What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:11:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What party would Barbara Boxer belong to in the UK?  (Read 2621 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: February 15, 2006, 07:08:31 PM »

Barbara Boxer?  She's a moderate center-leftist.  She'd fit just fine with Liberal Democrats or Labour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 07:50:58 PM »

Barbara Boxer?  She's a moderate center-leftist.  She'd fit just fine with Liberal Democrats or Labour.

Wrong, your extreme view on what is liberal and what is conservative does not apply to real life, shes very left, SSP or Respect would fit her well

No, she's a moderate center leftist.  Certainly if you are referring to British politics she would be considered quite the moderate there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »

The whole reason I asked this was simply because I was wondering how British politics work if the far left of the Democrats don't really fit in any of the main parties.

In the first place, please do not fall for the ridiculous claims of the right wingers on the board, such as Al, TN, and angus, that someone like Barbara Boxer is a 'far leftists'. 

Also do not worry about 'ruining' this 'serious' board.  It isn't serious, obviously, and any way yours was a good question - it obviously exposed the fact that right wingers are indefatigably trying to define moderates as 'leftists'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 08:36:18 PM »

But she's AN AMERICAN.  She's a yankee doodle dandee.  It is an unanswerable question.  In any superposition of the wavefunction in which she is an English person, all bets are off!  In that version, you too may be an english person, or a mountain goat in Bulgaria, or a bacterium on the ass of a flea on the ass of a dog. 

No, it isn't like a mountain goat or a flea.  In fact an Englishman and an American are pretty much the same thing, other than a little silly cultural window dressing.  They're both humans who create political institutions, even very similar ones.

I think it is actually a fairly astute question because of the issue of exclusion of actual 'leftists' from elected office in both countries, and the different mechanisms by which this occurs.  BRTD's question asks for a comparative examination of two nation's political situations, which is precisely what one would expect in International General Discussion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »

okay, I surrender, TN2024.  I apologize for calling you a moron earlier. 

No you were right about that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies