Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:31:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasians United for a Parliamentary System  (Read 6588 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: February 21, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

No Monarchs. Period.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »

A question: why does it seem like the Brits are the most opposed to a monarchy? 

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a Republican (although quite a moderate one in general; the existence of the monarchy in it's current castrated sense isn't more than a minor irritant. Now the Civil List (I don't want my taxes to be given to rich people) and the House of Lords on the other hand...)

One reason why having a monarchy *here* is such a disgusting and disturbing idea, is because none of you appear to understand what monarchs in the U.K or Scadinavia et al actually do (ie; f*** all)... any monarchy that we would get here would presumably have powers. And that is morally wrong.
Secondly, a monarch is not democratically elected or even appointed; they are born into it. We obviously can't replicate that here. Monarchs also claim "divine right" (if not to rule, well not anymore, but to at least reign). No comment is needed for *that*... and Monarchs cannot be removed by the democratic process.
The very worst idea is to make the GM (whoever that might be at the time) into a King or Queen. I'm sorry, but I don't want to see some tyrannical monster like Louis XIV or Charles I here. This is the 21st century for God's sake...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »

Presumably that would be the case here, they would only do ceremonial duties such as swearing in new office holders, at least under one suggestion.

The only reason why they do f*** all in the U.K or Sweden or wherever is because they are just castrated relics; there is absolutely no point whatsoever in introducing a powerless monarch here and the idea of introducing one with powers is evil. We have enough pointless mummery around here as it is, without some idiot strutting around calling himself "King".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's still fundamentally undemocratic.

I couldn't give a flying **** what Cambodia does. What exactly is the point of doing that anyway?
We do NOT need a King.

Titles go to people's heads.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies