Official Melbourne 2006 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Official Melbourne 2006 thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Official Melbourne 2006 thread  (Read 7547 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2006, 05:48:13 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2006, 07:40:58 AM by hughento »

For discussing the upcoming Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Some of the details of the opening ceremony have been leaked, but nothing about the major ceremony inside the world's most famous stadium (if anyone wants to contest that, I point at the billion Indian Cricket fans).

I've got a ticket to the Badminton semi-finals, which is good enough for me.

I'm predicting Australia to win at least 50% of the medals Wink

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:04:23 AM »

Cricket is largely a tv and radio sport...
The game to sell the most stadium tickets in India is actually Football.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 06:08:58 AM »

Perhaps so, but the MCG is still the venue that hosts the games that are broadcast on TV and the radio. Pretty much everyone in the cricketing world knows about the MCG.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:13:01 AM »

Perhaps so, but the MCG is still the venue that hosts the games that are broadcast on TV and the radio. Pretty much everyone in the cricketing world knows about the MCG.
Oh yes, I wasn't contradicting you. ... though of course, that makes it no better known than all the major Indian and Pakistani cricket grounds. Grin
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 06:23:49 AM »

Oh yes, I wasn't contradicting you. ... though of course, that makes it no better known than all the major Indian and Pakistani cricket grounds. Grin

Ah, but we also have everyone in the UK and Australia, who would struggle to name more then maybe two grounds on the subcontinent.

Then add the fact that it hosts heaps of other sports, and it's pretty famous. Other famous stadiums that come close, outside the subcontinent, would be Lords, Wembley and the Millenium Dome in the UK, Stade de France, Madison Square Gardens, and some of the South American soccer grounds, of course.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 06:27:54 AM »

That's right ... who in the world hasn't heard of Wembley?
It doesn't exist anymore though, so it doesn't count. And while every football fan has at least heard of Maracana, I suppose most other people have not... Frankly I don't care what's the most famous stadium. Cheesy
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:54:53 AM »

Scotland should hopefully give us a modest tally of around half a dozen golds with cycling being our best bet. As long as we outdo Wales I'll be happy Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 08:07:27 AM »

Scotland should hopefully give us a modest tally of around half a dozen golds with cycling being our best bet. As long as we outdo Wales I'll be happy Tongue

Actually, all the anglo-celtic commonwealth countries are reasonably storng in cycling-certainly, Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain are. I'm not sure how that breaks down within the UK though. Canada isn't bad either, of course.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »

Then add the fact that it hosts heaps of other sports, and it's pretty famous. Other famous stadiums that come close, outside the subcontinent, would be Lords, Wembley and the Millenium Dome in the UK, Stade de France, Madison Square Gardens, and some of the South American soccer grounds, of course.

Madison Square Garden is singular, not plural, and it’s an arena, not a stadium.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »

I'm still waiting for the Commonwealth Winter Games so we can finally pWn the Aussies at something.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:53:29 AM »

I'm still waiting for the Commonwealth Winter Games so we can finally pWn the Aussies at something.

Mate, I'm fairly sure that only Australia, the UK, New Zealand and Canada would even bother to send competitors to that one. Maybe SAfrica, Pakistan and India...maybe Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:48:26 AM »

remember how a while back melbourne was singled out (well, doubled out) alongside los angeles as a potential terrorist target?

The thought just entered my head that maybe this is what they were aiming for. :S
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »

BUMP

The Queen's Baton has crossed into Victoria; up near Mildura (very top west corner of VIC).

There are also tonnes of light green, blue and orange flags all over the city; Fed Square is all decked up in the livery, there are games-related TV ads; and Flinders Street Station almost looks clean. 26 days to go Smiley

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »

Australia is aiming for 208 medals-88 of them gold.

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/661158

"Australia's Commonwealth Games boss Perry Crosswhite is more confident than ever of a record medal haul in Melbourne.

Less than a month out from the games, Crosswhite says Australia is well on target to top the medal table and she is hoping for a haul of 208 medals - including 88 gold.

The tally of 208 medals is one more than they won in Manchester, while 88 gold is one more than their record of 87 won at the 1994 Victoria Games. "
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

10 days to go Smiley

Lor mayyer John So is very excitable of the possibeetee of a great time in the ceedee cennar and for awl of Malbon.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 01:28:04 AM »

Who in the hell cares about the Commonwealth games when the Olympics just finished?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »

Who in the hell cares about the Commonwealth games when the Olympics just finished?

Aussies who are mad because they suck at the Winter Olympics
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »

5 days to go.

Everything is really getting into gear now. The signs are up for the road closures, the last minute ticket sales blitz is one, and the final dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony is tonight.

And i'm going!

Considering tickets for the real thing are $450 or something, and i'm getting this for free, I'm not overly dissapointed that it won't be quite as spectacular as the real thing, but i'm certainly looking forward to it, and the games in general.

It's taken a while, but I think Melburnians are finally stating to become "United by the moment". I know i'm certainly pretty excitied Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:21 PM »

I've not even seen this on our news.  Rather irrelevant I think.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 02:35:43 AM »

Well it was just the first dress rehearsal, but still, thumbs up.

I can't go into too much detail, but whilst parts of it were a bit boring, a couple of sections were absoutely excellent.

Rickie, it'll be on the news when they're on.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 02:15:02 AM »

Whoa, I didnt even realize it was this month until I saw it advertized on CBC. Crazy Aussies with your winters in the summer.

I'm still mad Ottawa lost the bid for 2014 Sad
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:48 PM »

STARTS TONIGHT!

Melbourne's very much read. Should be a good couple of weeks.

Predicted highlights:

Women's 100m freestyle swimming: Alice Mills, Jodie Henry and Libby Lenton (all AUS) have been beating each other's world records frequently over the past two years; all of them could win and it's pretty likely a world record will be set.

Final of the Netball: Almost certainly going to be Australia vs. New Zealand. There is no love lost whatsoever between the teams. In Machester, Australia won in triple overtime.

Men's 100m: Always a highlight of every games, features the world's fastest man, Asafa Powell (Jamaica).

Women's diving: With Malaysia, Singapore, Canada and Australia all fielding very strong teams, each contest is likely to be tight.

Men's Cycling: New Zealand and England will be hoping to stop an Australian sweep, but Canada, South Africa and the other home nations aren't weak, either.

Of course, other eents will shine, and some of these will be boring, but they're some of the key events to look out for.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 02:20:31 AM »

we're just 2 hours away... Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 04:24:39 AM »

It's all ready to start-if you can watch it, I strongly recommend it. When I went to the dress rehearsal I was very impressed and I know you will be too Smiley

Melbourne's BUZZING. It might not be the olympics, but it's still massive, and to use a cliche, Melbourne is ready and waiting for the games to start.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

I officially apologise on behalf of the people of Melbourne for the cruddiness of that ceremony.

I'm livid.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies