Day 30: Cambodia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 30: Cambodia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 30: Cambodia  (Read 1114 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:27:58 AM »

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cb.html

Discuss
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:51:04 AM »

They suffered a massive population loss in the late 1970's but have made it up and then some by now.

I was always intrigued with how the Khmer Rouge evacuated all the cities and made everyone live in the countyside, that was a strange policy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »

Funny thing is, it sort of worked. Cambodia became self-supporting in agriculture during this period.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:30:12 AM »

Funny thing is, it sort of worked. Cambodia became self-supporting in agriculture during this period.

Maybe it helped that almost 40% of Cambodia's population died, nyet?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

Nyes...
that should be expected to have a long-term effect in that direction, but not a short term one (with all the disruption and suffering and such, not a lot might get done.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:30:59 AM »

This country was my favorite in the world, because it contained K11.  Alas, that wonder has been destroyed by the christian interlopers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

Nyes...
that should be expected to have a long-term effect in that direction, but not a short term one (with all the disruption and suffering and such, not a lot might get done.)

Define "self-supporting" (or did you mean "self-sufficient"?). You don't need to import food if you are willing to have a large chunk of your population to starve to death - preferably, after they've worked hard on planting for the next harvest - and leave most of the remainder underfed. If that's the standard, there isn't a country in the world that couldn't be "self-sufficient" if it were to adopt similar policies. USSR was exporting humongous quantities of food in the early 1930s - exactly the same time that 10 mln. people (at least, probably more) starved to death there. Was it self-sufficient back then? When in the late 1950s or early 1960s Khruschev started buying grain, instead of selling it, it was  not because harvests failed, nor because population grew, but because he redefined what was "sufficient" for a Soviet citizen. So, does it mean USSR was "self-sufficient" under Stalin and stopped being "self-sufficient" under Khruschev?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »

Yeah, I notice the problems with these definitions.

But the impression I got - I may be wrong - was that Cambodia's rice harvests etc actually increased in absolute terms at the time. The country had been importing quite a lot of its food before. 
Of course, it#s still not a policy I would try to recreate. That sort of goes without saying. I mean, I wear glasses. If you wore glasses in Red Khmer Cambodia, you were considered a westernized intellectual, and liable to be executed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies