Why is this dumbsh**t President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is this dumbsh**t President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why is this dumbsh**t President?  (Read 4115 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »

I often wonder if Republicans really believe Bush is the best their party has to offer.  And I don't mean "the most electable".  I mean "the guy who would do the best job as President".
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »

I wouldn't have voted for Joe Republic.

Oh, we are talking about Bush.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »

I often wonder if Republicans really believe Bush is the best their party has to offer.  And I don't mean "the most electable".  I mean "the guy who would do the best job as President".

Good. Republicans wondered the same about Clinton and Carter.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »

Good. Republicans wondered the same about Clinton and Carter.

Well, let's be honest and fair here.  Carter?  Definitely not.  I can think of several others I would have preferred.  You may have disagreed with Clinton and even disliked him as a person, but there was no mistaking that he was an intelligent man.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 05:48:14 PM »

He was certainly not the best Democrats had to offer c.1992; Bentsen?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »

You must be joking.  Bentsen was practically a Republican.  Very right wing and not at all liked by most real Democrats.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »

Bentsen certainly would have been a better candidate than Dukakis or Mondale?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »

Bentsen was like a Zell Miller or a Ben Nelson sort of Democrat - barely a Democrat at all.  There is no way he could've won a primary.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »

Bentsen was like a Zell Miller or a Ben Nelson sort of Democrat

That's exactly the kind of Democrat I am, and there are more of us than you think.  Hardly a Democrat at all?  Without us, the party would be run by the crazy leftists like...oh wait.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 08:56:41 PM »

Bentsen would have been good.  But Clinton was certainly good.  A smart guy, a moderate, just can't keep it in his pants.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »

That's exactly the kind of Democrat I am, and there are more of us than you think.  Hardly a Democrat at all?  Without us, the party would be run by the crazy leftists like...oh wait.

I guess we on the progressive wing of the party just wonder why you guys don't work to moderate the Republican party...  I mean don't get me wrong I appreciate that your votes will put some of the most progressive Democrats in the country at the head of very important committees.  Heck I'll even deal with a DLC/Republican-lite POTUS even though I don't believe it is the best electoral strategy.  But myself and probably many others sometimes think that  it would be better for the country to have you moderating the Republican party because from our view you are no different than Lincoln Chafee, Olympia Snowe, John McCain, Susan Collins, Lindsey Grahm, or Chuck Hagel.  More often than not you're wrong but we still think you have the best interest of the country at heart.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

I smell bitter losers, you guys simply must niminate a moderate from your party HOWARD DEAN!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 11:32:16 PM »

Zell Miller "Democrats" need to leave the party immediately. The Democratic party may be the big tent party, but rabid vampires who support Bush and have a 96 rating from the ACU need to get lost.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »

Zell Miller "Democrats" need to leave the party immediately. The Democratic party may be the big tent party, but rabid vampires who support Bush and have a 96 rating from the ACU need to get lost.

And so begins the demise of the Democratic party.  Hopefully the Constitution Party fills the void left by the dying husk of the Liberal Elite.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006, 02:39:14 AM »

Yeah?  Well, we Democrats would still be in power if not for left-wing hippy nuts like you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2006, 03:02:03 AM by jfern »

Yeah?  Well, we Democrats would still be in power if not for left-wing hippy nuts like you.

"Left wing-wing nuts"? The nuts are the ones that supported Bush invading a country for no good reason. Yeah, right-wing Democrats are so good at winning. Let's look at the 2004 Senate races. That guy Carson with the 50 ACU rating landslided in Oklahoma. That Chris John guy kicked some serious ass in Louisiana. Meanwhile some black guy from Chicago with a name similar to that of a well known terrorist who told the DLC to take his name off of their list went down in flames in that Senate race. Some extremistguy who doesn't seem to like Bush's nominees suffered a landslide defeat in New York. Yeah, we should bend over so that the Carsons and Johns of the world can destroy the Republicans with their incredible electoral success.

Hint: if the voters want a right-winger who licks Bush's ass, they'll vote Republican, not Republican-lite.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 03:29:46 AM »

That guy Carson with the 50 ACU rating landslided in Oklahoma.

Er, are you saying that a liberal Democrat would have done better?

I'm not entirely sure why you're not mentioning Brad Henry, a conservative Democratic Oklahoman who got elected to office and who currently enjoys both approval ratings of over 60% and a lead of +17 over his likely Republican opponent in 2006.

Should we boot out Henry and bring in a liberal Democrat?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 04:21:47 AM »

I'm not entirely sure why you're not mentioning Brad Henry, a conservative Democratic Oklahoman who got elected to office and who currently enjoys both approval ratings of over 60% and a lead of +17 over his likely Republican opponent in 2006.

Governors/mayors are less polarizing. NYC is in its 4th term of a Republican mayor, but so what?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »

Governors/mayors are less polarizing. NYC is in its 4th term of a Republican mayor, but so what?

Maybe it means people are not interested in having Liberal Elites like yourself being their elected leaders.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »

Why on earth would having a second Religious Party in power be at all appealing to we liberals, Virginian?  I'd just as soon stick with the original rather than sacrifice our party to the same nonsense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2006, 02:17:19 PM »

Maybe it means people are not interested in having Liberal Elites like yourself being their elected leaders.

What is a "liberal elite"? If you hadn't noticed, Bloomberg is both rather rich, and also rather liberal for being a Republican.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »

You were giving examples of conservative Democrats who lost (in Republican states) and comparing them to liberal Democrats who won (in Democratic states), as if to say that liberal Democrats are better at winning elections than conservative Democrats in general.  I'm saying that this is a rather unscientific analysis, given that you're not even attempting to take into consideration the differences between Oklahoma and New York.  A better comparison would be to take Carson and pit him against a liberal Democrat in Oklahoma and see who wins.

It should also be noted that Carson did 7 points better than Kerry in Oklahoma and actually managed to win more than zero counties.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »

You were giving examples of conservative Democrats who lost (in Republican states) and comparing them to liberal Democrats who won (in Democratic states), as if to say that liberal Democrats are better at winning elections than conservative Democrats in general.  I'm saying that this is a rather unscientific analysis, given that you're not even attempting to take into consideration the differences between Oklahoma and New York.  A better comparison would be to take Carson and pit him against a liberal Democrat in Oklahoma and see who wins.

It should also be noted that Carson did 7 points better than Kerry in Oklahoma and actually managed to win more than zero counties.

Add to that Carson simply ran a bad campaign.

If Carson had run a good campaign, he should have lost by no more than 5 points.  I simply think the numbers were against him in the long run, however, and I think winning the race in 2004, specifically, would have been close to impossible.

If jfern wants to nominate a liberal Democrat in Ok, expect to receive under 35% consistently.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »

In answer to your original question, I don't know. I don't quite get it with George W. Still, look on the bright side, you have have to suffer him for just under another three years. That's the beauty of the 22nd Amendment Wink

Hopefully, the next President - whether Democrat or Republican - will be of a higher calibre

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »

In answer to your original question, I don't know. I don't quite get it with George W. Still, look on the bright side, you have have to suffer him for just under another three years. That's the beauty of the 22nd Amendment Wink

Hopefully, the next President - whether Democrat or Republican - will be of a higher calibre

Dave

That's pretty easy, although George Allen gives George Bush some competition there. How about a much higher caliber?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies