Because some didn't belive me... (re: Sheehan)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Because some didn't belive me... (re: Sheehan)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Because some didn't belive me... (re: Sheehan)  (Read 1987 times)
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »

From AP:

American peace activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, said Saturday she is strongly considering running for office against U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein because the California lawmaker will not support calls to immediately bring the troops home.

Sheehan, who was visiting Venezuela for the World Social Forum along with activists from around the world, said she has been thinking of challenging Feinstein for her seat for some time.

"I think this is so urgent and necessary that this is what I have to do," Sheehan told The Associated Press in an interview, adding she would make a final decision on whether to run after talking it over with her three adult children in California in the coming days.

The Democratic primary will be held in June, and candidates must submit their statements by Feb. 14.

Sheehan, 48, who lives in Berkeley, Calif., accused Feinstein of being out-of-touch with Californians on Iraq.

"She voted for the war. She continues to vote for the funding. She won't call for an immediate withdrawal of the troops," said Sheehan, who gained international attention when she set up a protest camp near U.S. President George W. Bush's Texas ranch last year.

"I think our senator needs to be held accountable for her support of George Bush and his war policies," she added.

Feinstein's campaign manager, Kam Kuwata, denied that.

"She doesn't support George Bush and his war policies," Kuwata said by phone from California. "She has stated publicly on numerous occasions that she felt she was misled by the administration at the time of the vote."

But with troops committed, Feinstein believes immediate withdrawal is not a responsible option, Kuwata said. "Sen. Feinstein's position is let's work toward quickly turning over the defense of Iraq to Iraqis so that we can bring the troops home as soon as possible."

Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in Iraq in 2004, said running in Democratic primary would help make a broader point.

"If I decided to run, I would have no illusions of winning, but it would bring attention to all the peace candidates in the country," she said. "And I know I would be able to at least have some influence on policy."

Sheehan also said she was irritated that the veteran senator had not backed a filibuster of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito.

Feinstein announced on Friday that would in fact support that filibuster, shortly before Sheehan issued a statement saying she would run against the senator if she didn't take a harder line.

Democrats fear Alito would shift the court rightward on issues including abortion, affirmative action and the death penalty.

----------------------------------------------

Quick! Someone break out the lolrus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »

what the Hell?  If she runs she'll lose a lot of my respect...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »

Feinstein is in zero danger whatsoever.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »

DiFi decided before the e-mail was sent.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 05:58:47 PM »

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »

Forget T.O., Cindy Sheehan has the biggest ego in the country.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 06:01:36 PM »

What human trash. I have zero sympathy for the bitch.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »

This woman needs serious help.

And now she's moved to Berzerkeley.  That figures.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »

I am rapidly losing respect for this woman, though she lost a son in the war, so no matter how stupid she may be she deserves due respect.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »

I am rapidly losing respect for this woman, though she lost a son in the war, so no matter how stupid she may be she deserves due respect.

No, her son deserves respect.

She deserves sympathy, but is quickly moving toward abusing it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »

She deserved respect, in my opinion.  Whenever something bad happens to you, you get a certain finite amount of respect from everyone around you.  At that point you essentially have two options: either invest it and allow your respect to slowly grow, or spend it all wildly, and quickly lose all of your respect.  Sheehan has chosen the latter option.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »

Her son died and she has the right to be pissed off, but what kind of message does it send if she runs against Feinstien? that "Vote for me, even though I have ZERO expirience, because my son died and I hate the war". I don't vote for candidates who would be loonies on either side. I am sorry her son died, but it shouldn't equate a job in office.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »

Her son died and she has the right to be pissed off, but what kind of message does it send if she runs against Feinstien? that "Vote for me, even though I have ZERO expirience, because my son died and I hate the war". I don't vote for candidates who would be loonies on either side. I am sorry her son died, but it shouldn't equate a job in office.

What does 'experience' have to do with being a Senator?  As long as the person votes the right way (with party), their experience doens't matter.  I don't see why anyone would 'lose respect' for Sheehan for making a symbolic run as a criticism of Feinstein, who is after all a bit conservative for a Californian Democrat.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 06:29:45 PM »

I don't see why anyone would 'lose respect' for Sheehan for making a symbolic run as a criticism of Feinstein, who is after all a bit conservative for a Californian Democrat.

She started out attempting to avenge her son's death, to get some answers, and stuff like that.  It all seemed very noble at the time.  However, she's increasingly starting to use her son's death as a springboard to advance her own career, which I find substantially less noble.  I'm not even really sure she remembers why she started her crusade anymore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »

I don't see why anyone would 'lose respect' for Sheehan for making a symbolic run as a criticism of Feinstein, who is after all a bit conservative for a Californian Democrat.

She started out attempting to avenge her son's death, to get some answers, and stuff like that.  It all seemed very noble at the time.  However, she's increasingly starting to use her son's death as a springboard to advance her own career, which I find substantially less noble.  I'm not even really sure she remembers why she started her crusade anymore.

I see your point, but considering the horrible people she is attacking, I'm all for anything she does!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »

I see your point, but considering the horrible people she is attacking, I'm all for anything she does!

The ends should not justify the means, no matter one's beliefs.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »

The ends should not justify the means, no matter one's beliefs.

What are you talking about, Alcon?  It is not allowed to be egotistical and in politics?  You're holding this women to a much different standard than the one you hold other politicians to!
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 07:26:39 PM »

I hope she wins the nomination (unlikely, of course, even in California most Democrats retain enough rationality not to vote for her... I think). She'd lose. Although she could end up as congresswoman from Berzerkeley...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 07:45:43 PM »

And she continues to be a media whore.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 08:35:22 AM »

What human trash. I have zero sympathy for the bitch.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 11:03:46 AM »

I hope she wins the nomination (unlikely, of course, even in California most Democrats retain enough rationality not to vote for her... I think). She'd lose. Although she could end up as congresswoman from Berzerkeley...

Dan, did you get the "Berzerkeley" phrase from me?  If so, I'm flattered.  If not, I'll just say -- great minds think alike.  I've been using it too.  I think it's very accurate.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 11:08:41 AM »

...and conspiracy theories that Sheehan is a Republican mole gain more credibility...

Just kidding, of course, but she has surely hurt Democrats more than she hurt Bush and Republicans.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 11:16:17 AM »

No, you insulting misogynists are human trash. 

...and conspiracy theories that Sheehan is a Republican mole gain more credibility...

Just kidding, of course, but she has surely hurt Democrats more than she hurt Bush and Republicans.

That is a laughable assertion, Blue Recta.  Hardly anyone other than diehard liberals or paranoid right-wingers even notices the poor woman.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 08:08:07 PM »

In addition to my ignore list, I think I'm going to make a list of publicity whores.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies