What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 631282 times)
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« on: November 18, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »

Been a while since I saw one in theaters...that would be Michael Clayton last month.  Not counting theaters...I watched some horrible made-for-TV movie on TNT last night, and I rented Oklahoma! last weekend.

I'm looking forward to Sweeney Todd this winter.  I've never heard the music, but I've had two friends whose opinions I trust tell me it's Sondheim's best work (of course, they said the same about Into The Woods, which I've never been fond of)...and Johnny Depp starring in a Tim Burton movie!?!  That is truly sublime.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »

Enchanted.  Better than expected.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »

I saw Sweeney Todd Sunday and Charlie Wilson's War Monday.  Both excellent.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »

Juno.

Two thumbs up.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:03:30 AM »

Atonement.  Had no clue what it was about before going in.  Beautiful film.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Original AFI List was such a joke I can't imagine people care that much. The real purpose in this exercise is imo to expunge the memory of that awful list (Forrest Gump but no Blade Runner... lol)

EDIT: Having looked at it via wikipedia I claim that the new list is an even bigger joke. Getting rid of The Manchurian Candidate and The Third Man (even if I do think it's a little overrated) for the likes of Spartacus, The Sixth Sense, A Night at the Opera, All The President's Men, Lord of the Rings and most unbelievably of all Titanic!!!. (And still keep Forrest Gump

Okay they added in Blade Runner, but where's Paths of Glory, Kiss Me Deadly, Rebecca, Days of Heaven At least one Movie by Lynch and Cronenberg, Once Upon a time in the West or Once Upon a time in America - if either of the latter two count, to give more deserving examples.

In short, AFI list = Pseudo-Populist humbug for the Pseudo-sophiscated crowd.

Hey, I liked Spartacus.  But, yeah...Dr. Zhivago was unbelievable, and should be reinstated posthaste.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

What the hell is the big deal with Atonement? Looks like a chick flick to me. I'd rather go to 27 Dresses than that, at least it might be funny.

Atonement is both A. a chick flick, and B. not a comedy.  Really, really not a comedy (though there are a few funny moments in it).  Without giving too much away, it's about a girl who had her sister's boyfriend arrested and shipped off to war under false pretenses coming to terms with what she did.  So, yeah, you probably wouldn't like it.

It's a great movie.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »

Watching right now - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

It is quite good.

I'm sure you liked the ending.

Damn, that was a bizarre movie.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »

The Other Boleyn Girl.

Worth seeing...but it would've been better if they'd just taken the R rather than tone it down.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

The Great Train Robbery (1903), Edwin S. Porter's movie is often called the first Western with a fully defined narrative structure. It features things such as chase scenes, cross-cutting, and a man firing a pistol straight at the screen! Though with the amount of smoke that goes up and without sound or suspense, it's not scary to the modern viewer.
Only pre-30s movie I have ever thoroughly enjoyed.

Really?  I think some of the Charlie Chaplin silents are entertaining.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »

Harold and Kumar.

I miss my $9.50.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »

Roman de Gare.  Been too long since I've seen a good French film.  Worth seeing.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »

I agree.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:11:45 PM »

Get Smart.  Better than I expected.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »

Mongol.

Go see it.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »

Like everyone else in America, The Dark Knight.  I know what Constine and the rest of you all were getting excited about, it was very good.  On my scale from 1-10, it gets an 8.8.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »

WALL-E

I rarely go to the movies (Why blow $15 when you can rent a DVD at Safeway for $1?), but I'll always go to watch the Pixar movies. AEach one seems to upstage the last, and this one was no different.

And I thought DC's movie prices were a ripoff.

Anyway, I agree it is a good movie.  And I was proud of myself for identifying the Hello, Dolly! soundtrack from the opening seconds of the movie (the second I heard the phrase, "Somewhere outside this hick town, Barnaby, there's a slick town, Barnaby").  I'm glad that Hollywood is willing to keep referring to the works of a much better cinematic era.  What I wouldn't give to see a new old-fashioned movie musical with old-fashioned music.  Not Mamma Mia.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »

My girlfriend and I are going on a double date this Friday to see Fly Me to the Moon.  Its just a simple animated G-rated movie (something my generation won't even touch), only 95 minutes long, but we're looking forward to it.  Its in Dolby-Digital 3D.

No offense, but...it looks pretty awful.  And this is coming from someone who can appreciate "children's" movies.  The only reason I'd even consider seeing it is that this guy (?) is in it:

Tell me how it is, though.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »

Vicky Christina Barcelona.  I give it an A.  I would jump on the "Woody's back" bandwagon, but I thought he was back with Matchpoint.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 11:17:16 PM »

Vicky Christina Barcelona.  I give it an A.  I would jump on the "Woody's back" bandwagon, but I thought he was back with Matchpoint.

So I take it you didn't like Cassandra's Dream?

I lost interest with Cassandra's Dream halfway through, and thought it dragged.  I did like Scoop, though.

My favorite films of his are the same ones that everyone else likes...though my personal favorite would have to be Love and Death.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »

Good movie.  Two thumbs up.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »

I just saw Mr Bean, Holiday on Thursday night and Home Alone Friday night.  Both were in house, naturally.

How was Mr. Bean?  Rowan Atkinson is one of my heroes.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »

Believe it or not, Reefer Madness.  Not standard Christmas Eve fare...and it was AWFUL.  Horrible.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »

Being John Malkovich, 1999.

Confusing, surreal, and brilliant.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a movie like it.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »

Frost/Nixon.  My first stab at this season's Very. Serious. Movies.  Quite good, but it did not in any way, shape, or form deserve its R rating.  (There's one use of the term "Motherer")

Go see it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies