The "horrible decisions that may be overturned now" list
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:19:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The "horrible decisions that may be overturned now" list
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The "horrible decisions that may be overturned now" list  (Read 1667 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 10:05:33 PM »

clearly A18 has done some homework.  I tried to think of some, but I'm not sure you and I agree on what constitutes a "horrible" decision.  Here's an interesting SCOTUS blog I used to look at, but forgot about for a while till you started this thread.  This is from the reputable firm Goldstein & Howe of Washington DC: 

http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/

take a look in particular at some of the national security issues and detainee rights cases.  and although it doesn't answer your question, you might also be interested in the Ayotte ruling.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 11:36:23 PM »

you're getting way ahead of yourself.  and probably overlooking anthony kennedy's swing position.

Kennedy voted against the majority in all of those cases. O'Connor was the fifth vote in each of them.

And I didn't say how quickly they would be overturned. But if Roberts and Alito join Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy, it's only a matter of time.

I understand.  then yeah, I think you're right.  How about Brown v Board?

Well, it's complete speculation, but it is possible that Brown v. Board or Griswald v. Connecticut could be at risk with another wingnut. The far right hates Warren.

Actually Brown v. Board, Griswold v. Connecticut as well as Lawrence v. Texas aren't in any danger at all. In order for these to be challenged, some state would have to pass a law in violation of those decisions to be challenged so it can go to the court, and I don't see that happening.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 01:43:58 PM »

I forgot McCreary County v. ACLU, holding the Kentucky Ten Commandments display unconstitutional by a 5-4 vote, with O'Connor in the majority.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »

Grutter v. Bollinger -- upholding the affirmative action admissions policy of the University of Michigan Law School
Stenberg v. Carhart -- striking down Nebraska's partial-birth abortion ban
McConnell v. FEC -- upholding McCain-Feingold
Tennessee v. Lane -- holding that the Americans with Disabilities Act permissibly overrode state sovereign immunity

Anything else I'm missing?

Kelo v. New London
(but then again it is rather recent and likely won't be overturned for a long time)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 02:42:52 PM »

Kelo v. New London
(but then again it is rather recent and likely won't be overturned for a long time)

No. O'Connor dissented in that 5-4 decision. The five are still on the court.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies