School Uniforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  School Uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should they be required at all publicly-funded public schools, including colleges and universities?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: School Uniforms  (Read 13527 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 12:30:49 AM »

At the very least, khakis and a polo or dress shirt should be required by all schools.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 12:31:46 AM »

At my High School, uniforms were not needed as we were a very safe area in San Diego County and had no gangs.  But in some of the more dangerous inner city schools they could prove very useful and I wouldn't oppose instituting them if parents wanted that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 02:08:07 AM »

No (normal). Also, they should be banned in public schools. They're unnecessary and expensive.

They aren't expensive. We bought my daughters uniform shirts for under 5 dollars each and the pants and skirts for about 5-6. The districts allows skirts, pants and shorts. So uniforms are not *always* restrictive.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 07:04:22 AM »

No (normal). Also, they should be banned in public schools. They're unnecessary and expensive.

They aren't expensive. We bought my daughters uniform shirts for under 5 dollars each and the pants and skirts for about 5-6. The districts allows skirts, pants and shorts. So uniforms are not *always* restrictive.

True about the cost.  Uniforms are usually cheaper than having to have a new set of designer clothes for every day of the week.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 07:54:27 AM »

True about the cost.  Uniforms are usually cheaper than having to have a new set of designer clothes for every day of the week.

Exactly. They are often better made, last longer and are not affected by the latest fashion trends.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »

No; our school has a dress code and everyone ignores it.  Imagine how everyone would ignore the uniforms Tongue

And, dazz, of course it would be cheaper then a set of designer clothes for ever day of the year, but those families that can afford such an expenditure aren't the ones who people who are concerned about uniform cost are worried about.

(Wow, that was grammatically clunky Tongue)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 08:17:40 AM »

No; our school has a dress code and everyone ignores it.  Imagine how everyone would ignore the uniforms Tongue

And, dazz, of course it would be cheaper then a set of designer clothes for ever day of the year, but those families that can afford such an expenditure aren't the ones who people who are concerned about uniform cost are worried about.

(Wow, that was grammatically clunky Tongue)

In schools where different economic groups mix, clothes are often used as a measure of affluence and used to ostracize and exclude the kids who can't afford the better clothes.  So in that sense, parents of those kids come under pressure to get expensive clothes they can't afford so their kids can 'fit in.'  Uniforms help with this problem.  They also, in disorderly schools, help to bring a measure of control.

If your school lets you get away with ignoring the dress code, then it's their fault.  Kids always try to push limits to see how far they can get away with.  I had a dress code in HS, and pushed the limits all the time.  But if you pushed it beyond a certain point, it earned you an invitation to an after school 'party' hosted by the dean of discipline, as I learned a number of times.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »

In schools where different economic groups mix, clothes are often used as a measure of affluence and used to ostracize and exclude the kids who can't afford the better clothes.

Wearing the same clothes as their betters will not change the degraded status of poors, dazzleman. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Redistribution would help a lot more!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006, 09:02:30 AM »

Hell no! uniforms are terrible. They have no upside and cause a loss of individuality.

Yup, I pretty much agree.

Fascist? You're not even close to it. The only person whose even anywhere close to fascism is jake.

But he is a fake, and I am a real. 

You think Jake is fake?  Why in the world?

No, he thinks Jake is a fake, and he is a real.  Ya get it now? Smiley
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »

strongly support (normal)

comment to opebo:  no one is stopping you from redistributing your wealth.  practice what you preach.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »

Absolutely.  Great idea.  Uniforms in all public schools all across the nation.

Colleges and Universities, no.   
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »

Walter and Winfield, why do you support uniforms?  I'm curious to know.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2006, 11:38:06 AM »

schools should prepare children for the future.

most jobs require either uniforms or a very strict dress code....why not schools?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »

strongly support (normal)

comment to opebo:  no one is stopping you from redistributing your wealth.  practice what you preach.

Kudos Wally.

I actually wore a uniform for part of my grade school experience, and had a dress code in high school.

I was a serial violator of the uniforms/dress codes.  I wore sneakers sometimes, which was strictly forbidden.  I degraded my clothes as much as possible, wearing pants and jackets that were all frayed, ripped, stained with ink, etc.  Some of the shoes I wore looked as if they'd been through a nuclear war.  I had hair that was a good deal longer than what it was supposed to be.  As I got older and started growing facial hair, I failed to shave sometimes and went to school with stubble, though that was also forbidden.

I realize now that a dress code is a great way to channel kids' natural rebellion into something harmless.  I had a need to break rules, and without a dress code, I might have done worse things to satisfy that need.  For that reason alone, I think dress codes are a great idea.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

There are many, many compelling reasons for students in public schools wearing uniforms.

For the sake of brevity, one reason I will state is that it puts students more on an equal footing.  Their social standing is based more on the individuals character rather than their economic status.  We would not have the problem of students competing with each other as to who is wearing the latest fads.  Students would not be permitted to wear gang clothing.

I think Walter gave one of the best reasons, and he beat me to it for posting it, about preparing students for the future.  In the adult world, the world into which students will be entering, there all kinds of dress codes, standards, and even uniforms.         
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »

There are many, many compelling reasons for students in public schools wearing uniforms.

For the sake of brevity, one reason I will state is that it puts students more on an equal footing.  Their social standing is based more on the individuals character rather than their economic status.  We would not have the problem of students competing with each other as to who is wearing the latest fads.  Students would not be permitted to wear gang clothing.

I think Walter gave one of the best reasons, and he beat me to it for posting it, about preparing students for the future.  In the adult world, the world into which students will be entering, there all kinds of dress codes, standards, and even uniforms.         

Yes, kids need to learn to freedom is not absolute.  The need to earn a living is a big impediment to total freedom.  The biggest limiter in life, I have learned, is time.  There is so much I'd like to do, but I'm required to be present at work for the best part of my waking hours.

Kids often think that adults can do whatever they like, a very unrealistic notion, and this whole 'freedom of expression' argument plays right into that.  Whether or not a uniform is even required, it's not good to intentionally or inadvertently feed inaccurate about the adult world to kids as they're growing up and impressionable.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »

You have a picture? Post it.

I actually never knew anyone in high school who was made fun of for what he or she wore. The majority of girls did not dress like sluts, although I did enjoy the exceptions.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2006, 02:36:29 PM »

Now that I'm out of high school I really don't care.

This poll includes collges and universities too.

I'd love to see the success in trying to implement this at my university! Largely because not even the administration would support it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2006, 02:49:01 PM »

I actually never knew anyone in high school who was made fun of for what he or she wore.

Same here. And it did happen occaisonally in middle school, but the exact opposite of what these people are claiming, the kids picked on were the ones wearing expensive clothes. One of my friends got suspended for a week for beating up a prep, it wasn't for that reason of course, but rather that the kid was a complete dickhead who had it coming, but I heard plenty of kids congratulate him later for giving a black eye to an "Abercrombie wearer". My friend also belonged to one of the most affluent families at my school, and they could've easily afforded expensive clothes if he wanted to.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2006, 02:56:28 PM »

Oh, so since it never happened at your school, it must never happen anywhere else?

Did I say that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006, 03:03:18 PM »

Oh, so since it never happened at your school, it must never happen anywhere else?

No, but it shows uniforms would've had no benefit at my school.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2006, 03:10:30 PM »

So I shelled out $700 or so just for this?!?! I hardly buy any new clothes more than twice a year!! I've been wasting so much laundry lately because of school uniforms. It takes me half an hour to bike to school every day. When it rains, as it always does in winter, I leave home wearing casual clothes and pack my uniform in my bag. Not only does this add an unnecessary load of laundry, it adds extra weight to my already stiff back and often the uniform itself gets wet!!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »

I think the better question to ask is why are you biking half an hour to school?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »

I think the better question to ask is why are you biking half an hour to school?
I go to a private school and my parents are adament at driving me every day, so Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2006, 07:56:52 AM »

So I shelled out $700 or so just for this?!?! I hardly buy any new clothes more than twice a year!! I've been wasting so much laundry lately because of school uniforms. It takes me half an hour to bike to school every day. When it rains, as it always does in winter, I leave home wearing casual clothes and pack my uniform in my bag. Not only does this add an unnecessary load of laundry, it adds extra weight to my already stiff back and often the uniform itself gets wet!!

I..feeel your painnn [/Bill Clinton]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies