Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 03:47:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2006 Elections
| | |-+  2006 Gubernatorial Election Polls
| | | |-+  PA-Gov: Dead Heat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PA-Gov: Dead Heat  (Read 7682 times)
Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 11:09:09 pm »
Ignore

Um, let's not inaugurate the guy until he wins the election.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 11:13:12 pm »
Ignore

Phil, we know you're here.  I don't know about the other hacks.

Tell us more, oh knowledgable one, about how Rendell will cruise into a second term. I'm able to admit when my hero is in trouble; you do the same with one of your's. For the first time we will see an incumbent Governor of PA facing problems in his bid for re-election. Face it - Eddie isn't loved anymore!

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
RomneyGekko Situation Hairgel
Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 11:15:06 pm »
Ignore

Tell us more, oh knowledgable one, about how Rendell will cruise into a second term. I'm able to admit when my hero is in trouble; you do the same with one of your's. For the first time we will see an incumbent Governor of PA facing problems in his bid for re-election. Face it - Eddie isn't loved anymore!

In the Southeast, he's more than fine, hell he's still God.  People in the west are just jealous and I can't answer for that so they have to pick their sports hero to counter. 

DOUCHEBAGGERY AT ITS FINEST!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 11:22:29 pm »
Ignore

Wow, this thread has developed a very serious case of Hackism. Sad

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 11:42:34 pm »
Ignore

I'll admit at this point this race is shaping up to be closer than I originally thought.  However, what will happen when Swann is seen to be more conservative than most people believe he is?   Not to mention even with this race shaping up at this point to be closer, Rendell still has ten times the chance to win than Swann does.  Not to mention the simple fact no one has won a statewide race in PA without covering the PPA suburbs.  And before you go off into your rant on how their is more to the state, quite simply no one has won the state without the Philly burbs & that is  something Rendell has locked down

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 12:19:23 am »
Ignore

If Swann wins, it is by no means too early to talk about him at the bottom of the ticket in 2008.

I'd say something about this, but after thinking about and considering George W. Bush's fast-track to the presidency, I won't.

Exactly.  I'm not even saying its good or bad to fast-track the guy, but if he wins, he will be fast tracked and end up on any GOP shortlist for VP.

Shut you hole... Conservatism is dead. I hope I get to see your head paraded on a pike with it.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006, 02:14:28 am »
Ignore

If Swann wins, it is by no means too early to talk about him at the bottom of the ticket in 2008.

I'd say something about this, but after thinking about and considering George W. Bush's fast-track to the presidency, I won't.

Exactly.  I'm not even saying its good or bad to fast-track the guy, but if he wins, he will be fast tracked and end up on any GOP shortlist for VP.

I should point out that GW Bush was elected in Texas in 1994 and reelected in 1998.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2006, 02:25:04 am »
Ignore

I should point out that GW Bush was elected in Texas in 1994 and reelected in 1998.

With Bush that was 6 yers, not two.  not to mention the edge he has because of his father being a VP for 8 years & Pres for four years, something Swann doesn't have. I don't think Swann will win, but even if he does, being Govenor for two years is not nearly enough to make him on the short list for 08

Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2006, 02:25:46 am »
Ignore

Yeah, so he had basically five and a bit years of experience when he started his campaign.  That's one more year than Mark Warner has, and I've heard tons of people say that his lack of extensive elected experience is one of his biggest weaknesses.

It wasn't as little experience as Swann would have were he made the VP nominee in 2008, but you have to admit that it was still very little, comparatively speaking.  To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), the only person elected President of the United States with less elected experience than George W. Bush was Jimmy Carter, who had only four years as governor of Georgia (excluding the very early presidents, of course).

There is also the issue that this is the presidential slot we're talking about.  People would probably care less about the experience of the guy in the VP slot if the person in the presidential slot had a lot.

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
Adlai Stevenson
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006, 03:24:59 pm »
Ignore

Why should this election be as close as it appears to be from early polls?  Rendell has not done spectacularly badly as Governor, has he?  Is it because Swann has a lot of positives; attracting black support, a celebrity non-political figure?

[img/http://blog.pennlive.com/thrive/2007/08/WINEHOUSE1.jpgimg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJQq8MoR-g
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 03:43:41 pm »
Ignore

In the Southeast, he's more than fine, hell he's still God.  People in the west are just jealous and I can't answer for that so they have to pick their sports hero to counter. 

This just proves that SE PA does not dictate what happens all the time. Your hero was never as popular as you believed and now people have someone to rally behind to end his time as Governor. We're talking about an incumbent Governor losing his bid for re-election in Pennsylvania...but keep thinking that everything is ok because SE PA loves him.

By the way, you love to mock westerners/Swann supporters because Swann is a sports hero yet a lot of people around here admire Rendell because he's an Eagles guy and can take a few pictures while eating a cheesesteak. This certainly doesn't go one way.

And before you go off into your rant on how their is more to the state, quite simply no one has won the state without the Philly burbs & that is  something Rendell has locked down

Before you spew your stupidity (too late, I guess) please inform me of the last time that western and central PA has gotten so excited over a challenger/disliked the incumbent so much. It's not as simple as your simple mind would like it to be.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 03:51:20 pm »
Ignore

Why should this election be as close as it appears to be from early polls?  Rendell has not done spectacularly badly as Governor, has he?

He hasn't done anything terribly bad or very good. All in all, he's been a mediocre governor and has mainly failed to deliver on the big PA issue, property tax reform.

Is it because Swann has a lot of positives; attracting black support, a celebrity non-political figure?

Right now, Swann's upsides are showing, mainly his charisma, name recognition, and newness to the political scene. Once the campaign gets going, I'd expect his negatives to become apparent, especially his lack of policy background.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2006, 04:19:08 pm »
Ignore

Folks, be fair.  Gubernatoral candidates being exceedingly open about issues is not exactly standard.  That's why Democrats win in Wyoming, and Republicans win in Massachusetts.  They run on a platform of economic improval and state issues, not on abortion and gay marriage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:40:11 pm by Alcon »Logged

n/c
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2006, 04:26:38 pm »
Ignore

Folks, be fair.  Gubernatoral candidates being exceedingly open about issues is not exactly standard.  That's why Democrats win in Wyoming, and Republicans win in Massachusetts.  They run on a platform of economic approval and state issues, not on abortion and gay marriage.

^^^^^^^

Thank you.  That's one of the few really intelligent statements I've heard on this board in weeks.
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2006, 12:45:11 am »
Ignore

This just proves that SE PA does not dictate what happens all the time. Your hero was never as popular as you believed and now people have someone to rally behind to end his time as Governor. We're talking about an incumbent Governor losing his bid for re-election in Pennsylvania...but keep thinking that everything is ok because SE PA loves him.

By the way, you love to mock westerners/Swann supporters because Swann is a sports hero yet a lot of people around here admire Rendell because he's an Eagles guy and can take a few pictures while eating a cheesesteak. This certainly doesn't go one way.

And before you go off into your rant on how their is more to the state, quite simply no one has won the state without the Philly burbs & that is  something Rendell has locked down

Before you spew your stupidity (too late, I guess) please inform me of the last time that western and central PA has gotten so excited over a challenger/disliked the incumbent so much. It's not as simple as your simple mind would like it to be.

That makes a dent, but still does not make up for the fact that NO ONE has EVER won the state without the Philly burbs (when I say burbs I mean within the last 50 years or so, not when most of SEPA was rural).  Its not the only part of the state, but electionwise it is VERY VERY important.

nini2287
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2006, 11:45:23 am »
Ignore

Does anyone have any idea where Swann stands on the issues? I looked on his website and there's nothing.

Bump this point.  That's why I'm still reluctant to endorse him.

danwxman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2006, 05:20:46 pm »
Ignore

Folks, be fair.  Gubernatoral candidates being exceedingly open about issues is not exactly standard.  That's why Democrats win in Wyoming, and Republicans win in Massachusetts.  They run on a platform of economic improval and state issues, not on abortion and gay marriage.

Excellent post. And that may be Swann's problem. So far, it looks like his platform is basically going to be the Republican party platform. Because, as he said, "I don't have any ideas, I don't need any ideas"...I don't think that will win him the election.

I'm currently listening to:

on Sirius Satellite Radio

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 10:57:53 pm »
Ignore

With Bush that was 6 yers, not two.  not to mention the edge he has because of his father being a VP for 8 years & Pres for four years, something Swann doesn't have. I don't think Swann will win, but even if he does, being Govenor for two years is not nearly enough to make him on the short list for 08

Smash, that's kinda my point.  Being Governor for two years is not the best position to be in on the national ticket.  If elected and re-elected, it is, but there is still a long way to go.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006, 11:29:39 am »
Ignore

The GOP needs more candidates like Swann, and more candidates like Brooke (who goes back a ways), Watts, Steele, Blackwell, and more officials like Powell, Rice.

And a few more Alan Keyes' wouldn't go a miss either Wink

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout