English members: if the Kennedys staged a Royal Coup...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:22:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  English members: if the Kennedys staged a Royal Coup...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If the Kennedys staged a Royal Coup, how would you react?
Defend the English Crown

Aid the Kennedys in their efforts

Move to another country

Be horribly amused at the absurdity

Not really care

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: English members: if the Kennedys staged a Royal Coup...  (Read 1720 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:45:05 AM »

For a long time now, it seems that there hasn't been much contention over the Crown of England.

Imagine that all changed.

Let's postulate that the Kennedys (the American family of John, Robert and Ted) decided that they were tired of no longer weilding immense influence in America. They decide that the time is ripe to oust the Royal Family of England and take the position for themselves. Being quite rich, they have more than enough money to hire a private militia and buy tons of weapons, jets, tanks, body armor, etc. And the great thing is, NO ONE would see it coming.

So one day, England is just farting around; watching football, drinking tea, not expecting anything out of the ordinary. And then, suddenly, out of nowhere, in comes the invading Kennedy Army.

They make it perfectly clear that they're just going to take over the English Crown; they have no ambitions to actually change your government, and will leave your Parliament alone completely. Infact, as the new Royal Family, they promise that they will sell off significant portions of the Royal Treasure (Jewels and such) to benefit the English Public in general.

So, the question is:

What would you do if the Kennedys staged a Royal Coup?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »

I don't really think many Brits know who the Kennedys are.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »

While I believe that the current Royal Family should not be rightfully on the throne (due to dynastic issues that I won't go into here) I support them over the Kennedys, because as much as I like the Kennedys, the Royal Family tend to not be political.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »

I don't really think many Brits know who the Kennedys are.

Erm, yes they do.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 03:06:34 PM »

I doubt the Kennedys would try such an action a second time.  The Bay of Pigs invasion was a dry-run for an invasion of England, but it failed so badly that the assault on the Royals was scrapped.
Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »

I doubt the Kennedys would try such an action a second time.  The Bay of Pigs invasion was a dry-run for an invasion of England, but it failed so badly that the assault on the Royals was scrapped.
They've gotten better training techniques, and in the nearly 45 years since the Bay of Pigs, they've gotten much better at Island Invasion.

The addition of Arnold Schwarzenegger to the Family didn't hurt either.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »

Obviously I would die for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

I wish the Kennedys would stage a coup here!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 04:23:31 AM »

They've gotten better training techniques, and in the nearly 45 years since the Bay of Pigs, they've gotten much better at Island Invasion.

The addition of Arnold Schwarzenegger to the Family didn't hurt either.

LOL
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »

Defend the crown and be amused at the same time
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

Wonder if the punishment for this is hanging, decapitation, or being drawn & quartered. Root for the Windsors from the sidelines.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 09:05:34 AM »

While I believe that the current Royal Family should not be rightfully on the throne

Would that reason be the Act of Settlement (1701), which confered the succession on Sophia, Electress of Hanover and her descendents and barred those of James II from his second marriage?

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »

While I believe that the current Royal Family should not be rightfully on the throne

Would that reason be the Act of Settlement (1701), which confered the succession on Sophia, Electress of Hanover and her descendents and barred those of James II from his second marriage?

Dave
IIRC the descendants of James II' second marriage are extinct since 1804, but there's closer relatives (also Catholic) that were passed over. IIRC a theoretical claim now lies with the descendants of the last King of Bavaria, but they've never made one.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 09:34:33 AM »

Dave
IIRC the descendants of James II' second marriage are extinct since 1804, but there's closer relatives (also Catholic) that were passed over. IIRC a theoretical claim now lies with the descendants of the last King of Bavaria, but they've never made one.

I think the whole question of the British succession is mired in controversy. The Hanoverians - and thus the current Royal family, were claimants by virtue of being descended from Sophia of Hanover - a granddaughter of James I, who himself was the heir (as his mother was before him) to Elizabeth I, whose right is too dispuited , by virtue of being a great-great grandson of Henry VII

The Tudor claim to the English throne was tenacious at best. Henry VII being descendent from the from 'bastard branch of the House of Lancaster -the Beaufort's though they were later legitimised. His marriage to Elizabeth of York, of course, united the rival houses of the House of Plantagenet thus ending the Wars of the Roses. Even then Elizabeth's claim was tenacious given that she herself was illegitimate (if it is believed that her father, Edward IV's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville was biagmous). Furthermore, it is now believed by some that Edward IV was illegimtimate himself - the product of an extra-marital affair on the part of his mother, Cicely Neville

This, of course, means that the children of George, Duke of Clarence, were the true heirs. In effect, this would mean that the rightful monarch must be closest living descendent of his daughter, Margaret Countess of Salisbury - who retained her Catholicism during Henry VIII's Reformation. Perhaps, the Bavarian connection descends from her

Dave
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 09:36:38 AM »

Lets face it, William the Conqueror didn't have a proper claim to the throne.

FTR, I think there are descendants of Bonnie Prince Charlie remaining, but they long ago ceased claiming the throne.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 09:44:39 AM »

From the Wiki...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
this is what I was thinking of.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
This is what I now think Afleitch is referring to.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies