What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:23:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK?  (Read 2580 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 08:40:28 PM »

Al is she further to the liberal/left than say Jeremy Corbyn?

In some respects yes, in others no; the problem is (and this is basically what Angus is ranting about) the issues are different and they way they are viewed is often very different (example; decentralising power away from central/federal government is a leftwing cause over here).
That said, a lot of leftwing Democrats *are* very like Corbyn (up to a point) but it has to be remembered that Corbyn isn't typical of anything; he entered politics at a time when his general political outlook was on the rise and, unlike the likes of Hodge, Primarolo or Livingstone, he's never really seen the point of adapting to changing times and has the luck of being the M.P for one of very few constituencies (Islington North) that is prepared to let him get away with that.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »

decentralising power away from central/federal government is a leftwing cause over here

Well I don't see Federal issues as either left or right; liberal or conservative.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't agree with the premise here at all... But even then couldn't the same thing be said about Barbara Boxer and her district? =)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 09:33:23 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2006, 09:56:44 PM by Dave Leip »

BECAUSE IT'S A RIDICULOUS QUESTION

BARBARA BOXER IS NOT AN ENGLISHMAN.

I MIGHT HAVE MORE AMUSEMENT IF HIS PEURILE QUESTIONS IN THE OTHER THREAD HADN'T RESULTED IN A TOTAL FAD IN WHICH IT WAS TAKEN OVER, BUT OBVIOUSLY IT WAS.

IT IS A NONSTARTER.  DON'T PLAY HIS GAME.  DON'T RUIN THIS BOARD.

What happened to you?  You used to be laid back, writing stories about a gerbil powering your PC during Katrina.  Now you're bitter.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 09:41:52 PM »

this ain't bitter, man.  bases are bitter.  acids are sour.  In fact, the German word for "acid" is Sauer, as in Sauer Kraut (literally, "acidic cabbage").

On this type of thread, I have nothing but acidity.  Don't get the two concepts confused, asshole.

This ain't alkalinity!  It's pure acidity!  No doubt it's the result of my stomach acids churning at the thought of all you dumbasses deigning to post in such an assinine thread.

you see Pim's "refusal to accept the premise" here comment?

Well, NO sh**t!!!  it's an invalid premise.  Of course he doesn't accept it.  NOR SHOULD HE.

Nor should anyone!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »

this ain't bitter, man.  bases are bitter.  acids are sour.  In fact, the German word for "acid" is Sauer, as in Sauer Kraut (literally, "acidic cabbage").

On this type of thread, I have nothing but acidity.  Don't get the two concepts confused, asshole.

This ain't alkalinity!  It's pure acidity!  No doubt it's the result of my stomach acids churning at the thought of all you dumbasses deigning to post in such an assinine thread.

you see Pim's "refusal to accept the premise" here comment?

Well, NO sh**t!!!  it's an invalid premise.  Of course he doesn't accept it.  NOR SHOULD HE.

Nor should anyone!

I don't see why it's such a terrible thread.  People ask all the time 'What party would Tony Blair be in in the USA' or 'What party would John Major...' and etc.  This is just that concept reversed.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »

ah, look Boss Tweed.  I said I wasn't going to bitch anymore, so I won't.  In fact the last post wasn't so much bitching as responding to you.  And you're a young boy.  And smart and well-read and interested in public policy, so you deserve a little education here.  Here's the thing.  Of course it's a question one might ask.  One might ask many questions.  One might ask a librarian what time the library closes, for example.  That's a fair question, in the sense that the librarian can be expected not only to have that information, but to be able to politely provide it upon request.  This isn't that type of question.  What party would Tony Blair be if he were a Yankee?  First, Tony Blair isn't.  But you say, well, if the wavefunctions collapsed in such a way such that Tony Blair were a Yankee, what party would he be in?  Well, now such a superposition of states (you'll study about superposition of states in your junior-level college physics courses), a different universe exists.  And in such a universe, cats may be green, mountains may be holes in the ground, while valleys may be large objects which rise above the clouds.  In such a version of the universe (which may or may not exist!  who's to say?) Tony Blair may be a Black, Jewish, American lapdancer who is a libertarian gun-nut.  See the problem?  (of course, the simple answer to give people when they ask such a question is that Tony Blair would be a Democrat, given only the choice of D and R, and everyone and his grandmother knows that, so it certainly doesn't merit an entire thread.  But more evidently, the shape of his head has less to do with the current intranational alliances, yes I meant intra-, and more to do with his socialization, which may well have been very very different had he been socialized in a different country.  What party would Chairman Mao belong to?  Hitler?  Moussilini?  Lao Tzu?  Renee descartes?  Who knows?  Who can possibly know?  what you're asking folks to do is suspend disbelief, and what you're asking folks to do is make huge assumptions about the socializations of individuals which cannot possibly be validated.)  But--and this is important!--the fact that it's an invalid question isn't my prime concern here.  My primary concern is that when BRTD tries to prove how shallow he is, he does more than succeed.  He starts trends.  (yes, I may be blaming him on something that he didn't start.  I'm old.  Smoked too much grass and drank too much booze in my youth--a lesson to you, young man--but still, somebody started it, and he's an easy and likely target for my current abuse) and the trend in Individual Politics was one picked up with a vengeance by posters such as A18, which is a little surprising, since he's fairly intelligent and very very stuffy.  Certainly not the sort of guy you'd expect to pick up that ball and run with it.  Anyway, that's the source of my grief herein.  Haven't you ever sauntered in to Individual Politics and wondered that it's chock full of Horrible Person/Freedom Fighter threads?  Are you a horrible person?  Are you a Freedom Fighter?  Is it possible that some folks are neither a freedom fighter nor a horrible persone?  Is it possible that most folks aren't?  Nelson Mandela?  Hell, he's just a victim.  A smarter-than-average guy who's a bit rebellious and was at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Certainly unfit to "run a nation" but not a horrible person, not a freedom fighter.  Same for any of those other people named.  Why do we have to waste such space on such questions, which at best are normative propositions with no correct answers, and at worst a complete waste of space?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 10:36:44 PM »

ah, look Boss Tweed.  I said I wasn't going to bitch anymore, so I won't.  In fact the last post wasn't so much bitching as responding to you.  And you're a young boy.  And smart and well-read and interested in public policy, so you deserve a little education here.  Here's the thing.  Of course it's a question one might ask.  One might ask many questions.  One might ask a librarian what time the library closes, for example.  That's a fair question, in the sense that the librarian can be expected not only to have that information, but to be able to politely provide it upon request.  This isn't that type of question.  What party would Tony Blair be if he were a Yankee?  First, Tony Blair isn't.  But you say, well, if the wavefunctions collapsed in such a way such that Tony Blair were a Yankee, what party would he be in?  Well, now such a superposition of states (you'll study about superposition of states in your junior-level college physics courses), a different universe exists.  And in such a universe, cats may be green, mountains may be holes in the ground, while valleys may be large objects which rise above the clouds.  In such a version of the universe (which may or may not exist!  who's to say?) Tony Blair may be a Black, Jewish, American lapdancer who is a libertarian gun-nut.  See the problem?  (of course, the simple answer to give people when they ask such a question is that Tony Blair would be a Democrat, given only the choice of D and R, and everyone and his grandmother knows that, so it certainly doesn't merit an entire thread.  But more evidently, the shape of his head has less to do with the current intranational alliances, yes I meant intra-, and more to do with his socialization, which may well have been very very different had he been socialized in a different country.  What party would Chairman Mao belong to?  Hitler?  Moussilini?  Lao Tzu?  Renee descartes?  Who knows?  Who can possibly know?  what you're asking folks to do is suspend disbelief, and what you're asking folks to do is make huge assumptions about the socializations of individuals which cannot possibly be validated.)  But--and this is important!--the fact that it's an invalid question isn't my prime concern here.  My primary concern is that when BRTD tries to prove how shallow he is, he does more than succeed.  He starts trends.  (yes, I may be blaming him on something that he didn't start.  I'm old.  Smoked too much grass and drank too much booze in my youth--a lesson to you, young man--but still, somebody started it, and he's an easy and likely target for my current abuse) and the trend in Individual Politics was one picked up with a vengeance by posters such as A18, which is a little surprising, since he's fairly intelligent and very very stuffy.  Certainly not the sort of guy you'd expect to pick up that ball and run with it.  Anyway, that's the source of my grief herein.  Haven't you ever sauntered in to Individual Politics and wondered that it's chock full of Horrible Person/Freedom Fighter threads?  Are you a horrible person?  Are you a Freedom Fighter?  Is it possible that some folks are neither a freedom fighter nor a horrible persone?  Is it possible that most folks aren't?  Nelson Mandela?  Hell, he's just a victim.  A smarter-than-average guy who's a bit rebellious and was at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Certainly unfit to "run a nation" but not a horrible person, not a freedom fighter.  Same for any of those other people named.  Why do we have to waste such space on such questions, which at best are normative propositions with no correct answers, and at worst a complete waste of space?

Ok angus, it's alright, no need to go on like this, you wanna talk about waste of space?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »

okay, I surrender, TN2024.  I apologize for calling you a moron earlier.  You're a big boy and can make up your own mind.  I obviously haven't conveyed the deep sense of impropriety, and if I haven't yet I guess I can't.  I'll just give it a rest.  Peace.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »

okay, I surrender, TN2024.  I apologize for calling you a moron earlier. 

No you were right about that.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 10:55:41 PM »

LOL.  You know I can see Angus' point  It is an unanswerable question.  There is no way of knowing and it is all based on  assumptions and it inevitably leads to some serious posturing.  This is one of the reasons why I never really want to answer the how would you have voted.....?'s.  However, I do not think there is any malice in this type of question.  It seems a harmless diversion- one which doesnt really belong on this particular board. 

Angus, you're not going to go all Charles Whitman on us at school tomorrow, are you;)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »

okay, I surrender, TN2024.  I apologize for calling you a moron earlier. 

No you were right about that.

Eh go pop a few more a dem magic pills will you, you Limbaugh wannabe
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 11:21:14 PM »

okay, I surrender, TN2024.  I apologize for calling you a moron earlier.  You're a big boy and can make up your own mind.  I obviously haven't conveyed the deep sense of impropriety, and if I haven't yet I guess I can't.  I'll just give it a rest.  Peace.

As for you, I myself go on a raging tangent such as this from time to time, I do get fustrated with the board sometimes, I read you there angus
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies