It just depends on picking the right person. I think Condi Rice would be an excellent choice for Rudy's running mate come 2008. She is also my second favorite 2008 nominee if Rudy loses.
zachman

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 09:04:54 PM »

I'm sorry to break it to you but one of the first things people think about Condi Rice is that she's a black woman. When attention is brought to diversity, that candidate will fail.

Also, Condi's historical information comment puts her at par with the rest of Bush camp, which will be seen unfavorably by 08'.
M

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 09:37:58 PM »

Whether it will be seen by history as unfavorable is infinitely debatable (I could say yes, you know; and we could both have the same opposing views in 60 years). But how it will be seen in '08 will depend on current events. Afghanistan and Iraq will eventually fade into the background as some sort of governments work themselves out, while other issues will come to the fore, including the UIsrael-Palestine situation, the Iranian quest for nuclear material, and Hezbollah's presence in Lebanon. How those go could decide a lot.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 09:58:08 PM »

The only way a black/female could get elected in the next twenty years is if they ran as a Republican -- I don't think most of the nation is ready for a minority/female Democratic Presidential candidate, as ludicrous as their reasoning may be, whatever it is.

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 10:03:06 PM »

Possible, yes.  Probable, no.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 11:47:43 PM »

The only way a black/female could get elected in the next twenty years is if they ran as a Republican -- I don't think most of the nation is ready for a minority/female Democratic Presidential candidate, as ludicrous as their reasoning may be, whatever it is.

Its hard to say.  Southern Republicans would get so frustrated if a woman or minority was on the Republican ticket they would probably either stay home in strong #'s or run a 3rd party candidate which would wind up really hurting the Republican ticket.  Meanwhile that  same Republican base would be so scared if a minority. woman was on running for Pres on a Dem tickey they would come out in strong #'s
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 04:18:20 AM »

Could happen... I agree with all the names mentioned but I also believe Lt. Governor Jennette Bradley(R-OH) could also become a contender some day.
JRP1994

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »

Wow. This is interesting.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 02:58:30 PM »

Yes how in less than 20 years we have had a black president and a woman president (more than likely)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 04:53:06 AM »

This was 2004, which was a very favourable year for 'traditional values' and the like.
Present
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »

Oh 2004, if only you could have seen 2016. One option would be a Madame President, the other would be a businessman President (who identified more as a Democrat in 2004).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies