If Feingold wins in 2008...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  If Feingold wins in 2008...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Feingold wins in 2008...  (Read 18267 times)
skybridge
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 02:41:07 PM »

This is a long shot, but perhaps in the present trend of things, the religious conservatives might try to deny him office, much like Lionel Rothschild was barred in England in the mid-19th century. Anyway, don't you have to take an oath to serve in Congress too?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »

The inauguration is an official ceremony of the state that should have nothing to do with religion.

And it doesn't.  It has the president-elect swear to uphold the Constitution.  The fact that it includes a religious prop does not make it a religious ceremony.

I never said the ceremony was religious.  The Bible is.  It is specific to one faith.  I am saying that it should be devoid of religion.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »

I think every person who is sworn should have a choice. I couldn't really care less.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »

The inauguration is an official ceremony of the state that should have nothing to do with religion.
And it doesn't.  It has the president-elect swear to uphold the Constitution.  The fact that it includes a religious prop does not make it a religious ceremony.
I never said the ceremony was religious.  The Bible is.  It is specific to one faith.  I am saying that it should be devoid of religion.

The idea of separation of church and state is that people have a choice, and a government endorsement of atheism is just as bad as it endorsing Christianity or Judaism or whatever.

The lack of endorsement of faith or religion is not endorsement of atheism.  It's an endorsement of nothing.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 10:32:53 PM »

The lack of endorsement of faith or religion is not endorsement of atheism.  It's an endorsement of nothing.
Good point. Separation of church and state calls for neutrality, not hostility towards religion, or hostility towards non-religion.
revas
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

hello,

Governor Lingle, of Hawaii, is jewish and took the oath of office upon a tanakh (Jewish Bible) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lingleinauguration2002.jpg
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »

Good point. Separation of church and state calls for neutrality, not hostility towards religion, or hostility towards non-religion.
In my opinion, the recent interpretations of "seperation of church and state" (and entity not even in the constitution at all) have been an utter witchhunt against all expressions of religion, and that, in my opinion, is hostility towards religion, not neutrality.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »

In my opinion, the recent interpretations of "seperation of church and state" (and entity not even in the constitution at all) have been an utter witchhunt against all expressions of religion, and that, in my opinion, is hostility towards religion, not neutrality.
The idea of separation of church and state does not constitute a vendetta against all expressions of religious views. It merely opposes expressions of religious views by the government. Private people remain free to express whatever they please.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 02:29:04 PM »

Fortunatly, we won't ever find out.  Tongue  However, I'm sure he would.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2006, 08:00:37 PM »

The idea of separation of church and state does not constitute a vendetta against all expressions of religious views. It merely opposes expressions of religious views by the government. Private people remain free to express whatever they please.
Well, the problem is "government" is being interpreted as being government employees and property etc.. rather than what it should be, explicit establishment of a religion by legislation.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 04:45:58 AM »

Pretty sure he would use the Constitution instead.

But I think the real question is would anyone actually want him to swear to uphold the Constitution using a Christian Bible that he doesn't believe in?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 02:32:10 PM »

Well, the problem is "government" is being interpreted as being government employees and property etc.. rather than what it should be, explicit establishment of a religion by legislation.

Separation of Church and State was meant to fully separate the two, not so limited as to say you can't set up an official religion. 

Based on you rules it would only be wrong it the government officially endorsed the Nazi party, but fine if they hung nazi flags throughout government buildings.  Do you actually think that?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 02:55:01 PM »

For what it's worth, I e-mailed Feingold last night asking him what he would do.  I'm not sure if he's allowed to give a response to non-Wisconites, but we'll see.
Conan
conan

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »

Having the bible sworn on at the inaugural is just to have something that means a lot to the person and that was the point. Feingold probably wouldnt want to cause any right wing contraversy and swear in on it.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 01:33:44 AM »

Having the bible sworn on at the inaugural is just to have something that means a lot to the person and that was the point. Feingold probably wouldnt want to cause any right wing contraversy and swear in on it.

He would enrage the Jewish community (a very noisy bunch) if he swore in over the Christian Bible.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:28 PM »

If Russ doesn't want to swear in on the bible for his religion, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be granted that right. What difference does it make if he wants to swear in on the Bible, the Torah, or the Talmud, as long as he does his job.

I think the problem is that Americans have never had a non-christian President, and the first one will probably endure hell from religious righters, no matter if they be Jewish (It's the same God), Muslim (Once again, the same god), or Athiest.

I feel sorry for the first non-christian President, for they will have to surely endure hell for the first year at least because of thier religion.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2006, 06:00:32 PM »

I would personally be sworn in on the Constitution, so I'm guess that's how he would do it. 
Conan
conan

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2006, 02:34:02 AM »

If Russ doesn't want to swear in on the bible for his religion, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be granted that right. What difference does it make if he wants to swear in on the Bible, the Torah, or the Talmud, as long as he does his job.

I think the problem is that Americans have never had a non-christian President, and the first one will probably endure hell from religious righters, no matter if they be Jewish (It's the same God), Muslim (Once again, the same god), or Athiest.

I feel sorry for the first non-christian President, for they will have to surely endure hell for the first year at least because of thier religion.

Actually it should be noted that many of our presidents were christian in name only or on paper or according to old state laws before the founding.  For example many of our presidents including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson while they attended Christian services, were deists along with many of the other founders and early presidents.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies