Which religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:08:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: is the best?
Liberal Christianity

jmfcst/Pat Robertson Christianity

Islam

Buddhism

Sikhism

Hinduism

Wicca

Neo-paganism

Judaism

Jainism

Zoroastarianism

Other

None, all religions are crap

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Which religion  (Read 4378 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:07 PM »

I'll try and answer it Smiley

I wouldn't say using those words would make one automatically homophobic; sometimes juvenile insults like that can slip out.

And thats what they are, immature, juvenile insults. I've words like that spat in my face so many times now they really don't really bother me.
'Fag' is a horrible word, probably more the way it's said than anything else.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »

I'll try and answer it Smiley

I wouldn't say using those words would make one automatically homophobic; sometimes juvenile insults like that can slip out.

And thats what they are, immature, juvenile insults. I've words like that spat in my face so many times now they really don't really bother me.
'Fag' is a horrible word, probably more the way it's said than anything else.

I would wager that the majority of people who call other people "fags" don't even really think about what they're saying.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2006, 12:18:18 PM »

Well, I would obviously assume that the best is my own, so Liberal Christianity.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

Well, then you're not a good Catholic, since you want me to use condoms, which is sinning in your church's eyes, despite the fact that 80% of American Catholics are enlightened enough to realize this stance is a load of crap and completely ignore it. Of course I'm not Catholic anyway so there's no reason for me to care what they say, but do you want Flyers to use condoms?

Haha. Actually, Josh, it's not considered a sin.

So you've never heard of Humane Vitae?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_Vitae
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

It was the Papal edict declaring contraception as sinful. And the church still holds it today.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm

The Roman Catholic and a very few very conservative Protestant denominations prohibit all but the time barrier methods. Only the latter are considered natural. Data on birth rates among Roman Catholic couples shows that their family size does not differ significantly from those of Protestant couples. This would seem to indicate that essentially all Roman Catholics are ignoring the instructions of their church.

You can read more here: http://www.catholic.com/library/Birth_Control.asp

You and Pat Robertson are both intolerant gay haters. Hence you belong together. Basically, what opebo said.

When someone calls someone else a "fag" or "homo" as an insult, are they gay haters? Just curious.

BRTD, I want that question answered.

I did.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2006, 11:49:19 AM »

The mainstream Catholic religion that you decided didn't exist.

I got a good laugh out of this one.

I don't belong to a "liberal christian" or a "pat robertson christian" church. I belong to a christian church -- surprised you left that one out.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »

Cons. Christian
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 10:59:34 PM »

So you've never heard of Humane Vitae?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_Vitae
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

It was the Papal edict declaring contraception as sinful. And the church still holds it today.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm

The Roman Catholic and a very few very conservative Protestant denominations prohibit all but the time barrier methods. Only the latter are considered natural. Data on birth rates among Roman Catholic couples shows that their family size does not differ significantly from those of Protestant couples. This would seem to indicate that essentially all Roman Catholics are ignoring the instructions of their church.

You can read more here: http://www.catholic.com/library/Birth_Control.asp

I have been under the impression (hearing from religion teachers and others that know a bit more than we would) that it is not necessarily sinful but I'd have to do a bit more questioning on this, it seems.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I didn't see it in that post. Please repost it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »

You and Pat Robertson are both intolerant gay haters. Hence you belong together. Basically, what opebo said.

When someone calls someone else a "fag" or "homo" as an insult, are they gay haters? Just curious.

Not neccesarily, they're just severely lacking in maturity and wit. I refuse to ever use such insults.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2006, 06:17:21 AM »

I don't belong to a "liberal christian" or a "pat robertson christian" church. I belong to a christian church -- surprised you left that one out.

I understand your point but there is no christian church, there is Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican/Episcopal, etc.

On another note, Does the Congregationalist Church exist outside of New England?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 02:16:28 PM »

I understand your point but there is no christian church, there is Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican/Episcopal, etc.

On another note, Does the Congregationalist Church exist outside of New England?

Yes. One branch off it is the UCC (United Church of Christ) and there's one just down the hill from me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies