|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:23:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976  (Read 2849 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:52:37 PM »

Why did Ford dump Rockefeller for Dole?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:20:58 PM »

Ford dumped Rockefeller long before he selected Dole.

In late 1975, Ford was facing a challenge from Ronald Reagan for the Republican nomination.  Rockefeller was strongly disliked among conservatives, and Ford dumped Rockefeller in order to appease conservatives and try to forestall Reagan from developing into a serious challenge.  It didn't work.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:29:28 PM »

This is a great photo. Smiley

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:02:31 PM »

Yes, I believe it was taken at the 1976 Republican convention.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:00:32 PM »

It was taken in New York durring the '76 Campaign, he was being hounded by Attica hecklers.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »

He was really past caring at that stage, wasn't he.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2006, 02:31:09 PM by Kevin »

Ford would have done better if he had picked Rockefeller instand of Dole. This may have hurt Ford in the Plains states like Kansas and South Dakota and he most likely would have lost Virginia to Carter but would have picked up New York to compenste for those losses.     
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »

Ford would have done better if he had picked Rockefeller instand of Dole. This may have hurt Ford in the Plains states like Kansas and South Dakota and he most likely would have lost Virginia to Carter but would have picked up New York to compenste for those losses.     

The problem was that Ford gave up Rockefeller, and got nothing in return.

He still got a strong challenge from Reagan, and still lost almost the whole south anyway, both in the primaries and the general election.

So the jettisoning of Rockefeller only made Ford look weak and cornered, but brought him nothing positive.

Had he stuck with Rockefeller, he might have done a little better against Carter in the northeast and midwest, and I would venture to guess his chance for victory would have been greater.  Dole didn't add a lot that Ford didn't already have.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »

The problem was that Ford gave up Rockefeller, and got nothing in return.

He still got a strong challenge from Reagan, and still lost almost the whole south anyway, both in the primaries and the general election.

So the jettisoning of Rockefeller only made Ford look weak and cornered, but brought him nothing positive.

Had he stuck with Rockefeller, he might have done a little better against Carter in the northeast and midwest, and I would venture to guess his chance for victory would have been greater.  Dole didn't add a lot that Ford didn't already have.
Given how close the race for the Republican nomination was, isn't it possible that if he hadn't dropped Rockefeller, Ford may have lost the nomination to Reagan altogether?

In which case, Reagan may have lost to Carter in the general, and thus as a result not run again in 1980 (or not have gotten the nomination if he had run).

In which case, perhaps Bush gets the GOP nomination in 1980 and beats Carter.

It's always interesting to contemplate how things might have changed dramatically in the entire time line from one small change.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 04:31:09 PM »

Given how close the race for the Republican nomination was, isn't it possible that if he hadn't dropped Rockefeller, Ford may have lost the nomination to Reagan altogether?

In which case, Reagan may have lost to Carter in the general, and thus as a result not run again in 1980 (or not have gotten the nomination if he had run).

In which case, perhaps Bush gets the GOP nomination in 1980 and beats Carter.

It's always interesting to contemplate how things might have changed dramatically in the entire time line from one small change.

Good points, Eric, especially the one about how small things can have big ripple effects.

Still, I suspect that those who favored Reagan over Ford found Ford unacceptable because of what Ford did or didn't do as president, not because of who his running mate was.  I doubt very much that dropping Rockefeller really appeased anybody who was already against Ford and gung-ho for Reagan.  It's hard to imagine a Reagan 'true believer' saying, "Oh, I wanted Reagan, but now that Ford dropped Rockefeller, I'll vote for him in the primary."  Yes, Rockefeller was an irritant for conservatives, but their complaints about Ford went far beyond that.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »

He was really past caring at that stage, wasn't he.

I would be too... That's also right... Dole didn't bring anything to Ford... Rockefeller had alot more appeal with the general public... He was just like most Americans after all... Even to his death... Died while boinking his secretary... Died the way most men could only dream of.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies