Boss Tweed v. Atlasia: Decision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:21:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Boss Tweed v. Atlasia: Decision
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boss Tweed v. Atlasia: Decision  (Read 1033 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2006, 12:08:23 AM »
« edited: February 20, 2006, 10:36:56 AM by Emsworth »

As both parties have presented their arguments, Chief Justice TCash and I are now prepared to rule on this case.

Boss Tweed v. Atlasia

Justice Emsworth delivered the opinion of the Court, in which the Chief Justice joined.

Part I

The Office of Minority Business Enterprise was established in 1969 under Executive Order 11458. This organization was renamed the Minority Business Development Agency in 1979. In 2006, the Senate passed, and Acting President Ebowed signed, the Minority Business Development Agency Abolition Act, which provides:

"1. The Minority Business Development Agency is hereby abolished.
2. Any laws relating to the Minority Business Development Agency are repealed."

The petitioner, Boss Tweed, filed suit on February 14, 2006, charging that the law is unconstitutional because the Senate does not have the power to abolish executive agencies. This Court accepted the case on February 17.

Part II

In the words of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, "this case has an aura of unreality about it." The petitioner argues that, although new federal agencies may be established, they may not be abolished. It would be difficult, however, to sustain such an extraordinary proposition.

The petitioner relies on Article I, Section 5, Clause 28, which authorizes the Senate "To create the Executive Departments as it may deem necessary and to assign duties to their officers." However, we do not see how this clause is in any way relevant to this case. Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 1 indicates only five executive departments, and the Minority Business Development Agency is not one of them. Likewise, Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 as well as  makes it clear that the term "executive department" refers to a Cabinet-level organization; needless to say, the Minority Business Development Agency does not fulfill this criterion. Since the Minority Business Development Agency is merely an agency, and not a department, Clause 28 is utterly irrelevant to our analysis.

The federal government's power to establish executive agencies arises under Article I, Section 5, Clause 30, or the necessary and proper clause. This clause grants the Senate the power "to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof." The terms of this clause are broad, and encompass the power to regulate the organization and structure of the federal government. The Minority Business Development Agency Abolition Act merely exercised this power.

Finally, the fact that the Minority Business Development Agency was created by an executive order does not mean that the Senate cannot abolish it. Article I, Section 5, Clause 30, as noted above, grants the Senate the power "to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution ... all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia." This includes the power to make rules governing the validity of executive orders. It is well-established that the Senate may nullify, repeal, revoke, terminate or de-fund any executive order by legislation. Thus, the fact that the Minority Business Development Agency Abolition Act overrides an earlier executive order is of no importance.

For these reasons, we conclude that the Minority Business Development Agency Abolition Act is constitutional.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 12:10:18 AM »

Seems solid to me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »

Honestly, Emsworth, I would have voted against myself if I was on the court.  I brought this case to the court for two reasons:

1) I opposed the bill on practical, rather than constitutional grounds
2) You told TCash that you "hope(d) we'd get to decide some cases soon"

I hope you had fun.  I'll be back.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:14:03 AM »

Thank you, Boss Tweed. Though at the moment, we have more than enough to handle, so perhaps you could delay your next case for a while. Smiley
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »

Ha ha! Is that in your Ahnold voice?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies