Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System  (Read 6578 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: February 20, 2006, 07:36:27 PM »

Sounds good, except i'd like to see proportional region-based elections, and a King (or Queen) Tongue.

If you really want a stable party-based system, you could go for slate elections like Israel used to / might still do (don't think I'd support this, though).

Oh, and PB, Atlasia isn't the US. If the US were like Atlasia, every presidential election in the past 20 years would have made 2000 look like 1952 Tongue.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

My proposal (for Head of Government) is that the Senate chooses and elects a candidate from itself, and then a plebiscite be offered to see if the public approves Yes/No. If a majority of the population votes in favor, the candidate is elected Prime Minister.

My proposal (for head of State) is that somebody chooses the first King or Queen, who shall reign for up to six months, any point in which the King or Queen shall name a successor and abdicate. Not democratic, but the Head of State shall be largely ceremonial.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »

Maybe we can have a King/Queen just for show and a PM with some power and then the rest of the power lies with the branches below the PM.

I actually favor this one.

The King/Queen would have a role - knighting people, occasionally commenting  on politics, visiting foreign countries, entertaining dignitaries, etc.  Just not one that had any effect whatsoever.

Personally, I'd like the role - much more fun then being President, actually. Less responsibility, too, so I won't go and blow up the planet.

Example of what I mean.

Let's say I become King Daniel I and rule the nation powerlessly with a ham-fist for 5 months. As part of the role, I host a few parties, knight a few people, make Verin the Earl of Duluth, and a few other things. Then, I appoint Everett as my successor and abdicate, and she becomes Queen Everett I. She does her own thing, keep the royal rabbits in line, make Al Viscount of West Virginia, throw a few *hughughug* parties, and then after four and a half months tires of it, names Verin her successor and abdicates. He becomes King Verin I, he rules for six months, appoints PBrunsel who becomes King Paul I, etc...
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »

A question: why does it seem like the Brits are the most opposed to a monarchy?

And I favor eliminating districts and simply having the # of representatives elected by each region be based on population.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:54:30 AM »

Okay, i said I like the idea of a POWERLESS monarchy, one that succeeds not by birth but by the monarch naming a successor and abdicating.

If you really want, the Senate can dethrone a king or queen with a 3/4 supermajority Tongue.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 05:50:24 PM »

Senators should probably be done on a representational basis - ie one or more from each region based on population. Eliminates the looonnnggg redistricting cycles that occasionally happen (reducing it instead to the SoFA or someone saying 'Yo, this region needs another senator, this region needs no new senators, and this region should lose a senator'). Also, this keeps a certain percentage of Atlasians in government, and no more then that. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies