Which country is more socially conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Which country is more socially conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which country is more socially conservative?
Philippines

Indonesia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Which country is more socially conservative?  (Read 4166 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »

Here's an interesting point. Both southeast Asia archipelagos, but with radically different religious demographics. The Philippines of course are far too controlled by the repressive yoke of the Catholic church, and are rather socially conservative. Indonesia however, is often called a "liberal" Muslim country. However, note that both have the same abortion laws (illegal unless the mother's life is threatened). And note that last year, Miss Indonesia competing in the Miss Universe pagaent was given death threats and was the first to participate in a beauty pagaent in a long time, despite the fact she was the only contestant to wear a one-piece swimsuit in that competition instead of a bikini. Philippines never has any problems with beauty pagants and competes in them all the time. Also Philippines has loads of strip clubs. Indonesia probably has some, but not very many, especially per capita. Minnesota probably has more strip clubs than Indonesia.

Therefore one could say Indonesia is more socially conservative than the Philippines, a rather socially conservative country. Now if Indonesia is supposedly a "liberal" Muslim country, what does that tell you? It's probably still more socially conservative than Utah would be if it were an independent country. Perhaps this shows that it's not quite so enlighted as many would want us to believe?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2006, 03:48:22 PM by patrick1 »

"Your logic is flawless."  Inignokt

Oh and for the most part Indonesia is more conservative.  Neither country is monolithic and there are many different competing cultures and traditions .  Majority Hindu Bali is more of a freewheeling and permissive area than say Southern Mindanao.

"Repressive yoke" of the Catholic church, please.  Last time I checked there were not Swiss guards holding pikes to people to enforce Church guidelines. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »

Indonesia
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »

Indonesia, although granted the two nations have differentiation by region

I'm convinced that Indonesia may yet fall apart into two or more states - both Bali and Irian Jaya (west New Guinea) are both culturally quite distinct from the muslim-dominated islands such as Java.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:36:56 PM »

Both are far, far less conservative than Utah, BRTD, and in practice less conservative than any part of the USA, for the simple reason that both have large and mostly tolerated prostitution industries.  These are somewhat discrete, particularly in Indonesia, but both have bars, nightclubs, massage parlours, and many, many venues to hire companionship.

What is there in Utah?  Nothing.  Utah is a completely useless place.  For that matter so is Missouri. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 10:11:18 PM »

BRTD, that is probably the most stupid argument you've put forward in a long, long while.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:29:24 PM »

Brilliant argument.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:31:14 PM »

I don't see how anyone who is not intimately familiar with both cultures can possibly answer this question. 99 out of a 100 times that means someone who is either Indonesian or Filippino.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »

BRTD, that is probably the most stupid argument you've put forward in a long, long while.

Why? The point is simply that the most liberal Muslim countries are still more conservative than the most conservative Christian countries.

Oh and for the most part Indonesia is more conservative.  Neither country is monolithic and there are many different competing cultures and traditions .  Majority Hindu Bali is more of a freewheeling and permissive area than say Southern Mindanao.

Probably true, but like you said, it's majority Hindu. Hence it's not really relevant to the comparison being made.

"Repressive yoke" of the Catholic church, please.  Last time I checked there were not Swiss guards holding pikes to people to enforce Church guidelines.

No, but they still hold a lot of influence and use that to try to work against the free distribution of contraceptives (even though basically every government has supported it) and Arroyo's attempts to loosen the abortion laws (even though she still sucks)

BTW, I was right about the strip clubs, there's 16 in Indonesia, compared to 40 in Minnesota. This is with 206,264,595 people in Indonesia and 4,919,479 in Minnesota. That means ratios of 12,891,537:1 in Indonesia and 122,987:1 in Minnesota, which itself is a ratio of more than 100:1. Philippines has 80, with a population of 76,498,735, which is a ratio of 956,234:1 which is almost 8 times as much as Minnesota, but still less than 1/13th of Indonesia's. Also I'm sure if you toss out the boring rural areas the ratio goes way way up, and judging by the massive amount in Angeles City I want to visit there now very badly!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:48:47 PM »

I wouldn't place too much stock in your strip club guide, BRTD.  I got laid in Indonesia by a beautiful 20-ish girl for 200,000 rupiah - about $20-22.. in the upstairs room of a bar where the girls downstairs were dancing in bikinis.  And that was in Batam, a very minor island near Singapore.  I suspect that there are a lot more venues for procuring genuine satisfaction in Indonesia than in Minnesota or any other American state.

I'll say it again - the US is far more socially conservative in practice than either the Phillipines or Indonesia.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 11:50:31 PM »

Yeah BRTD, I find it hard to believe there are only 16 "strip clubs" in a country of 240m people. It's not like they are all going to be registered with the government.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 12:08:15 AM »

Yeah BRTD, I find it hard to believe there are only 16 "strip clubs" in a country of 240m people. It's not like they are all going to be registered with the government.

I have to admit I only saw one bar that could seriously be called a 'strip club' in Batam town, though there were several other bars where one could get hookers.  I have read that there are large red light districts in Jakarta and Surabaya, and moderate sized ones in many other cities.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 12:12:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure the site I use includes only "legitimate" clubs.

P.S. I can't believe the sheer amount there are in Pattya! Holy sh!t!
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 08:03:56 AM »

Philippenes

Every Catholic country is more liberal than any Muslim country.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »

I think a lot of people missed my point, at least those calling it a stupid argument. The case is often made by Islam apologists that there isn't neccesarily anything wrong with Islam, it's just the nature of the countries it happens to be prominent in as opposed to Christianity, etc. and that you can't really compare Western countries to the Middle East. So here I compared two countries that are much more similar. And even in this case, the Muslim country is more conservative. So the point stands that even the most conservative Christian contries are still less so than the most liberal Muslim countries, even in cases where they are similar. Therefore, Islam is definately inherently repressive.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »

BRTD, 'free' sex is only one very small part of western liberalisation, and certainly not the best indicator of it. In Russia, there are tonnes of strip clubs-but would you call it more liberal then Australia? Sure, we have strip clubs too, but not as many as Russia.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure the site I use includes only "legitimate" clubs.

P.S. I can't believe the sheer amount there are in Pattya! Holy sh!t!

Yes, Pattaya is the best place in the world - the center of the world, really.  And as such it is under heavy attack from the Forces of Social Control.  Every time I leave I have terrible fears that it will be suppressed before I can get back.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies