Day 22: Bosnia and Herzegovina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:30:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 22: Bosnia and Herzegovina
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 22: Bosnia and Herzegovina  (Read 773 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2006, 03:25:31 AM »

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bk.html

Discuss
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »

Why'd you do two in one day?

It's not really a country or unified at this point. Don't know if it ever will be. But at least they aren't killing each other anymore.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »

They've got peace - finally - although somehow the Serbian war criminals manage to hide in the French zone for a decade without being caught... Roll Eyes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:15:16 AM »

"French zone"? In Bosnia? Huh The people that have been getting caught have usually been hiding in either Serbia or in Coalition of the Willing Australia, by the way. ...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »

"French zone"? In Bosnia? Huh The people that have been getting caught have usually been hiding in either Serbia or in Coalition of the Willing Australia, by the way. ...

After the Dayton Accords, the country was divided into 4 areas of responsibility. I'll dispense with the Bihac and a little-bit-more area which some special status because IIRC it was close enough to NATO to be effectively patrolled. The rest of the country was split into IFOR Zones (scroll towards the bottom), one each for the Americans (more-or-less the 'north'), British (more-or-less the 'west'), and French (more-or-less the 'southeast' - hey, Bosnia is a triangle Wink ). The area under French control contained the heart of Republica Srpska, including their 'capital' of Pale (where Radovan Karadzic 'hid' quite openly from the War Crimes Tribunal for many years), and for a long time Karadzic and Ratko Mladic have been hiding here (and moving back and forth in Milosevic-run Serbia to be certain) and very little effort was made by the French forces (under Mitterand or Chirac alike) to hunt them down. Last I heard Mladic is in Russia, you know, Schroeder's masters? Wink Karadzic appears to be in RS somewhere.

Serbia I expected, Australia is a surprise. What does hugh have to say?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »

Australia has large Croat and Serbian communities that always hated each other - probably more so than the people back home did. Lots of Australians involved in the making of this war, on both sides.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »

Australia has large Croat and Serbian communities that always hated each other - probably more so than the people back home did. Lots of Australians involved in the making of this war, on both sides.
As much as I followed this war - and I damn near lived and breathed it as a young Political Science and History undergraduate - I still had never heard of this before. Shocked
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies