What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:43:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626371 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5100 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »

Synedoche New York.

I liked it though I'm not sure I got it. Then again, that seems to be a common reaction. Tongue

Oh I do so want to see that one!!

Tonight I watched The Iron Lady with some French friends. It was pretty good.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5101 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:48 AM »

Avengers

It was pretty good for what it tried to be.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5102 on: April 25, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »

Food Inc - didn't quite do its job, since I just had a burger Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5103 on: April 26, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »

Finally got around to The Artist yesterday. I really liked it, although I don't think it's top-tier. A bit too internal for my taste.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5104 on: April 26, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »

Fargo

I had seen it before many years ago but I didn't remember it too well.

It's an interesting film. You really can't go wrong with Buscemi. Great score too. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5105 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

Fargo

I had seen it before many years ago but I didn't remember it too well.

It's an interesting film. You really can't go wrong with Buscemi. Great score too. 
One of my all time favorites.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5106 on: April 29, 2012, 12:59:12 AM »

Safe

Plot was absolutley ridiculous of course but that's actually part of its charm. It worked for what it was supposed to be. BTW this is the third action movie I've seen all year that based on profanity seems like it was written for a PG-13 but got an R anyway (after Haywire and Safe House), which if anything is a positive sign after studios wussed away from R ratings for years.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5107 on: April 29, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »

Iron Sky.

A stupid movie but in a good way. And I rarely think that of a movie. Tongue
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #5108 on: April 29, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »

Return to the 36th Chamber
Awesome old film.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5109 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »

Reservoir Dogs. The plot was somewhat incoherent, but the acting was excellent.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5110 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »

Reservoir Dogs. The plot was somewhat incoherent, but the acting was excellent.

I seem to be in the minority but I regard that as one of QT's weaker films. Still pretty good though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5111 on: May 01, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

Apparently the users of IMDb think Avengers is one of the top thirty movies of all-time. I can't really judge because I haven't seen it yet. Oh, and it already has over 51,000 votes, and it hasn't even been released in the U.S. yet, correct?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5112 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

Apparently the users of IMDb think Avengers is one of the top thirty movies of all-time. I can't really judge because I haven't seen it yet. Oh, and it already has over 51,000 votes, and it hasn't even been released in the U.S. yet, correct?

Nothing against THE AVENGERS but I wouldn't trust IMDb users to rank ice cream flavors, let alone the top thirty films of all time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5113 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 09:35:38 PM by Eraserhead »

When well received "event" movies come out, they tend to always debut pretty high on imdb. It'll drop back soon enough. To be fair though, the movie is getting pretty incredible reviews from actual critics.

And yes, it doesn't come out nationwide in the States until 12 AM Friday.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5114 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »

So, how much do we expect Chernobyl Diaries to suck by?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5115 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

Not sure but I certainly don't have any interest in it. The found footage genre blows in general as far as I'm concerned.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5116 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »

Not sure but I certainly don't have any interest in it. The found footage genre blows in general as far as I'm concerned.

This isn't a "found footage" movie, it's shot normally from what I can tell, but it does look pretty generic and unimpressive. The best horror movies are the ones that get in your head and all, not just showing people die really gory deaths a la Saw, Hostel, etc. or simply having things jump out of nowhere.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5117 on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »

I wanna see Roger Ebert's thoughts on the Avengers before I see it.  I thought Captain America, Thor, Iron Man 2, etc. sucked and Ebert was the only major reviewer thumbs down on all three.  If he likes this, then maybe it's different.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5118 on: May 01, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »

I wanna see Roger Ebert's thoughts on the Avengers before I see it.  I thought Captain America, Thor, Iron Man 2, etc. sucked and Ebert was the only major reviewer thumbs down on all three.  If he likes this, then maybe it's different.

Actually, Ebert liked Captain America and Iron Man 2. He gave them both 3/4. He notoriously hated Thor though. Only gave that 1.5/4.

Personally I've liked all of the Marvel Studios movies except for Iron Man 2. What did you think of the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5119 on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »

Actually, Ebert liked Captain America and Iron Man 2. He gave them both 3/4. He notoriously hated Thor though. Only gave that 1.5/4.

Personally I've liked all of the Marvel Studios movies except for Iron Man 2. What did you think of the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk?

Still, 3/4 is his "meh it does it's job" rating, not a go see it one.  (He gave 4/4 to TDK, BB, IM and SM 2 for example). I really liked the first Iron Man.  The Incredible Hulk was decent, but Ruffalo replacing Norton?  I'm not so sure.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5120 on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:16 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2012, 01:15:58 PM by Eraserhead »

I wanna see Roger Ebert's thoughts on the Avengers before I see it.  I thought Captain America, Thor, Iron Man 2, etc. sucked and Ebert was the only major reviewer thumbs down on all three.  If he likes this, then maybe it's different.

Still, 3/4 is his "meh it does it's job" rating, not a go see it one.  (He gave 4/4 to TDK, BB, IM and SM 2 for example). I really liked the first Iron Man.  The Incredible Hulk was decent, but Ruffalo replacing Norton?  I'm not so sure.

Many of the reviews are saying that Ruffalo/Hulk actually steals the movie. I'm hopeful.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5121 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:20 AM »

Coyote Ugly (2000)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5122 on: May 04, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

I wanna see Roger Ebert's thoughts on the Avengers before I see it.  I thought Captain America, Thor, Iron Man 2, etc. sucked and Ebert was the only major reviewer thumbs down on all three.  If he likes this, then maybe it's different.

Still, 3/4 is his "meh it does it's job" rating, not a go see it one.  (He gave 4/4 to TDK, BB, IM and SM 2 for example). I really liked the first Iron Man.  The Incredible Hulk was decent, but Ruffalo replacing Norton?  I'm not so sure.

Many of the reviews are saying that Ruffalo/Hulk actually steals the movie. I'm hopeful.

Well, Ebert gave it a 3 out of 4.

I'm probably going to see it sometime next week once the crowd dies down.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5123 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »

Just saw The Avengers tonight. Pretty decent film. Not as great as I thought it was gonna be, but nonetheless action-packed and thrilling. Recommended.
LBJer
« Reply #5124 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »

Braveheart.  My feelings about this movie border on schizophrenic.  It's definitely extremely entertaining, although the characters are quite one dimensional.  It's fun to mimic Edward I's (Patrick McGoohan's) dialogue because of the way he modulates his voice (the "The trouble with Scotland is that it's filled with Scots!" scene is particularly noteworthy in this regard).  At the same time, however, I love history, and Braveheart is simply awful in terms of historical accuracy, even by Hollywood standards.  It's as if someone made a movie in 2700 about the Iraq War in which the war breaks out because George W. Bush finds out that Laura is sneaking into Iraq for trysts with Saddam Hussein.  As I've said before, I don't think historical movies need to be completely accurate.  It's more important to get the spirit of events right than the letter.  However, I believe there is a limit.  Real people suffered and died (and in William Wallace's case, died horrifically) because of the events depicted in Braveheart.  The fact that these events are now more than 700 years in the past doesn't mean that they were any less real.  I believe that we owe these people the respect of depicting their history an a reasonably accurate manner, rather than taking enormous and unnecessary liberties left and right.  The real story of the Scottish War of Independence is dramatic enough, one doesn't need to alter it to nearly the degree Mel Gibson does in Braveheart.

I gave Braveheart a 7 out of 10 on Imdb.  If it were pure fiction, I would have rated it much higher, but I feel I have to deduct some points because of the seriousness of the historical inaccuracies.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies