What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:44:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630502 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 14, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »

Some Clint Eastwood movie from 1990-something.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »

I just finished watching "The Number 23" and I was impressed. Pretty good flick, although it has strong sexual content, violence and swearing...and is not for children.

That's probably why it was R for violence, disturbing images, sexuality and language.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »

I finally saw SiCKO yesterday.  Not a bad film... insurance is a scam, but I already knew that before this movie.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2008, 01:04:33 AM by Contrary Hypothesis® »

I saw the Dark Knight over the weekend and I've got nothing more to say about that movie that hasn't already been said.

I rented Harold & Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay in the hotel room yesterday... it was actually kind of good.  The only thing that ruined it is how they seemed to force-feed in all the pot jokes.

entire movie:

*funny scene where I am laughing*

Kumar or a minor character: "Oh, BTW, let's smoke pot because we are potheads"

---

They could've left every single one of those weed jokes out of the movie (except for the bong/bomb) and the movie wouldn't have been any different.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

The Ghost and the Darkness.

Val Kilmer is terrible.  Michael Douglas is unbelievably annoying.  A great true story's premise is stretched thin with Hollywood cliches.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

I saw two the past day.

Book of Eli. The Messenger.

Stories were somewhat eh in both, but the acting made them both interesting and enjoyable.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »

The Happening

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I must say after finally viewing this film for myself, I completely disagree with the critics here.

I no way did The Happening begin with promise.  It was dead on arrival.  I have no idea how it even got greenlighted.  Oh wait, yes I do.  Look at this completely false synopsis that M. Night submitted for it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hilarious.  Hilarious.  Although I must say Deschanel is super hot looking in this movie.  She's got hella sexy eyes.  But the trees have more personality than her character.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »

Nah.  Emily is a classy looking lady, but Zooey is definitely hotter.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »

I haven't seen a new movie in about a week and a half.  And that was Inception.  Excellent.  Nolan's best film to date.  Him and James Cameron just know how to put special effects to good use.

Nothing else has looked interesting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »

Greenberg.

Depressing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »

To elaborate, I HATED THIS MOVIE.  But that's what makes it BRILLIANT.  I think this was a movie that was meant to be hated by its creator.  It showed characters that were cynical, sexually active, financially secure and seemingly happy for themselves.  But watching them only made me mad and I think that's the message it sends: don't be like any of these people.

4/5 stars.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

The Social Network - wow.  It was absolutely amazing; Timberlake did an excellent job, so did Eisenberg.

I just saw this today, too.  Excellent dialogue and great performances by all involved.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »

Let Me In.

.....absolutely atrocious.

Looks just like a role reversal Twilight.  Why would you even bother to see it?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »

One thing that struck me when I saw it the second time: What exactly did Parker do for the company? Eduardo wasn't joking when he said suggesting to drop the "the" was his biggest contribution because that is pretty much all he did in regards to running Facebook.

He raised a ton more capital than Eduardo and had the insight to go to the hedge funds.  All the characters were both heroes and villains in their own right.

The Social Network - best movie of the year.  Strong performances from all involved, especially Eisenberg, although I actually thought the guy who played Eduardo was the weakest.

Eduardo was a weak character.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 11:26:38 PM »

Let Me In.

.....absolutely atrocious.

Looks just like a role reversal Twilight.  Why would you even bother to see it?

Uh, it's actually a remake of a far superior Swedish film which is based on a book that predates Twilight. The movie actually predates the Twilight movie too.

And based on the trailer it completely missed the point of the original since it made look like just another generic bloody slasher horror movie.

I realize that.  Remakes suck and one in a post-Twilight movie world about a Twilight-similar premise is bound to be a piece of sh**t.  Or at the very least, feature untalented, hammy horror film actors.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »

Religulous was garbage.  Bill Maher can be funny, but he can't be subtle.  His message in this film needed to be subtle.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Well done but very long.

Also there was a weird James Carville cameo in this. It kind of knocked me out of the movie for a few minutes not unlike when Tyler Perry randomly showed up in Star Trek.

I saw Carville playing the slots at the Wynn Las Vegas a month ago.  He looks even less human in person.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Interesting but clearly a little overrated.

I thought the story was great, but they could have really brought it to life with some better visuals.  Michel Gondry movies tend to have that problem.  I think he's self conscious about his indie street cred.

Speaking of Charlie Kaufman movies that could've been a whole lot better, I watched Synedoche, New York.  10% of the scenes were great while 90% was pointless filler.  Hmm... holy sh**t, I just got it.  Touche, Charlie, touche.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

True Grit.  It's always hard to tell with child actors, but I think Hailee Steinfeld has a bright future.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Interesting but clearly a little overrated.

I thought the story was great, but they could have really brought it to life with some better visuals.  Michel Gondry movies tend to have that problem.  I think he's self conscious about his indie street cred.

Speaking of Charlie Kaufman movies that could've been a whole lot better, I watched Synedoche, New York.  10% of the scenes were great while 90% was pointless filler.  Hmm... holy sh**t, I just got it.  Touche, Charlie, touche.

The minister's speech was one of the 10% though, right?

Yeah.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »

The movie starts out by saying "Park Slope 1986."  But yeah the S&W was a bit pretentious at points, but that had a lot more to do with its oddly short running time.  If Baumbach had bothered to go into all (or at least some of) the subplot points he introduced, it would've been far easier to swallow.

It makes me believe that it's a lot of a true story and he didn't want to write any fictional explanation scenes for any of their behavior.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »

The movie starts out by saying "Park Slope 1986."  But yeah the S&W was a bit pretentious at points, but that had a lot more to do with its oddly short running time.  If Baumbach had bothered to go into all (or at least some of) the subplot points he introduced, it would've been far easier to swallow.

It makes me believe that it's a lot of a true story and he didn't want to write any fictional explanation scenes for any of their behavior.

So Baumbach played a Pink Floyd song at his high school's talent show and claimed it was one he wrote himself? If so he's even cooler than I thought before.

Perhaps.  Wikipedia says, however, "Baumbach originally wanted to use the Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" instead but he could not secure the rights."

Maybe he did that with the Who.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »

The Fighter

I was originally going to see The Green Hornet, but changed my mind while in line.  I'm glad I did.  Boxing movies are getting old, but this one is great. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »

The Green Hornet

I went to the midnight showing because my dad really wanted to see it. It was alright, I guess. It actually did a somewhat decent job of paying tribute to the original radio and TV shows. It also had some funny bits and a few interesting ideas but it also contained a lot of pointless garbage. It was way too long and the 3D, as usual, sucked.

How was the dude from Inglourious Basterds? I'm sure he was nowhere near as impressive of course since it wasn't as good as a script or well-written character but I am interested in seeing him again.

The fact that Nicholas Cage turned down the role because he thought it wasn't well-written should say something.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »

Wait, Nicholas Cage turns down roles? Based on his resume he appears to be one of those actors who will start in literally any role that is offered.

Exactly.  It has to be pretty bad if Cage says no.  He left after Kevin Smith quit as director and Michel Gondry overruled all the changes Cage wanted to make.  That's right, Kevin Smith.

This movie wasn't good enough for Kevin Smith and Nicholas Cage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies