School Uniforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:52:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  School Uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Should they be required at all publicly-funded public schools, including colleges and universities?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: School Uniforms  (Read 13524 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »

Am I the only guy in the country who wears cargo pants? Haven't worn jeans in years..

No, I have a couple pairs, but jeans make up about 90% of the pants category from what I've seen.

True. I guess T-shirt and cargo pants falls into the "Normal" category anyhow.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2006, 11:30:39 PM »

Yeah, kids dress so creatively when they all wear the exact same style and fashion.

Except they don't.

I suspect the only youths Tredrick knows are the mall-type.

I teach in a low SES school.

And BRTD is right, they really wear about 5 or 6 different outfits.  But the point stands (and is a play on a semi-famous quote.)

Even if true, you can have much variation in an "outfit". For example, my "outfit" is always T-shirt and jeans. I NEVER wear anything else, except I might put a hoodie on when it's cool but not cold enough for my jacket and often leave it on inside. However my shirts are all different from others. I always wear band shirts. This is far different from wearing a shirt with Abercrombie and Fitch on it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2006, 11:35:47 PM »

How is say, ten shirts with different bands on them different from ten shirts with different designs on them or ten polos with different colors, stripes, and logos?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »

Am I the only guy in the country who wears cargo pants? Haven't worn jeans in years..

I wear sweat pants everywhere, myself.  I don't quite know why, but I never got into jeans.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2006, 12:30:41 AM »

I wear sweat pants everywhere, myself.  I don't quite know why, but I never got into jeans.

I wear both sweats, jeans and shorts. From about March - November its pretty much shorts everyday but I do like to wear long pants at work because it's so cold in there.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2006, 06:12:17 AM »

I wear jean, cargo pants and sweats, depending on what mood I'm in.

The thing I had about sweats is that they have no zipper and opening for when I need to take a whiz.  Jeans and cargo pants are better for that.

I also like the extra pockets that cargo pants have.  They come in handy sometimes.

I also like carpenter's jeans.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »

School Uniforms are detrimental to the creativity and individuality of a student. I would glady walk through the Towering Inferno in a GASOLINE SUIT to prevent them!

That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.  Maybe the world would be a better place if people who claim to have such a commitment to their beliefs as you claim to actually did something for a positive cause, or at least one that matters.  To be willing to effective commit suicide over school uniforms is pretty pathetic.

I doubt you're serious in any case, but the thought is just ridiculous.  This is an example of why so many people find it hard to take liberals seriously.

The fact that you believe in school uniforms makes me want to tell you to go to hell, but since I'm polite, I won't. I would not commit suicide over it you dumbass, I was just making my case of how passionately I hold this issue. In my junior year as Class President, the new principal said to the officers that he was considering uniforms, and asked us for input. I told him flatly that I would stage a walkout. He argued his case, but so did we, and he dropped the idea. Creativity and individuality mean more to me than you do dazzleman, as they do to any freedom loving individual. When I go to school, I don't wanna see everyone look the same. I wanna see polo shirts, goths, thongs, etc. I wanna enjoy my time there, not be told what to wear, and when to wear it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2006, 07:03:15 AM »

School Uniforms are detrimental to the creativity and individuality of a student. I would glady walk through the Towering Inferno in a GASOLINE SUIT to prevent them!

That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.  Maybe the world would be a better place if people who claim to have such a commitment to their beliefs as you claim to actually did something for a positive cause, or at least one that matters.  To be willing to effective commit suicide over school uniforms is pretty pathetic.

I doubt you're serious in any case, but the thought is just ridiculous.  This is an example of why so many people find it hard to take liberals seriously.

The fact that you believe in school uniforms makes me want to tell you to go to hell, but since I'm polite, I won't. I would not commit suicide over it you dumbass, I was just making my case of how passionately I hold this issue. In my junior year as Class President, the new principal said to the officers that he was considering uniforms, and asked us for input. I told him flatly that I would stage a walkout. He argued his case, but so did we, and he dropped the idea. Creativity and individuality mean more to me than you do dazzleman, as they do to any freedom loving individual. When I go to school, I don't wanna see everyone look the same. I wanna see polo shirts, goths, thongs, etc. I wanna enjoy my time there, not be told what to wear, and when to wear it.

Thanks for proving my point.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2006, 08:44:15 AM »

tertiary, no; but otherwise yes. certainly in primary school.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »

Thanks for proving my point.

Yep Smiley Liberals fall for it every time. haha
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

Guys style:
-Jeans/Khakis with a polo/shirt (Prep)
-Some sort of skater ensemble with jeans and a hoodie/t-shirt (Skater)
-Hoodie and jeans/sweatpants (Poor)
-Polo/t-shirt/sweater and jeans (Normal)
-Wierd mix of various items, usually black (Goth)
-Wierd mix of various items (Punk)

That's not a very wide variation. I know I've seen a good number of t-shirts multiple times in a day, usually ones of bands or skate companies, occasionally a polo.

That's a pretty accurate run-down for a guy who doesn't notice such things.  But the truth is the only way to be at all 'different' in terms of clothing is to shop at thrift stores.  If you buy new, of course you're gonig to have the same shirt or trouser as a lot of other people. 

I like slacks and corderoys, as well as khakis, Akno.  Cargo pants are similar to khakis, I just don't like all those pockets.  But jeans just aren't very comfortable, generally.. I need a little more room!
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2006, 06:50:44 PM »

Don't care.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2006, 10:18:31 PM »

I do wish my city had a magnet school for the remotely competent, where we would be entrusted to dress ourselves (not that we currently have uniforms), stay in school ourselves, and are allowed to operate advanced electronics such as CD players without having them confiscated.

Grumble, grumble.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2006, 02:35:12 PM »

I'm glad to be out of HS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »