Black history Month
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Black history Month
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Black history Month  (Read 4454 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »

The whole being uptight about drugs/sex/drinking/tending to be socially conservative are really the only parts of US culture I dislike.. the rest is all good. Especially the imperialistic tendecies.

Why?  All the imperialism has done is enrich a few people who are not you, and spread the 'uptight about drugs/sex/drinking/tending to be socially conservative' thing.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »

The whole being uptight about drugs/sex/drinking/tending to be socially conservative are really the only parts of US culture I dislike.. the rest is all good. Especially the imperialistic tendecies.

Why?  All the imperialism has done is enrich a few people who are not you, and spread the 'uptight about drugs/sex/drinking/tending to be socially conservative' thing.
What do you mean "not me"? I'd say my ancestors in the sotuhwest definately did much better in the first world US than they would have in third world mexico.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 11:46:50 PM »

I like Morgan Freeman's take on it:

"I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

He then goes on to describe how he's insulted that black history is relegated to one single month, while presumably, the other eleven months are dedicated to white history.

I would take it one step futher.

There should be no distinction between black and white history.  American history should be fully interwoven, because there can be so segregation of black accomplishments from white ones.

I am not hostile to Black History Month.  I think it raises consciousness of many parts of our history that have been ignored.  But I would say that, like affirmative action, if it is deemed to be necessary forever, then it will have failed in its purpose.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 11:51:03 PM »

My dad finds it funny how blacks get the shortest month of the year.

Rin-chan
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 12:00:31 AM »

He then goes on to describe how he's insulted that black history is relegated to one single month, while presumably, the other eleven months are dedicated to white history.

There should be no distinction between black and white history.  American history should be fully interwoven, because there can be so segregation of black accomplishments from white ones.

How is this different from what Morgan Freeman had to say about it?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 12:02:36 AM »

Why does everybody on this forum think I'm Black.

Because you write very poorly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »

What do you mean "not me"? I'd say my ancestors in the sotuhwest definately did much better in the first world US than they would have in third world mexico.

You are a hispanic?! 

Anyway, American imperialism benefits the owning class, not you and yours.

Rin-chan

And you like your ignorant father's racism, don't you?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 12:08:52 AM »

You are a hispanic?! 

Anyway, American imperialism benefits the owning class, not you and yours.

Why do you assume he isn't a member of the owning class?  Because he's Hispanic?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 12:18:51 AM »

Why do you assume he isn't a member of the owning class?  Because he's Hispanic?

No, because it is a 99% chance that he is working class, regardless of ethnicity.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 12:35:37 AM »

How is this different from what Morgan Freeman had to say about it?

DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO F*$KING ARGUMENTATIVE YOU FILTHY LIBERAL? Tongue

I guess it's mostly the same, but I think there's a subtle difference.  I don't propose that the other 11 months be 'white history' and I don't think they in fact are for just 'white history.'  Black accomplishments and contributions can be woven into general American history that is taught all the time, even if those achievements and accomplishments are highlighted during Black History Month.

Black History Month is in effect a baby step.  It's a first step in recognizing a history that was long ignored or suppressed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 02:11:11 AM »

I guess it's mostly the same, but I think there's a subtle difference.  I don't propose that the other 11 months be 'white history' and I don't think they in fact are for just 'white history.'  Black accomplishments and contributions can be woven into general American history that is taught all the time, even if those achievements and accomplishments are highlighted during Black History Month.

Freeman's point was basically just that, if February is "black history month", then supposedly, the rest of the year is dedicated to something other than black history.  Sorry, but you're going to have to agree with a black man, you goddamn racist conservative. Tongue
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 02:30:56 AM »

really?

hmm.  syllogism

Black=Kevin
Kevin=non-existent
-------------------------
therefore black people don't exist.   Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 02:35:14 AM »

really?

hmm.  syllogism

Black=Kevin
Kevin=non-existent
-------------------------
therefore black people don't exist.   Tongue

Either you are a sandcastle with a moat or George W. Bush is female.
George W. Bush is not female.
Therefore, you are a sandcastle with a moat.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »

Freeman's point was basically just that, if February is "black history month", then supposedly, the rest of the year is dedicated to something other than black history.  Sorry, but you're going to have to agree with a black man, you goddamn racist conservative. Tongue

Hah, as I said, I don't disagree with Freeman.  My comment I think was actually additive to Freeman's point, not really in opposition to it.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2006, 08:49:03 PM »

Should Black history month be celabrated or is this another PC holiday?
Celebrating AIDS, violence, malnutrition, etc...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »

Should Black history month be celabrated or is this another PC holiday?
Celebrating AIDS, violence, malnutrition, etc...

Your racism is comically ill informed, Richious.  Whites - especially gays such as yourself - also often get aids, and certainly whites commit far more violence than blacks, since they control the State.  As for malnutrition, it is caused by the owning class, not blacks. 

Perhaps you should look more to cultural acheivements and whatnot instead of these incidental issues that have no bearing on race at all.  Remember, Black culture may not be all that great, but it is a hell of a lot better than your culture. Smiley

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2006, 09:45:33 PM »

An irritant to racists, as can be seen from this thread.

Isn't it kind of racist to delegate only one month of the year to black history?  A black man thinks it is.

Do we have a white history month?

And where's my Prussian history month?  Smiley

Every August 4th I try to score with a Belgian. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 03:28:31 PM »

PC......c'mon, be honest guys......PC.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »

No, because it is a 99% chance that he is working class, regardless of ethnicity.
No I'm from a middle class family not a lower class family. The US isn't all 1% rich and 99% poor like oyu think it is.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »

He calls himself "Hispanic", not "Latino" or "Mexican" or "Chicano" or "Pocho". He's obviously middle class, Ope.

Yes, I know. There's also Hispanics from other countries, and the above definition doesn't work out so well for them.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2006, 06:24:27 PM »

Last year this time, there was a lot of black history month posters up.  Some were printed by the Government of Ontario.  One of those printed by the government listed some famous black people:

- Martin Luther King Jr
- Booker Washington
- Ghandi
- Beethoven

Hmm.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »

No I'm from a middle class family not a lower class family. The US isn't all 1% rich and 99% poor like oyu think it is.

Yes it is, stahan.  The point is - do you work?  Did your father work?

He calls himself "Hispanic", not "Latino" or "Mexican" or "Chicano" or "Pocho". He's obviously middle class, Ope.

I know nothing of their various appellations, but I certainly think he is a working class.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2006, 02:08:04 AM »

Last year this time, there was a lot of black history month posters up.  Some were printed by the Government of Ontario.  One of those printed by the government listed some famous black people:

- Martin Luther King Jr
- Booker Washington
- Ghandi
- Beethoven

Hmm.

The first two go without saying.

The third is just idiotic. Ghandi's only connection to Africa was working as a lawyer in Durban for a few months.

The fourth is based on some legend that African soldiers in the pay of the Spanish Duke of Alva "impregnated" the local Flemish women, thereby producing the tawny-skinned Beethoven. Not that Beethoven considered himself anything but an aristocratic German, but who cares what he thought about himself.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »

Yes it is, stahan.  The point is - do you work?  Did your father work?

I know nothing of their various appellations, but I certainly think he is a working class.
1 the name is STRAHA or VICE INCARNATE. Not "Stahan". Fu(kwit.

2 I'm currently a colelge student and my father is a professor at another school than the one I go to so no I'm not a lazy bum like you.

3 I see "working class" as being the lower classes. Definately NOT the middle class. My family makes above 100,000 a year. I'd say that's better off than being "working class".

4 so ANYBODY who is from a family that isn't a millionaire/can live on trust funds is a "working class"? by your defintion?
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »

Rin-chan

And you like your ignorant father's racism, don't you?

I think it's ironic (and funny because it's ironic), yes, but also very mean.  My dad is kind of racist sometimes, but I've learned to see though that and make my own decisions.

Rin-chan
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies