Feingold blogging at DKos. "President is living in a pre-1776 world"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Feingold blogging at DKos. "President is living in a pre-1776 world"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Vote
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Feingold blogging at DKos. "President is living in a pre-1776 world"  (Read 1745 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 04:50:11 AM »

Though I may not agree with everything Feingold says, I do like his turning Bush's use of the term "pre-September 11th, 2001 world" on its head.  I've always found this term kind of strange.  Nothing changed on 9/11; it's just that America's point of focus was shifted.  It's not as if, on 9/11, al-Qaeda suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

But you've just pointed out why Bush is right to talk about the pre-9/11 mindset.  And it is a mindset, and when Bush says it he is referring to a mindset.

Its in no way unfair or inaccurate to suggest the following:

If you think terrorism is a serious threat, and wnat to confront it with force, your worldview is shaped by 9/11.  If you don't think terrorism is a particularly dangerous threat and that we had ought to go about things as we alwaays have before, you don't not have a worldview shaped by 9/11.

Feingold's worldview, then, is not shaped by 9/11, and it can be said that, mentally, he is in a world that is "pre-9/11", or a worldview that persists as if 9/11 had never happenned.  Bush on the other hand has a worldview that is obviously driven by 9/11.

Voters can decide for themselves which mindset they prefer, but I don't think its in any way unfair or inaccurate to suggest that the two worldviews are fundamentally different.

Bush's ignoring of memos titled "Bin Laden destermined to strike in US" puts him in a pre-August 6th, 2001 mindset.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 09:31:34 AM »

Though I may not agree with everything Feingold says, I do like his turning Bush's use of the term "pre-September 11th, 2001 world" on its head.  I've always found this term kind of strange.  Nothing changed on 9/11; it's just that America's point of focus was shifted.  It's not as if, on 9/11, al-Qaeda suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

But you've just pointed out why Bush is right to talk about the pre-9/11 mindset.  And it is a mindset, and when Bush says it he is referring to a mindset.

Its in no way unfair or inaccurate to suggest the following:

If you think terrorism is a serious threat, and wnat to confront it with force, your worldview is shaped by 9/11.  If you don't think terrorism is a particularly dangerous threat and that we had ought to go about things as we alwaays have before, you don't not have a worldview shaped by 9/11.

Feingold's worldview, then, is not shaped by 9/11, and it can be said that, mentally, he is in a world that is "pre-9/11", or a worldview that persists as if 9/11 had never happenned.  Bush on the other hand has a worldview that is obviously driven by 9/11.

Voters can decide for themselves which mindset they prefer, but I don't think its in any way unfair or inaccurate to suggest that the two worldviews are fundamentally different.

Bush's ignoring of memos titled "Bin Laden destermined to strike in US" puts him in a pre-August 6th, 2001 mindset.

Well, Bin Laden did attack America in 1993, and attached American facilities in 1998 and 2000.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies