Official Torino 2006 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:16:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Official Torino 2006 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Official Torino 2006 thread  (Read 16169 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 11:28:26 PM »

I'd rather NBC cut out the non-Americans/non-good stuff for us. I'd rather not watch ten groups of Chinese guys go before the American kicks their asses.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 02:31:03 AM »

I'd rather NBC cut out the non-Americans/non-good stuff for us. I'd rather not watch ten groups of Chinese guys go before the American kicks their asses.

I have the same feeling for the non-Canadians.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »

Is anyone else enjoying the repeated Bode Miller wipeouts?  This is the highlight of the games for me for some reason.  First, he skids around on the downhill.  Not only does Bode stink out the joint, he ruins the whole team when his complaints about the skis convince Daron Rhalves to switch to older, slower skis and Rhalves ddoes a perfect run but just isn't fast enough.  Bode has Terrell Owens potential here.  Then he gets DQd in the combined and some American no one has ever heard of wins the gold in combined!  Bode is on the cover of time, and no one will ever remember the name of Ted Ligety, even though Ligety is apparently better.

Olympic hero so far is Shaun White, the snowboarder who says he's going to use his Halfpipe gold medal to hit on figure skater Sasha Cohen.  That's what America is all about, my friends.  Greatest country on Earth.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »

I have the same feeling for the non-Canadians.

Watching the winter games gives me the same feeling that I presume most countries get with the summer games. In the summer games, if there is only a maximum of about 6 people who have a chance of winning gold, usually at least one is an Aussie. If there isn't an aussie, there is another sport that will have one so they can cover that instead.

In the winter oolympics, there might be an aussie somewhere around 18th, but the realistic medal chances are very rarely Australian. It's still interesting, but not as interesting. I suppose the Canucks feel the same way about the summer games.

BTW, I feel kind of sorry for Norway-last I looked, they had 8 medals but only one of them was Gold.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 09:17:22 PM »

That's why America rocks. We have a medal contender in pretty much everything.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 09:56:57 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2006, 10:17:18 PM by hughento »

Yeah, but you have 300 million people. We have 20 million and still manage to get in the top 5 in the summer games. Although Norway is pretty impressive, considering they have 3, maybe 4 million people? In Sydney, The US won about 1 medal per 3 million people. Australia won about 1 per 300,000. So, you could say we're ten times better then the states Cheesy

The best olympic nations would probably be the Bahamas, Australia, Norway, the USA, Germany and Russia. Maybe a couple of other little nations that win a few medals.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 03:20:38 AM »

Yeah, but you have 300 million people. We have 20 million and still manage to get in the top 5 in the summer games. Although Norway is pretty impressive, considering they have 3, maybe 4 million people? In Sydney, The US won about 1 medal per 3 million people. Australia won about 1 per 300,000. So, you could say we're ten times better then the states Cheesy

The best olympic nations would probably be the Bahamas, Australia, Norway, the USA, Germany and Russia. Maybe a couple of other little nations that win a few medals.

And Jamaica has a good bobsled team. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 03:22:32 AM »

Wow, someone else has seen Cool Runnings. Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 03:25:44 AM »

Yeah, we were talking about how good a movie that was at work the other day. And we were messing with this big ole Jamacian guy we work with. Smiley
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »

When you consider the medals won on Winter Olympics only, Liechtenstein might have won the most medals per inhabitant. 4 or 5 medals in total on 30,000(?) inhabitants.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

Australia is aiming for one medal, any colour. How depressing.

An Australian just won the gold medal in men's moguls.
CO-OWL
OWL
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: 0.10

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »

For the foreigners out there...are your networks showing the Games live? Everything except some curling and ice hockey is recorded for us.

If I wanted to, I could watch Olympic Games from 9am to 11pm (CET) on the public networks. When nothing else is avaible they even broadcast curling or ice hockey matches without the German team participating.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »

Australia is aiming for one medal, any colour. How depressing.

An Australian just won the gold medal in men's moguls.

well, he was one of our 5 real medal chances, so that's good, but this is kinda irritating, because the tv coverage won't start for another 13 hours and 38 minutes Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

F'ing Latvia.

We should whip on the Kazakhs, but still, we tied fricking Latvia.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 09:57:44 PM »

The Russia-Slovakia and Germany-Czech Rep. matches were both great.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:14 PM »

Um...who HASN'T seen Cool Runnings?!

And they're not a good team.  Just an inspiring one.  They didn't qualify this year.  One of my biggest disappointments in the opening ceremonies this year was realizing that Jamaica had no representation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »

The one Aussie gold medal is from a former Canadian Roll Eyes Kind of reminds me of the Australian curling team, which is entirely made up of former Canadians. They aren't in these games, but I did have the luxury to practice next to them last year Smiley

That's why America rocks. We have a medal contender in pretty much everything.

Not true. Probably just for half the events.  This is true for the Summer Olympics, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »

Hey we actually won a medal! Cheesy
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »

My home towns own Alex Izykowski is speed skating in the Olympics. He got to the semi-finals in the mens 500 but was then eliminated. Then on wednesday, he skated will apolo ohno in the 5000 relay and the finished first and are going to the finals. It would be nice to see him bring a medal back to Bay City.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2006, 03:57:43 PM »

Not true. Probably just for half the events.  This is true for the Summer Olympics, though.

No, the only sports we don't do well in are cross country skiing, ski jumping, and nordic combined.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

It's the only one you'll be winning in a multi-sport event this year...Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »

Bring on Slovakia
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »

The USA Women had a tough curling loss. Aside from the fact I have no clue what the hell is going on, I don't find curling to be that boring a sport.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »

The USA Women had a tough curling loss. Aside from the fact I have no clue what the hell is going on, I don't find curling to be that boring a sport.

It's kinda like lawn bowls on ice. Not really anyone's favourite sport, but watchable.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »

For one of the rounds recently, I saw they just kept hitting each other's puck out of the circles. Senseless really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies