Bush administration supports Muslims in the whining over those cartoons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:41:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bush administration supports Muslims in the whining over those cartoons
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bush administration supports Muslims in the whining over those cartoons  (Read 4922 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »

Yeah, I just thought they had relevance in this thread as well.

Again, I could find pictures of members of nearly any group saying or doing terrible things to or against another group that they do not like.

That doesn't prove anything beyond that some Muslims in the area are total nutjobs, which is something you'll find in any group.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 08:31:34 PM »

A question for BRTD:

If such mild support of Muslims from Bush causes you to become apoplectic, why don't you get upset at the consistently pro-Muslim/anti-Jew positions of the Left in Europe.
YoMartin
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »

It´s not the government´s job to define the (un)acceptability of what is published in the press, especially in a foreign country (by the way, by siding with the protestors the US is doing exactly what these and other demonstrators usually complaint about: the intrusion of the US on other countries´matters; I´ve never seen the danish government commenting on something published in the NY Times...).

It is also not the newspaper´s job to be "responsible" while printing whatever they want to. If someone finds certain news offensive, they can simply choose not to buy that particular paper. Why would someone be offended by the fact that OTHER people read something? You can choose not to read something; but you can`t decide that others shouldn´t read it too (I could understand banning expressions calling for the murder of others, but this is not the case).

I don´t think this is over-reaction. In the form of a stupid cartoon this is actually a major issue in the years to come. The relations between postmodern and medieval societies won´t be easy...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 08:35:43 PM »

A question for BRTD:

If such mild support of Muslims from Bush causes you to become apoplectic, why don't you get upset at the consistently pro-Muslim/anti-Jew positions of the Left in Europe.

Such as?

And no, I don't give a damn about that dumbass Galloway.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 08:58:27 PM »

A question for BRTD:

Such as?

Let's see...there's every editorial published in a Left-wing Italian newspaper concerning the issue of Palestine, for starters...

It's not just Galloway.  Many Leftists pols in Europe have built careers by pandering to immigrants (i.e. Muslims).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2006, 09:20:27 PM by Left of the Dial »

A question for BRTD:

Such as?

Let's see...there's every editorial published in a Left-wing Italian newspaper concerning the issue of Palestine, for starters...

That's not an Islamic issue. After all I am also pro-Palestine. A good portion of Palestineans are Christian, and they do not support the Israeli occupation either. Furthermore the introduction of Islamic fundamentalism didn't come up until the late 80s/early 90s, when Hamas started to gain prominence, prior to that most of the Palestinean terror groups were decidedly secular (Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine? They sure as hell weren't Islamists. Not that I support them), this is actually underscored by the Fatah/Hamas conflict now, with Fatah being the secular faction. But Sweden dropped all funding of the Palestinean Authority after the Hamas victory, which I would've done as well. It's consistent.

For the record my ideal Palestinean government would be Christian-minority secular rule (as unlikely as that is). That's also what I support for Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt.

It's not just Galloway.  Many Leftists pols in Europe have built careers by pandering to immigrants (i.e. Muslims).

I think this has more to do with the "immigrant" than "Muslim" part. The same thing happens in the US. But how many European leftist parties have, like Galloway, dropped a gay rights plank in their platform to the please Muslims?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 01:11:13 PM »

Let's look at the folks Bush is siding with:

Where you did find those pictures?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 01:30:37 PM »

Posted on DU. Originally from Yahoo news.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

There were more police and photographers at that protest that protesters
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 06:08:52 PM »

There were more police and photographers at that protest that protesters

Come now, don't assail them with trivial things such as logic or perspective.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 06:21:18 PM »

Supposedly Saudi Arabia started this whining to distract people from the mass pilgramage deaths.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »

Supposedly Saudi Arabia started this whining to distract people from the mass pilgramage deaths.

Danish imams also 'toured' the MiddleEast showing these cartoons and even more grotesque photo-manipulations that did not appear in said newspaper and the Danish police believe that the imams faked these extra images themselves.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »

You are close, but I don't think the Saudis are all that concerned with bad hajj publicity.  It just doesn't matter much.  I think the Syrians are being the most vocal in order to distract from the assassination issue.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 11:45:27 PM »

In my opinion I view that President Bush endorsing these cartoons and applauding them would simply be the equivelant of his father dancing on the Berlin Wall in 1989. At the time it would seem great and gratifying, but in the future there would eb greater troubles. The President needs moderate Islam as much as Bush I needed Gorbachev. No point in insulting the moderates by endorsing these cartoons.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 11:38:43 AM »

In my opinion I view that President Bush endorsing these cartoons and applauding them would simply be the equivelant of his father dancing on the Berlin Wall in 1989. At the time it would seem great and gratifying, but in the future there would eb greater troubles. The President needs moderate Islam as much as Bush I needed Gorbachev. No point in insulting the moderates by endorsing these cartoons.

What good are the moderates if they aren't doing anything at all to change the situation?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies