Day 32: Canada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:40:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 32: Canada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 32: Canada  (Read 2429 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: February 26, 2006, 06:57:53 AM »

Awesome country that made a big mistake on January 23 or whatever day it was. When The Economist said that Harper can call in election within 2 years and get a Conservative Majority I nearly had a heart attack.

I love that Filibuster Cartoons website that Bono told me about. Especially the beaver that represents Canada.

Now if only Alberta wasn't such a bad place, Canada would be perfect.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 09:25:39 AM »

Awesome country that made a big mistake on January 23 or whatever day it was. When The Economist said that Harper can call in election within 2 years and get a Conservative Majority I nearly had a heart attack.

The Economist got the first part right.  But a Conservative majority?  Not looking terribly likely.  Governments usually get a bump in the polls at the start purely because people give them the benefit of the doubt.  That hasn't happened at all with this one, as far as I can tell.  I've said this all along: Harper's being prime minister is most likely going to remind Canadians why they don't vote Conservative.  If Harper tries to do anything that is really conservative, he'll be out on his ass faster than you can say "Liberal majority".

So, we basically have two possible outcomes:

1. Harper doesn't govern in a strongly conservative way.  This will result in a larger likelihood of his party staying in power, but it will not result in a strongly conservative government.

2. Harper does govern in a strongly conservative way.  The Liberals, Bloc, and NDP will then no-confidence his ass out of government and he'll probably have lost a lot of support in the process.

Either way, Canada hasn't taken any sort of strong conservative tilt.  Regardless of what American conservatives would like us to be and would like to think we've become through this election, it's just not happening.

Well thats a relief. I did hear that Harper had declined in the polls. He hasn't done anything yet other than appointments so I guess I should wait and see how his governing style develops.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies