Has anyone else gained respect for Anders Fogh Rasmussen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Has anyone else gained respect for Anders Fogh Rasmussen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone else gained respect for Anders Fogh Rasmussen?  (Read 1127 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:47:07 PM »

I used to hate the guy. He was a neoliberal who largely sided with Bush and relied on the far right. But I have to give him credit for standing firm here and making no concessions to his country's freedom of the press unlike Bush who cowardly caved. He's being the strongest leader of out of anyone in this, unlike Bush who surrendered, other European leaders who are being weak, and the leaders of the Muslim countries (yoohoo, you listening Syria?) who aren't doing crap to reign in the mobs.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:25:43 AM »

I liked him before this whole thing happened. But he is a politician and he, like every other, has his own motives.

He's a good guy, but he's no Pim Fortuyn Smiley
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:39:51 AM »

I liked him before this whole thing happened. But he is a politician and he, like every other, has his own motives.

He's a good guy, but he's no Pim Fortuyn Smiley

Why thank you Smiley

I really ought to change my name to avoid confusion.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »

For other reasons, too. Angry

No. Of course I haven't. The insensitive prick can thank those insensitive pricks in Syria and the Libanon, by the way; they may actually have saved his job. When I heard "stormed the embassy", I knew all hope of something positive coming out of this was lost...(and I'm not referring to a change of government)

(Oh, PS - over 20 of the demonstrators were hospitalized due to police violence, and you're telling me the government didn't do enough? What do you want? A bloodbath? Just fuck off, will you?)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:17:14 PM »

(Oh, PS - over 20 of the demonstrators were hospitalized due to police violence, and you're telling me the government didn't do enough? What do you want? A bloodbath? Just fuck off, will you?)

Hmmm, wasn't aware of that. The point I heard a bunch on DU though was that Syria is ran a lot like Iraq under Saddam, Assad's secret police are everywhere, and such riots can't really happen without the tacit support of the government. Think the anti-Japan riots in China a few months back. I think though we need to make a distinction between those engaged in simply demonstrating, and those actually involved in violence, it obviously isn't right if they were simply holding a peaceful protest and were assaulted by the police, but when engaged in riots on this level, only 20 injuries seems like a best case scenario. Even the relatively minor riot my city had 2 years ago had about a dozen injuries, and that didn't involve any buildings being torched.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »

To be fair I forget whether that was the figure from Syria or Lebanon.

These demos were mostly organized by SMS, though, which the government spies can't very well control. They knew the demo was going to happen - and that's why quite a lot of police etc was there, although it's quite likely that there also was a decision to let some sort of demo in front of the embassy happen - but they were shocked and surprised at the sheer numbers of people to turn up.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »

Actually I have even less respect for the man these days. His refusal to meet and talk to 11 ambassadeurs from the Arab countries back in october was a great blunder, and I find it wery hard to believe the man when he now says that he dislike these cartoons. If he really didn't like those cartoons, he could have met with the ambassadeurs back  then and told them that but also informed them that he could under no curcumstanses limit the freedom of the Danish press.

It all goes to show the anti-muslim retorics of this government and it is sad that a man who 15 years ago published a book about creating a liberalist minimal state today is a nasty combination between a xenophobic nationalist and a interventionistic conservative.
Denmark used to be quite decentralised but in these years an enormous amount of power are moved from the municipals and counties to the state. Fx the universities have lost direct control over between 25 and 40 % of their budget. They now have to aply for the money at the ministry
TB
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »

Actually I have even less respect for the man these days. His refusal to meet and talk to 11 ambassadeurs from the Arab countries back in october was a great blunder, and I find it wery hard to believe the man when he now says that he dislike these cartoons. If he really didn't like those cartoons, he could have met with the ambassadeurs back  then and told them that but also informed them that he could under no curcumstanses limit the freedom of the Danish press.

It all goes to show the anti-muslim retorics of this government and it is sad that a man who 15 years ago published a book about creating a liberalist minimal state today is a nasty combination between a xenophobic nationalist and a interventionistic conservative.
Denmark used to be quite decentralised but in these years an enormous amount of power are moved from the municipals and counties to the state. Fx the universities have lost direct control over between 25 and 40 % of their budget. They now have to aply for the money at the ministry
Hmm... now it's getting a little scary. Stop saying what I want to say:)
I agree with you once again!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies