Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 04:57:43 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
| | |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
| | | |-+  "Let America Be America Again" Says John Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Let America Be America Again" Says John Kerry  (Read 2137 times)
Spin Police

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:26:44 pm »
Ignore

Kerry Settles On Campaign Theme, 'Let America Be America Again'
Thu May 20 2004 09:41:50 ET

While continued violence in Iraq and economic worries at home have sapped public confidence and hurt approval ratings for President Bush, worried Democrats have complained that their nominee-in-waiting has been too slow to project a clear message and establish himself as a strong alternativem the WALL STREET JOURNAL repots on Thursday.

But John Kerry's three-day Western swing this week could prove a turning point.

At a time of national self-doubt, the Massachusetts senator hopes to project an image of reassuring strength that melds 'can-do' American optimism with a call for a return to the sense of community." Kerry said, "Talking about 'Let America be America again' is tapping into that value system that people think makes this country strong. What is it that makes us strong, and what do we have to do to get that back, to let America be America? Strength means people being able to do better in their jobs. Strength means having the courage to stand up to special interests that steal the agenda here in Washington. Strength is fighting to have health coverage for children." The Journal adds, "The line comes from the title of a Langston Hughes poem. Mr. Kerry first wrapped it into an appearance on Monday in heavily Republican Kansas with civil-rights leaders, where he commemorated the 50th anniversary of the landmark Brown v. Board of Education court ruling. He then took the words and made them more distinctly his own."

Developing...
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:32:26 pm »
Ignore

Pretty good.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
In New Zealand for a conference and vacation through July 14th Smiley
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 05:59:13 pm »
Ignore

I like "John Kerry - two eyes and a nose"

Got to emphasize the fact that you're an acceptable alternate.

this is real
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 06:11:16 pm »
Ignore

Bland, but acceptable. Overly general, isn't catchy and doesn't really clear up anything. "Progress and prosperity" was much better, but it's a campaign title; not a terribly big deal whether it's wonderful or awful.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 06:12:19 pm »
Ignore

Rather bad, because it simply proves the notion that he wants to act like 9/11 never happened.

NHPolitico
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 06:55:54 pm »
Ignore

While continued violence in Iraq and economic worries at home have sapped public confidence and hurt approval ratings for President Bush, worried Democrats have complained that their nominee-in-waiting has been too slow to project a clear message and establish himself as a strong alternativem the WALL STREET JOURNAL repots on Thursday.

At a time of national self-doubt, the Massachusetts senator hopes to project an image of reassuring strength that melds 'can-do' American optimism with a call for a return to the sense of community." Kerry said, "Talking about 'Let America be America again' is tapping into that value system that people think makes this country strong. What is it that makes us strong, and what do we have to do to get that back, to let America be America? Strength means people being able to do better in their jobs. Strength means having the courage to stand up to special interests that steal the agenda here in Washington. Strength is fighting to have health coverage for children." The Journal adds, "The line comes from the title of a Langston Hughes poem. Mr. Kerry first wrapped it into an appearance on Monday in heavily Republican Kansas with civil-rights leaders, where he commemorated the 50th anniversary of the landmark Brown v. Board of Education court ruling. He then took the words and made them more distinctly his own."

Developing...

It's too passive: "Let?"

We can make America great again.

I'm not saying that's perfect, but it's active, not passive.

"I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible." -- Barry Seinfeld
Don't tell me we can't change.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 06:58:23 pm »
Ignore

Developing...

It's too passive: "Let?"

We can make America great again.

I'm not saying that's perfect, but it's active, not passive.

Funny, I hadn't thought of it, but now that you metion it, it does sound weak, even pansyish to be honest.  But I still think that my original critisism is probably the most important.

??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 01:53:49 am »
Ignore

It's pretty weak IMHO. Kind of like saying in WW2 "Lets be like before December 7th". America is still America, we are just showing our tough side right now.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 02:37:52 am »
Ignore

It sells wat he is selling: a return to the attitudes and policies that brought terror to our shores.

That said, what he is selling will get American civilians killed by the thousands.

Shut you hole... Conservatism is dead. I hope I get to see your head paraded on a pike with it.
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 02:40:15 am »
Ignore

Bush should change his slogan to, "Today we need a Churchill, not a Chamberlain."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 02:44:06 am »
Ignore

Bush should change his slogan to, "Today we need a Churchill, not a Chamberlain."

I was kinda mad that he changed from his original solgan.  I liked "A Charge to Keep".

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 07:12:45 am »
Ignore

Mildly bad...but everythivng baout Kerry is mildly bad.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout