Day 28: Burma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:09:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 28: Burma
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 28: Burma  (Read 1229 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bm.html

Discuss.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »

Another country that is, as far as I know, free of the scourge of McDonalds and Americanization in general.  I also hear it is a growing destination for the hobby.  I hope to visit one day soon.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »

It's a fascist dictatorship. Period.

It is said that when George Orwell was stationed there he predicted a totalitarian state through his book 1984. It had great promise to develop when it gained independence but all those years of fascism have sent it down the toilet. Heck, when they were voted out in 1989 (Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide then), they kicked the table!!

Also has a huge AIDS crisis (opebo take note), and is shunned by the rest of the world except Beijing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »

It is said that when George Orwell was stationed there he predicted a totalitarian state through his book 1984.

Well, yes, but Burma had little to do with his vision in 1984 - that was based on observation of the 'first world'.  When he was in Burma it was just a slave territory of the British. 

It is actually a fascinating story how Thailand avoided a similar fate (menaced by British in Burma and French in Vietnam), and remained quite independent.  Only Japan had better luck holding back the marauders - even China lost more sovereignty to them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:29:25 AM »

Um. Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, when he was elderly, sick, and in Scotland. He left Burma 25 years earlier.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 05:26:11 AM »

Not to be a prude but its called Myanmar now, shouldn't this country come up later?

And I hear they are moving the capital from Rangoon north to a new place in the countryside due to Buddhist astrology or something.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 05:36:35 AM »

Not to be a prude but its called Myanmar now, shouldn't this country come up later?

And I hear they are moving the capital from Rangoon north to a new place in the countryside due to Buddhist astrology or something.
Yes, and yes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 06:13:49 AM »

Um. Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, when he was elderly, sick, and in Scotland. He left Burma 25 years earlier.

He wrote a lot of it on Jura, yes (I think he finished it there; or started it. I always get dates and stuff muddled up...) Quite a bit was also written in eastern Islington IIRC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »

We're going by the CIA World Factbook listings, which still has it down as Burma.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »

We're going by the CIA World Factbook listings, which still has it down as Burma.
Which tells you more than you want to know about how accurate the CIA's informations are.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »

Which tells you more than you want to know about how accurate the CIA's informations are.

Or perhaps US government policy. I'm not even certain if we recognize Burma's/Myanmar's government as legitimate.

BTW, the current government of whateveritscalled is one of the nastiest regimes on the planet.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 09:36:40 PM »

And he only lived to be 47!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:20 PM »

Burma? you're living in the past, dude. It's called Myanmar now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:28 PM »

Burma? you're living in the past, dude. It's called Myanmar now.

I think Daniel is corect too, that the US still recognizes it as Burma. There is also no ambassador there and US policy is basically not to cooperate with the regime at all, there are heavy sanctions imposed too. Too bad the surrounding countries refuse to do the same. Of course this didn't stop the Bush campaign from making campaign gear there. More reason to hate Bush.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:01 AM »

Not recognizing the name change? That is mighty damn silly. (Not cooperating with this dreadful regime is a good thing, though.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies