Demographics and Democratic gains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:24:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Demographics and Democratic gains
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographics and Democratic gains  (Read 834 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »

Just to make a few things clear...

1. I'm assuming that the current leaders in the uncalled districts will win.
2. I'm using figures from the 2000 census; a bit out of date I guess, but the patterns are more important for this than the actual numbers themselves.
3. I'm going to add more figures every now and again for a while. Some stuff to do with income will be up next.

---
Of the 29 districts the Democrats gained...

17 have above average employment in manufacturing (with 5 having rates of manufacturing employment significantly below average).

15 have below average levels of managerial/professional occupations (with 4 having rates of these occupations significantly above average).

In 13 districts, under 25% of the population had a bachelor's degree or higher (with three districts having over 33% of the population '' '').
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 10:40:15 AM »

Just to make a few things clear...

1. I'm assuming that the current leaders in the uncalled districts will win.
2. I'm using figures from the 2000 census; a bit out of date I guess, but the patterns are more important for this than the actual numbers themselves.
3. I'm going to add more figures every now and again for a while. Some stuff to do with income will be up next.

---
Of the 29 districts the Democrats gained...

17 have above average employment in manufacturing (with 5 having rates of manufacturing employment significantly below average).

15 have below average levels of managerial/professional occupations (with 4 having rates of these occupations significantly above average).

In 13 districts, under 25% of the population had a bachelor's degree or higher (with three districts having over 33% of the population '' '').

Interesting. So it would seem the Democratic gains were largely attributed to blue collar workers. Always good to see.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:46:26 AM »

There are a number of demographic trends favoring Democrats right now, among them:

1) gains in the Hispanic vote
2) gains in the evenagelical vote
3) Less people getting married (single people favor Democrats by a fairly large margin
4) blue collar workers coming back to Democrats
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies