Griffin to face re-trial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:45:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Griffin to face re-trial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Griffin to face re-trial  (Read 1561 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:35:29 PM »
« edited: February 02, 2006, 07:26:37 PM by Al the Sleepy Bear »

BNP duo to face race hate retrial

By the sound of it, it was one of "those" juries Roll Eyes
O/c this sort of offense is quite hard to prove (usually).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »

Your country sucks.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

It is certainly unfortunate that English law punishes the expression of one's opinions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:50:24 PM »

It is certainly unfortunate that English law punishes the expression of one's opinions.

It doesn't (well other than the stupid and unenforced blasphamy laws) unless you're talking in absolute terms.
The various incitement to '' '' hatred laws prohibit attempts to whip up riots and so on; the first ones were introduced in 1965 at a time when racial tensions in the West Midlands were literally heading towards tinderbox levels.
Incitement to '' '' convictions are very hard to get, btw.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:58:24 PM »

I much prefer it if the country gets to hear the cr*p Griffin and the BNP say to be honest. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:01:35 PM »

I much prefer it if the country gets to hear the cr*p Griffin and the BNP say to be honest. Smiley

That's just reminded me of their election advert... the one that inadvertantly gave out the impression that the BNP is the party for drunks! Grin
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »

Agreed.

Some guys talking in a pub get arrested, acquitted, and then slapped with double-jeopardy over their conversation.

Fascists.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 11:00:26 PM »

Agreed.

Some guys talking in a pub get arrested, acquitted, and then slapped with double-jeopardy over their conversation.

Fascists.

Whereas making vast, sweeping generalisations about other countries after wildly jumping to conclusions (which are not necessarily based on reality either) is the epitome of all things tolerant. Roll Eyes
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 11:00:36 PM »

Deleted your BS post I see. Read the article beforehand.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:01:33 PM »

Deleted your BS post I see. Read the article beforehand.

I did. I know the whole story. I saw the documentary and the footage of Collett and Griffin that sparked this whole saga. Here's what I mean about jumping to conclusions. And my BS post was the result of you and Q insulting my country.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »

Oh, hey, I'm sorry if I offended you.  I'm not really serious about your country being so bad; this instance seems unjust to me, and my comments about the country as a whole were mostly hyperbole.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 11:23:49 PM »

That's cool, I guess I overreacted myself. Heck, it's night shift, I'm tired and a bit oversensitive as a result. <twitch>. Anyway, yeah, sorry if I blew my top.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 02:28:23 AM »

Not a problem. Smiley
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 04:20:33 AM »

Well, it is a wicked and vicious faith, thats an area where the BNP, Billy Graham's son and I actually agree on something. Islam means nothing but trouble for Europe. I'm sorry you guys can't have nice Catholic Hispanic immigrants like we have around here Smiley

That picture was funny, the guy's like thrilled to be on trial.

I read the BNP platform before the May election. Its a good thing they aren't too popular, but I don't disagree with them on everything.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 05:23:38 AM »

The problem in Britain is oversensitivity. I hate the BNP but the very moment one of them says something deemed inflamitory in public they are promptly arrested. Yet Islamic prechers have publicly said far far worse things, and incited violence towards British citizens but the police need to prompted into action before they do anything about them.

While this is an over generalisation, you can see why some people accuse the authorities of double standards on the issue.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »

Who's said stuff so much worse than "immigrants are cockroaches"? (Country's insults vary, but that's probably one of the worst things you could call somebody - let alone a whole group of people - in Germany. Cockroaches are pretty disgusting. Of course, in India I learned not to mind them.) Name names, don't make bland allegations.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 07:53:43 AM »

...except that that isn't what actually happend... at all... Griffin and his cronies were not just "some guys talking in a pub", they were (as far as the prosecution and myself are concerned) political activists trying to whip up racial tensions (in an area ripped apart by race riots a few years ago, largely caused by people like them), something which has been illegal over here since 1965 (when, as pointed out earlier, another area had racial tensions almost literally at tinderbox levels). It's not the *opinions* that are illegal, or even that they expressed the, but the fact that they were trying to *incite* racial hatred.
And they were *not* acquitted and slapped with double jeopardy at all; they were only acquitted on half the charges. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the other charges, and as is usually the case they will face a retrial on the charges that they were not acquitted of.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »

Ah, what a fabulous justice system. You can be tried multiple times for the same "crime" until convicted.

Lovely, really, just like the waste of a country in which it resides.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 01:13:08 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2006, 09:27:17 AM by Co-Senator Hawk »

The problem in Britain is oversensitivity. I hate the BNP but the very moment one of them says something deemed inflamitory in public they are promptly arrested. Yet Islamic prechers have publicly said far far worse things, and incited violence towards British citizens but the police need to prompted into action before they do anything about them.

The British fascists and the Islamo-fascists are two sides of the same coin. Both heinous in my opinion. The thing is where to we get the balance right between protecting free speech while forbidding incitement to hatred (be it of a racial or religious nature)

You make a good point. Both should be treated equally by the law and with the full ferocity of the law. The Griffins and the Hamzas of this world can burn in hell for me

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »

Ah, what a fabulous justice system. You can be tried multiple times for the same "crime" until convicted.

Lovely, really, just like the waste of a country in which it resides.

Well, it's sure beats allowing them to get off scott free

Murderers in the past have escaped justice thanks to the so-called "double-jeopardy". When new evidence comes to light that may put the original verdict into doubt, then they should be grounds for a second trial

Scumbags like Griffin have no place in civil society because they have no respect for it and the same goes for the incitement to hate rhetoric of Islamic extremists

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »

Thankfully, the vast majority of people aren't sucked in by it all but a few are and if they break the boundaries of civil society, then they must take the consequences. There's enough hate Sad as it is without more being whipped-up

Dave

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 02:00:18 PM »

The retrial has absolutely nothing to do with double jeopardy; Griffin and Collet will face retrials for the offenses that they were not acquitted on.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roll Eyes

Charming fella aren't you?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies