Syrians torch Danish and Norwegian embassies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:35:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Syrians torch Danish and Norwegian embassies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Syrians torch Danish and Norwegian embassies  (Read 5637 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 05:43:56 PM »

That's funny, that's the second time in two days that somebody has accidentally left out the "radical" part when they criticize Islam.  Ironically, it has the unintentional consequence of making you look like a bigoted moron, so I'm guessing it was just a typo.

Because its one and the same.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »

No, it's really, really not.  They are about the same as the Pope and Fred Phelps.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 05:52:40 PM »

Why aren't the bobbies beating the skulls of these terrorists in?

Because the group in question is just a bunch of fringe loonies hated by pretty much all other Muslims (even the extremist MPAC condemmend the protesters!). And because there's a right to protest peacefully here, o/c.

There is a right to protest, but such banners clearly incited murder, which is an offense in the UK. Secondly the police did make two arrests....two counter protestors who had in their posession copies of the cartoons were arrested (yet those dressed as suicide bombers were not)

Two words: double standards.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 05:53:56 PM »

No, it's really, really not.  They are about the same as the Pope and Fred Phelps.

Oh yes, I forgot. I remember now all the Muslim leaders who have condemned the actions of past terrorist cells....oh wait....that has yet to happen.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2006, 06:20:55 PM »

There is a right to protest, but such banners clearly incited murder, which is an offense in the UK.

Well yes, that's true. But Jeff suggested beating their skulls in... besides to have actually done anything at the time of the protest (especially anything like *that*) might, just might, have resulted in normal Muslims feeling perhaps a little bit symphathetic to the lunatics who went-a-protesting. And as nowt happend, they don't. I wouldn't be at all suprised if some end up getting arrested *now* (after all the group in question is likely to get banned soon) o/c.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »

besides to have actually done anything at the time of the protest (especially anything like *that*) might, just might, have resulted in normal Muslims feeling perhaps a little bit symphathetic to the lunatics who went-a-protesting.

'besides to have actually done anything at the time of the BNP protest (especially anything like *that*) might, just might, have resulted in normal whie people feeling perhaps a little bit symphathetic to the lunatics who went-a-protesting.'

Think about that. Not arresting Muslims in order not to upset other Muslims is NOT an excuse.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »

'besides to have actually done anything at the time of the BNP protest (especially anything like *that*) might, just might, have resulted in normal whie people feeling perhaps a little bit symphathetic to the lunatics who went-a-protesting.'

They hardly ever arrest people at BNP marches. And it's for the same reason. Even today most of the ****ers responsible for the Oldham-Bradford-Burnley riots haven't been punished (and it isn't *just* because there was no law against incitement-to-religious-hatred at the time either, although that's a factor) and what went on then was far more serious than a couple of loonies waiving nasty placards (and yes, I think something should be done about that).
When BNP types do get arrested it's almost always after the event; and for the same reason (example; there's an investigation into the false claims of "asylum-seekers-gang-raping-white-girls" in Derbyshire).
It's not right or wrong, it's politics; any decision about how to police that sort of thing is politics.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well no, no it isn't. But waiting a while before considering what to do about it, in an attempt to stop an already surreally unpleasant situtation (not in the U.K, but generally) from getting worse. Interestingly even the MPAC loonies condemmend the Hizb-ut-Bannedsoon march...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »

Oh yes, I forgot. I remember now all the Muslim leaders who have condemned the actions of past terrorist cells....oh wait....that has yet to happen.

What rock have you been hiding under?  Take a look at this, just for starters.  It has references to condemnations by 22 Muslim leaders; 30 Muslim scholars; and 93 ordinary Muslim citizens.  And that's just the people that this one website has picked up on.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »

Interesting: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4684250.stm
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 08:05:13 PM »

What rock have you been hiding under?  Take a look at this, just for starters.  It has references to condemnations by 22 Muslim leaders; 30 Muslim scholars; and 93 ordinary Muslim citizens.  And that's just the people that this one website has picked up on.

Well I have yet to see any major condemnations through broadcast and newspapers. A few websites is really nice and all but its rather ineffective when the majority of people get their news through the TV or paper. If a Christian group was to commit atrocities on the level this muslim "religion" has done the Pope himself would be on TV condemning the action to a worldwide audience.

Islam is a religion that was founded in blood and built on conquest. I still don't understand how you haven't figured that out. And no Christianity is *not* the same.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »

The Danish consulate in Beirut was burned today. Lebanese politicians has condemmed the actions and Danish citizens are now leaving the country

Here is the crossroads. Do the Danish stand down or stand up to Islam? I'm hoping for the later.
And what do you suggest. Sending in the cavalery?! And please stop generalising about Islam. One of the problems with this situation is that extremists on both sides have an interest in promoting a "clash of civilizations" where their extreme interpetation of the world is only right one. This should never have been anything but a complain from Danish muslims over a newspaper that has notoriasly been trying to miscredit muslims - but extremists like you conquered the agenda and made it into a major situation.

I'm sick and tirred of all extremists!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 08:39:59 PM »

Well I have yet to see any major condemnations through broadcast and newspapers.

Would you have noticed if they had?  Have you been actively looking for it, or awaiting it?  Chances are it's already happened many times.

Also, many moderate Muslims have complained that the US media is only exacerbating things by giving the extremists all the attention.  As I've been trying to say all along, it's the whacko minority that always shouts the loudest, and thus gets all the attention.  It's exactly the same in any society.

And who is the Muslim equivalent of the Pope, exactly?  Also, the Pope only represents one section of Christianity, which contains a moderate-extreme axis within it too.  It's the same with Islam, except that none of the sects have a leader on the same scale as the Pope.

Hopefully the irony of your first and last sentences when put together is not lost on anybody else.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 08:52:32 AM »

Why aren't the bobbies beating the skulls of these terrorists in?

Because the group in question is just a bunch of fringe loonies hated by pretty much all other Muslims (even the extremist MPAC condemmend the protesters!). And because there's a right to protest peacefully here, o/c.

There is a right to protest, but such banners clearly incited murder, which is an offense in the UK. Secondly the police did make two arrests....two counter protestors who had in their posession copies of the cartoons were arrested (yet those dressed as suicide bombers were not)

Two words: double standards.

I agree with Davis but the Conservatives have double-standards too. They call for "zero tolerance" here, which is only right and proper yet they opposed the 90-days detention of terror suspects. I see those who are effectively inciting murder in these demonstrations as being potential terror suspects and they should be arrested, detained and investigated. The hate these children are evidently being indoctrinated with does not bode well for the future

The glorification of terrorism too should be a criminal offense. I hope Labour and the Conservatives can agree on this

Dave
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

The Danish consulate in Beirut was burned today. Lebanese politicians has condemmed the actions and Danish citizens are now leaving the country

Here is the crossroads. Do the Danish stand down or stand up to Islam? I'm hoping for the later.
And what do you suggest. Sending in the cavalery?! And please stop generalising about Islam. One of the problems with this situation is that extremists on both sides have an interest in promoting a "clash of civilizations" where their extreme interpetation of the world is only right one. This should never have been anything but a complain from Danish muslims over a newspaper that has notoriasly been trying to miscredit muslims - but extremists like you conquered the agenda and made it into a major situation.

If your people think that the muslims won't take any retalitory action over this then you are fooling yourself. The newly elected leader of the Palestinians has called for the death of the artist of these cartoons and Al Qaeda has pledged to help attack western countries in retaliation. But don't worry the "moderate" Muslims will stop any such thing. Just like they stopped 9/11, USS Cole, and on and on.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »

If your people think that the muslims won't take any retalitory action over this then you are fooling yourself. The newly elected leader of the Palestinians has called for the death of the artist of these cartoons and Al Qaeda has pledged to help attack western countries in retaliation. But don't worry the "moderate" Muslims will stop any such thing. Just like they stopped 9/11, USS Cole, and on and on.
Here you go again with your extremist aditudes. If extremists both Islamists and anti-muslims hadn't started and escalated this rather silly situation the vast majority would ignore these drawnings as they should have been.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »

Here you go again with your extremist aditudes. If extremists both Islamists and anti-muslims hadn't started and escalated this rather silly situation the vast majority would ignore these drawnings as they should have been.

It wasn't the freedom lovers who started torching embassies, threatening terrorist attacks on western leaders. It wasn't a freedom loving anti Islamist leader of the West Bank/Gaza who called for the death of a cartoonist. It wasn't an anti Islamist nation that cut trade with Denmark (Iran). It wasn't anti Islamists who torched several embassies, threw rocks at Christians, burned Christian churches....and on and on.

Who was overreacting? Freedom loving anti Islamists or violent Muslims?

But I'm sure you and your citizenry will roll over like dogs for the muslims just like you people rolled over like dogs for the Nazis.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 12:29:11 PM »

But I'm sure you and your citizenry will roll over like dogs for the muslims just like you people rolled over like dogs for the Nazis.

They didn't role over. Germany was militarily superior, but the Danes under their king put up a good struggle throughout the war.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »

They didn't role over. Germany was militarily superior, but the Danes under their king put up a good struggle throughout the war.

Ok, that was mean spirited I admit. But my point is that actions speak louder then words. Its nice and all that the "moderates" want to condemn the actions of the rioters but its really ineffective.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

It wasn't the freedom lovers who started torching embassies, threatening terrorist attacks on western leaders. It wasn't a freedom loving anti Islamist leader of the West Bank/Gaza who called for the death of a cartoonist. It wasn't an anti Islamist nation that cut trade with Denmark (Iran). It wasn't anti Islamists who torched several embassies, threw rocks at Christians, burned Christian churches....and on and on.

Who was overreacting? Freedom loving anti Islamists or violent Muslims?

The drawnings is a part of an ongoing attempt to decribe all muslims as fanatic suicide bombers who beat and suppress their wifes and eat babies, supported by the major right wing party Danish People's Party and parts of tghe government and establisment. They where then used by extreme imans to promote their own agenda while Jyllandsposten and our prime minister in a quite condecending way said that muslims had to understand that freedom of speach was way more important than the muslims rather justified complaint over Jyllandspostens attempt to decribe the general muslim as a suicide bomber

The remarks about 9th of april 1940 only goes to show your lack of historical knowledge and love for violence. There is nothing heroic about sacrificing thousand of lifes for a lost cause.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »

If a Christian group was to commit atrocities on the level this muslim "religion" has done the Pope himself would be on TV condemning the action to a worldwide audience.

And who is the Muslim equivalent of the Pope, exactly?  Also, the Pope only represents one section of Christianity, which contains a moderate-extreme axis within it too.  It's the same with Islam, except that none of the sects have a leader on the same scale as the Pope.

I think Islam needs a central leader. You have the Dahli Lama and you have the Pope. If Islam had one leader, this might get the radical terrorists under control. On the other hand, the non-crazy Muslims might all turn crazy.
---

If someone made a cartoon making fun of Jesus, would Christians be starting violent riots (that resulted in four deaths so far)? I would be angry, but I would not go around killing people or holding signs threatening people. And if I were going to cause trouble, I would go to the main building of said media company, not the embassy of that country. I still couldn't take a guess on what percentage of Muslims are crazy terrorist sympathizers, but it's got to be higher than I originially thought.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »

Interestingly the only Muslims that think that are the sort of loonies that have been having fun in recent days.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »

Now apparentely they've ransacked a Christian neighborhood in Lebanon and burned down a church. Looks like they declared war on the religion as a whole, not just the source of the cartoons. Now mobs of Christian youths are grabbing iron bars and other makeshift weapons and are saying they'll defend their neighborhoods. Good for them!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:56 AM »

Now apparentely they've ransacked a Christian neighborhood in Lebanon and burned down a church. Looks like they declared war on the religion as a whole, not just the source of the cartoons. Now mobs of Christian youths are grabbing iron bars and other makeshift weapons and are saying they'll defend their neighborhoods. Good for them!

In all honesty it's what these rioters want. But they fail to grasp how the West works, and how independent we are of religious bodies. A Saudi minister a few days ago called on the Pope to step in and ban the cartoon, failing to realise that he has no authority of that kind.

And considering that Christian and Muslim Lebanese are technically racially similar, it seems that in this case religion and not 'the west' is their motive.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »

Well Dutch Islamists just published a cartoon showing Anne Frank and Hitler in bed together:

OK guys, I think we can call it even now. Now watch as Jewish groups worldswide riot and burn down embassies. Or not.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2006, 09:05:07 PM »

Come on, the Holocaust is such a broad topic, at least they could make the comic funny.  There's plenty of material.

The same goes for the cartoons on Islam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies